JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Surefire X300 Turbo is what I'd recommend- less lumens more candela. These two are NOT the same thing, though you'll find that there is often an inverse correlation. Higher candela lights tend to be a bit warmer.

SureFire X300 Turbo

• 650 lumens

• 66,000 candela

SureFire X300 Ultra

• 1,000 lumens

• 11,300 candela
So lumens and candela are sort of like speaker wattage vs speaker efficiency? I don't mean that as a question, just trying to make an analogy. Sounds like candela is closer to human perception of brightness, and lumems is… something else.

Lumens is how much light regardless of the direction it goes, candela is how much light goes in a particular direction, so in the extreme a light could have 1,000 lumens but at the spot you are standing holding the gun it would have zero candela.

So lumens and candela are sort of like speaker wattage vs speaker efficiency? I don't mean that as a question, just trying to make an analogy. Sounds like candela is closer to human perception of brightness, and lumems is… something else.
1690692630672.png
Here's a good illustration, lumens are a measure of brightness and candela essentially is a measure of throw. A high candela light source will have a "beam" and will penetrate photonic barriers better whereas a high lumens light generally will have more "spill" or flood, if you will.

I'll bet our in-house light geek @Kruel J can explain it more precisely. Or look it up.

I definitely want to get the new turbo offering of surefire's x300 . It looks to have a more focused beam. We get a lot of moisture in the air where I live, and some of my brightest lights don't cut through so well. The turbo claims to cut the dust and smoke a bit better than others. Want to try it on fog/mist.

Lumens is a rating of overall output. Candela is in a particular direction. Spot beams have a higher candela generally than floody ones.

Super high lumens will light up a whole forest while a high candela spotlight will light up a tree from a long distance. There are lights that do both well but for generalizing here ya go. :D

Amazon will have an x300 A Turbo at my door in about ten hours.

Thanks for all the advice.
You won't be disappointed.

Someone mentioned ergonomics as it relates to length of reach to the switch, I doubt highly this will be an issue for you but if it is you can buy extended ones to remedy this.

Pro Tip: If a holster is important to you, make sure you can find a holster that fits your light/gun combo BEFORE you buy the light. Because once you get beyond Surefire and a couple Streamlights, holsters tend to get scarce pretty quickly.

Having used both Surefire x300 and many of Streamlights offerings. My vote goes for the x300 over the TLR-1 for indoor use. Both lights are 1k lumen but the TLR has more candela at 15k whereas the X300 is just over 11k. This makes the TLR have noticeably brighter beam that has a further throw, which I've personally found to be too bright indoors against white walls. That said, for outdoor use my vote goes to the TLR for the exact same reasons, further throw and brighter beam..
Other things to consider..
-The x300 has stiffer controls than the tlr, there has been a few occasions where I've unintentionally activated my Streamlights because the controls are very soft in my opinion.
-x300 is longer in length than the tlr1 and a little slimmer too
-TLR-1 features a strobe setting, and the x300 does not.
-x300 is almost double the price of the tlr1
Both are great lights that will serve you well and last for years to come, hope my input helps

Screenshot_20231016_162506_Photos.jpg 20200710_121824.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top