JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
s&w made the WONDERFUL 952 performance center 9mm version of the MAJESTIC 52, wish i had one. p210 gets my vote, unless we're talking compact stuff then enjoy your whatever. detonics pocket 9? i see every gun shop has a dozen sig and kimber single action single stacks and i have no experience. my kimber solo is snappier than my kahr p9

i've never shot an original. i have an american production one, it's great, better than my very accurate mk25. i generally don't factor price into "what is my favorite" unless i got some sort of braggable bargain.

i agree. if the question is what .357 to get the answer is definitely a tuned python

For carry size, I love the Kahr MK9. Trigger is technically the same as the poly guns they make, but in practice they feel worlds better on the steel framed guns. Little weighty for pocket carry, but real comfortable on the belt.

They don't even do that as well as they use to.
Hmmm, I've owned 3 Kimber 1911's, 1 Ultra size and 2 Pro size; they've been excellent. Still have a Super Carry Pro HD, it's one of my favorite firearms. Most of the time I carry a Micro 9, excellent size, reliable and accurate. About the only thing that would make them better; slightly lower prices. If you shop around though, you can usually get them for what an item of similar quality by others would cost.

Holy sexy pistol Batman!!!

I think I found my all metal 9mm!!!

upload_2018-11-23_17-52-46.jpeg

In the last few years I am shooting more 9 mm than 45s. I use to shoot 45s in competition
but the less recoil and expense of the 9 mm is more what I am into now. I still own 6 handguns
chambered in 45 acp. When the high capacity 9 mm craze hit in the early 80s I purchased a
S&W 5906 adj. sights and later on a 4690 and a 3913. Selling those archaic wheel guns
for high cap 9 mm was the trend.:(:(:(:(
I know the OP is looking for an all steel 9 mm. I too was an anti Tupperware gun guy. But
I must say after shooting my M&P 9 mm, 5" 2.0 it shoots so much better than the 5906.:confused:
Softer shooting and much more accurate. I like the way the M&P 2.0 fits my hand. I also
like the M&P with the manual safety. Feel a little more confident stuffing it into a holster
with the manual safety 'On'. Otherwise if something catches that trigger you got a
hole in your butt.:eek: My $.02 from an old gun guy. Guns I owned back in the 80's.
guns03122018.jpg

Last Edited:
I know I'm old, but I think the Browining High Power is still "King of the Nines" for a steel pistol.
If you've never handled or shot one, you should.

SIG P226 Stainless Elite with a black or gray or other dark finish (preferably nitride):

1) I have a Mk25 with "alloy" (aluminum) frame without the Elite beavertail and out of the 7 SIGs I own, it is my favorite in 9mm (I also have a 40 conversion kit for it, which I think I would prefer if ammo supply was not an issue). I prefer full sized guns. If all steel is a requirement, then the stainless Elite has a SS frame instead of aluminum.

2) I really like the DA/SA action of the classic SIGs like the 226. I have noticed that the triggers vary on these from nice to just okay - the least ok (IIRC) being my 224 (I am probably going to send that to be 'Burked' with a QTR system). I like the ability to safely carry hammer down with a cartridge in the chamber (the hammer doesn't go all the way down, it has a safety block when not cocked) and then I can be immediately into action with a DA trigger pull. Then from there on, I have a SA trigger. Then there is the decocker - a much safer way to decock the hammer.

3) The ergos work for me - especially with the Hogue rubber grips. They make the grips fatter, but for me it works fine, and I always have a secure grip with rubber grips - including when they are wet.

YMMV - but if you like CZ DA/SA guns you will probably like SIG DA/SA guns. The former are less expensive and maybe have different ergos, I have not tried one yet, but I really like my SIGs.

edited to add:

conversion kits: the 226 (and 229) have conversion kits and barrels.

You can get a kit, consisting of a slide and barrel and magazine, to shoot .40 S&W, .357 SIG and .22 LR.

If you buy a 226 or 229 (and some of the other SIGs), in .40 S&W or .357 SIG, you can usually get a 9mm conversion barrel alone (much less expensive than the full kit) that allows you to shoot 9mm in the gun with the .40 or .357 slide. The difference is that the .40 and .357 barrels have a larger outside diameter than the stock 9mm barrel, but Barsto, EFK, Silencerco and maybe some others, make 9mm barrels that have that larger diameter, thereby making the barrel properly fit the .40/.357 slide.

The .357 SIG barrel has the same outer dimensions as the .40 and uses the same mags so you can swap back and forth between the .357 and .40 with a simple barrel change.

The .357/.40 recoil spring and mag will often work with the 9mm barrel, but most recommend that you use the 9mm spring and mag instead.

Some have gone ahead and used the stock (non-conversion) 9mm barrel, but it fits the slide at the muzzle more loosely and therefore affects accuracy. Some claim you can't do this or shouldn't do it, but I have not seen any documented evidence of harm by doing so.

I have started buying my SIGs in .40 instead of 9mm because of this capability.

That said, you do need to be careful about what kits and barrels you buy; there are some differences in different generations of 9mm/.40 SIGs, with the newer barrels/slides and mags not fitting the older gen guns. I don't think this is true for the 226, but it is for the 229 as there is the 228/229 generation and the 229-1 or E2 generation. I can confirm that the newer gen (229-1) mags/slides/barrels/kits do not fit the 228/229 generation.

Another thing: the kits can be expensive - SIG MSRP ranges from $500 on up, with street prices being $300 on up. Also, SIG often does not have the kits in stock - they generally are extra parts from their standard production line - so they only sell them when they have extras.

Used kits are seen here and on the SIG forum (sigtalk) for much less - I have picked up 4 conversion kits for $200 to $250. Sometimes SIG owners have extra slides and/or barrels after upgrading their guns.

Last Edited:
I am miffed! Earlier in this thread I recommended to the OP that he get a Lionheart LN-9, I dod not understand why he does not already own one!... I am going to take my ball and go home!

Most 'classic' SIGs are currently offered mostly with aluminum alloy frames, but there are model variations, usually called "Stainless Elite" or "all Stainless" that have a stainless steel frame. The Elites usually have the beavertail frame too.

SIG offers a lot of variations of their pistol models, especially the metal frame guns (often called the classics) so you really have to do your research to know what is available. Also, SIG has special runs of certain models where they combine different slides with different frames across model lines (e.g., 224 slide on a 229 frame) - that doesn't mean that the slides and frames necessarily interchange across models - they usually don't, but they have sold them configured that way and called them "compact" or "carry" and so on.

Also, SIG is known to drop certain models that are still out there sitting new or LNIB on the market - besides the specific variations (tactical, tacops, elite, SAS, carry, compact, etc.) of a particular model, they sometimes drop the whole model line. E.G., the 228 was replaced by the 229 to facilitate .40/357, the 239 and 224 have been dropped because the market preferred plastic frames over metal in compacts (and because the plastic guns are more profitable as they are less expensive to manufacture).

CZ75 B Omega Trigger 2009 model, with Cocobolo grips and extended mag. base pad.
Oops, I forgot to add why: Value, reliability, accuracy, and smoothness out of the box.
CZ75B.112611.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews