JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
None of it offends me. I can read, I understand sarcasm and fun-poking and know when I'm being antagonized; but it's easy enough to just not respond to those parts. I have plenty to say that doesn't require getting angry, and I have twelve years of military experience keeping my bearing. I always prefer if we all just talk to each other respectfully, but I am only in control my half of it. Please continue asking questions, it gives me an opportunity to explain and hopefully increase that mutual understanding. I will only drop out of a conversation if there's nothing constructive happening anymore at all, as sometimes happens.

I agree, that does seem like cognitive dissonance if you assume that we see those things the same way you do. That's the main reason I'm here at all; to provide some insight on how and why those of us who hold these views do so, and to try to start building a bridge over a huge gap in the gun community. There are a lot of left-leaning gun owners out there, but very few want to be public about it. Most gun organizations and communities aren't very friendly to us, but we are the reason that the democratic party has not had success banning guns in any effective way.

We do not see the "hate america" that you see in the Democratic party. We also don't see much effective banning of firearms happening.
To build bridges we need common ground in my opinion. If folks can't talk and ask questions then where is the common ground? If it has to be a hate filled struggle to find common ground then we can never build a good community of gun owners that respect each other. That's what seems to be lost between the groups, respect.

Tell you what, I won't ask anymore questions and just as Andy says, I will move on. The community doesn't seem to be ready and willing to drop the hate and work toward a peace with common ground.

Have a great day guys.

To build bridges we need common ground in my opinion. If folks can't talk and ask questions then where is the common ground? If it has to be a hate filled struggle to find common ground then we can never build a good community of gun owners that respect each other. That's what seems to be lost between the groups, respect.

Tell you what, I won't ask anymore questions and just as Andy says, I will move on. The community doesn't seem to be ready and willing to drop the hate and work toward a peace with common ground.

Have a great day guys.
I agree completely. Unless I missed a post, nothing you have said or asked has been out of line from my perspective. I'm not gonna go off the deep end; it would be nice to actually have one of these conversations go on for a while in a friendly way without locked threads. hahaha! :)

I agree, that does seem like cognitive dissonance if you assume that we see those things the same way you do. That's the main reason I'm here at all; to provide some insight on how and why those of us who hold these views do so, and to try to start building a bridge over a huge gap in the gun community. There are a lot of left-leaning gun owners out there, but very few want to be public about it. Most gun organizations and communities aren't very friendly to us, but we are the reason that the democratic party has not had success banning guns in any effective way.

We do not see the "hate america" that you see in the Democratic party. We also don't see much effective banning of firearms happening.

A political party regularly states they want to ban items I own. People who vote for those politicians/party are clearly ok with that premise. If I refuse to comply with a potential ban, I could be imprisoned, therefore, by default, people who vote for these politicians are ok with that too because it is simply the fruition of the goal that was achieved.

Support for a political party is support for ALL the platform/decisions/outcomes that they push for, you sign your name onto everything they do and you don't get to pick and choose.

There is a huge list of non-starters where if a person holds certain beliefs, there is simply not enough moral fiber to share common ground on any matter of substance.

Gun ownership is not, by itself, virtuous. Is that rather clear why it's hard to find common ground or be accepted?

Here's a note on the specific topic of the thread: While I have seen a ton of democrats buying guns for the first time, I have not seen any outspoken anti-gun folks doing so. Most of the democrats I know are not anti-gun at all. Some of them have very simplistic views about firearms in general, and I am doing what I can to share information on the nuances of the issue with them. The rabid anti-gunners aren't out there buying firearms. For the most part it's the ones who never really had an informed opinion or cared much, who are looking around at the world devolving into chaos and deciding that having a handgun available for emergencies isn't a terrible idea. Some are going a step further and getting a concealed permit. All of them are getting more education about what guns are and are not, proficiency in the use of those firearms, and a personal stake in the gun rights issue.

Support for a political party is support for ALL the platform/decisions/outcomes that they push for, you sign your name onto everything they do and you don't get to pick and choose.
Actually we do get to pick and choose. That's what America is about. I may vote one way to support gun rights, but doesn't mean I by default support every piece of nonsense a conservative legislature or politician promotes or voted on. That's just plain simplistic thinking that doesn't actually represent real people. I love my guns, and will vote to keep them always, but doesn't mean I'm gonna continue to support things I don't agree with from those same politicians.

Not to mention we as citizens get to vote on many different aspects of how our country and state are run, I think for myself. Even if a politician is gun friendly, but is also promoting ridiculous legislation, I'm not gonna vote for him just cause he or she is telling us gun folk what we wanna hear. That's just not realistic for a lot of voters.

A political party regularly states they want to ban items I own. People who vote for those politicians/party are clearly ok with that premise. If I refuse to comply with a potential ban, I could be imprisoned, therefore, by default, people who vote for these politicians are ok with that too because it is simply the fruition of the goal that was achieved.

There is a huge list of non-starters where if a person holds certain beliefs, there is simply not enough moral fiber to share common ground on any matter of substance.

Gun ownership is not, by itself, virtuous. Is that rather clear why it's hard to find common ground or be accepted?
I understand, it is clear, and it's something that I'm trying to change as I am able. There is not a political party out there that has a platform that I am in 100% agreement with; if my vote is a statement of lockstep agreement with ALL the platform/decisions/outcomes of whoever I'm voting for, I would not be capable of voting at all. In fact it would concern me if that were how most people thought about their vote. I don't know many people anywhere on the American political spectrum that have never begrudgingly voted for what they saw as the lesser of two evils. Personally, I do so every time I cast a ballot.

Isn't the whole goal of this website to promote more gun ownership and education on gun rights in order to help sway those that may not be voting with gun rights in mind? What are you doing as staff here if you're basically against the main reason for the website?
I'm against anyone that votes for people that want to take our rights away. Just because someone buys a gun DOESN'T mean they automatically support the 2A. Not by a long shot.

As far as my "staff" status......one has nothing to do with the other. I have my OWN opinions and those don't change because of some title.

I'm against anyone that votes for people that want to take our rights away. Just because someone buys a gun DOESN'T mean they automatically support the 2A. Not by a long shot.

As far as my "staff" status......one has nothing to do with the other. I have my OWN opinions and those don't change because of some title.
I respectfully disagree on all counts.

Sorry, I can't separate the two. The purpose of the website is made clear, you as staff don't support that purpose. It's hard for me as a new member to ignore that fact.

That's a real shame.

Also, you might want to review the rules. Specifically number 7.

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
It is only a matter of time before the people of the United States, whether they identify as left or right, will unite to fight the true enemy: an oppressive government and those that support it. I would welcome anyone who would be willing to risk all for the sake of freedom. The intent of the 2nd is to ensure we have the tools.

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
It is only a matter of time before the people of the United States, whether they identify as left or right, will unite to fight the true enemy: an oppressive government and those that support it. I would welcome anyone who would be willing to risk all for the sake of freedom. The intent of the 2nd is to ensure we have the tools.
Indeed, I don't trust anyone who thinks they have the luxury to pick and choose when it comes to the 2A. Stinks of elitism.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top