JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Top Choices, IMHO:

- 1911 - It's become quite popular in 9mm for a reason...very fun and cheaper to shoot. Great platform for customization. Can be a little finicky. Springfield in particular puts out a few nice ones.

- P-35/BHP - Classic and very ergonomic, higher capacity, though might not be as 'durable' as some more current offerings. The hot set-up used to be to get a .40 and convert to 9mm and/or .357 SIG. Some of the top 'smiths can really do some masterful work on them as well.

- P226ST. In the all-stainless configuration, very nice and soft shooting. If you can track one down and pay the coin, the rare 'Sport Stock' is REALLY nice.

- P210 - Never fired one, but by all account, particularly with its 'reversed' rail set up, and very nice trigger, supposed to shoot very well for a Long time. Big $$ tho.

Boss

Are you paying attention? HB 5340 is a Big Deal Folks, and currently under consideration (among others):

From page 9:

A person who legally possesses an assault weapon or large capacity magazine under this subsection (2)(a) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gun smith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine;:eek:

From Page 11:
(2)(a) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault weapon before January 1, 2020, and who has :eek:registered:eek: the assault weapon with the Washington state patrol may:

Best wake up and get involved - Contact your legislators, etc.

NRA-ILA | State Legislation

My fav is my T series BHP although pretty much for sentimental reasons. My dad carried it for years in the State Patrol before he retired. There are a lot of options out there and I own quite a few all steel 9mm... And have owned many more that I sold. Almost every one was a fine serviceable accurate weapon that would last a lifetime. Everything is subjective so perhaps start going to indoor ranges that rent weapons and see what feels shoots best for you. I prefer the SAO or DA/SA. Never been a fan of DAO pistols even though I have a ton of revolvers. For the price its hard to beat a CZ or variant. There are so many who copy that design and do just as good of job or better than the original. Most can be had reasonable. If I were to buy a new all steel 9 it would probably be the all stainless P226. I have the 226 extreme and its just hard to find a reason to dislike it. Perhaps not the best at anything in particular but so well rounded. BTW I love the piranha g10 sig grips. Such a positive grip. I bought them for my other sig pistols. I think you could cover your hand with grease and still keep hold of it fine. I also bought a set for a CZ variant but it did almost nothing since the grips don't wrap around the back on them. Looks nice though.

CZ tops the list, but the Sig P229 is up there too esp with E2 grips, or in Legion flavor. Do you have $1200 burning a hole in your pocket? :D

A Browning Hi Power is simething everyone should try at least once.

Sig P210 is you like classic stuff.

HK PM7 if weird but cool is your thing.

Taurus PT92 if you wanna slum. Bonus poibts if you get the gold accent Pimp version...

I have 3 CZs the 75B SA, 75 Compact and the 2075 RAMI. All steel 100% reliable all 3 as acurate as I am. Also the Browning Hi Power MARK 111 or any version is the absolute classic 9mm simi auto. Personally I have owned several polymer frame stricker fire pistols and have traded or sold all of them. I'm just not a fan.

Soooo, did the OP make a purchase decision? I've read the entire thread and there are a lot of great options. It wasn't clear whether the new purchase would be a target only or multi-purposed pistol.

I confess that I have a love affair with the metal Gen3 S&W pistols in 9mm and .40 S&W. I own more than a dozen models but only one 9mm is in my carry rotation - a single stack model 3953. It has no complicated manual of arms and is a tack driver. I carried revolvers on the job for over 33 years and find the half-cocked trigger on most of the Smith and Wesson DAO pistols to be smooth and easy.

If you are still looking, check out the steel WatherQ5 Match SF.

Last Edited:
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the S&W 940. Carried one or two for years till I sold off much of my collection two moves back before moving into hostile territory.:( Easy to carry and ten quick shots. If carrying two.:D Really wish Smith would bring them back along with the "J" comp, never should have sold the one I had, two cylinders one in 9mm and one for .356 TSW (9x21).:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top