JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Progressives scream about Universal Health Care. Obamacare (ACA) passes to much liberal fanfare.
Then they have to live by it and hated it... by God it wasn't supposed to be for them, it was supposed to be for those people .

Mostly peaceful protests. Defund the police. .
Then it comes into their gated community and they scream for the police... WHY AREN'T THEY HERE YET?!?

School vouchers and charter schools present an existential danger to the public school system... says politicians and union reps who send their kids to private schools.

Guns are bad, nobody should have one... except for my private security detail.

Only military and police should have AR15s... until DJT is commander-in chief of the military and Chief executive of the DOJ... not so sure of that anymore, are ya.
2017: No
2018: No
2019: No
2020: Uuuuhhhh...
2021: Yep. Totally consistent.

All Cops Are Bad... expand the budget and powers of the Capitol PD. Build that WALL!!... around our workplace.

Why are you resisting the lockdown orders?! Do your part! ...says people who are still employed, working for. Gov, and traveling at will on the taxpayers' dime

The filibuster is a Jim Crow relic says the party that set the filibuster record of 83 days... against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Past is prologue, said William Shakespeare. Progressives NEVER seem to comprehend that the things they endorse and/or impose on the citizenry will someday effect their lives. I wouldn't expect new progressive gun owners to be any different. Many were shocked at the BGC, form 4473, waiting periods, and equipment restrictions. Wait a minute, that's for those people, not me... I'M A LIBERAL!

I fully believe the huge majority of the new gun owners will continue to vote just the way they have been. They're not going to change their core beliefs that gun are dangerous, and should be heavily regulated. You know, because they feel they are safe with them, but most other people aren't and should be required to have FOID cards, training certificates and all manor of strict regulations that basically render firearms useless for self defense. And they are totally accepting of such regulations. As a matter of fact, there are people right here on this forum that have spoken those exact sentiments.

Exactly this. All these "new gun owners" aren't going to support the 2A when they vote. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care one bit about them and refuse to take them out shooting unless I KNOW they are going to start voting for our rights.

I vote democrat and am a long-time active gun owner. I have many peers who do the same, and have helped several left-leaning people buy their first firearms this year and trained them up as best I could. As several have said here, the main reason for these seemingly divergent values is that we generally don't put gun rights as high up the priority list as a some other issues (which are all off-topic, so we won't mention them).

What we do, though, is put pressure on the people we vote for to temper the anti-gun fervor. We are not going to just start voting for an entire system of values that we don't support just to avoid some potential infringement of our gun rights. However, what we do is necessary and helpful; when I am presented with two candidates whose views are otherwise similar and acceptable to me, I pick the one with the more gun-friendly (or in some cases, less gun-restrictive) position. I also mention the issue every time I interact with any of my representatives, which is fairly often.

Another factor is that "we" generally do not view the current legal threats against our gun rights as being very serious or earth-shattering. For instance, I do not see background checks for private transactions, waiting periods, age restrictions, or red flag laws as an infringement, and most of the feature-based restrictions that some states have in place are pretty silly: an AR-15 without a thumbhole stock is just as effective as a normal AR-15. Magazine size restrictions do bother me some, and I make my voice heard about it.

Another difference is that there isn't a lot of "pry it from my cold dead hands" among liberal gun owners. I'm not willing to die or go to prison leaving my family in a tough spot over 30 round magazines or thumbhole stocks. In fact, I'm not willing to die or go to prison over a right to firearms at all. My physical freedom and life are more important to me and my family than my guns are. That said, I respect everyone's right to die on whatever hill they decide to; this just isn't my hill.

Mahalo, Bob

Last Edited:
I vote democrat and am a long-time active gun owner. I have many peers who do the same, and have helped several left-leaning people buy their first firearms this year and trained them up as best I could. As several have said here, the main reason for these seemingly divergent values is that we generally don't put gun rights as high up the priority list as a some other issues (which are all off-topic, so we won't mention them).

What we do, though, is put pressure on the people we vote for to temper the anti-gun fervor. We are not going to just start voting for an entire system of values that we don't support just to avoid some potential infringement of our gun rights. However, what we do is necessary and helpful; when I am presented with two candidates whose views are otherwise similar and acceptable to me, I pick the one with the more gun-friendly (or in some cases, less gun-restrictive) position. I also mention the issue every time I interact with any of my representatives, which is fairly often.

Another factor is that "we" generally do not view the current legal threats against our gun rights as being very serious or earth-shattering. For instance, I do not see background checks for private transactions, waiting periods, age restrictions, or red flag laws as an infringement, and most of the feature-based restrictions that some states have in place are pretty silly: an AR-15 without a thumbhole stock is just as effective as a normal AR-15. Magazine size restrictions do bother me some, and I make my voice heard about it.

Another difference is that there isn't a lot of "pry it from my cold dead hands" among liberal gun owners. I'm not willing to die or go to prison leaving my family in a tough spot over 30 round magazines or thumbhole stocks. In fact, I'm not willing to die or go to prison over a right to firearms at all. My physical freedom and life are more important to me and my family than my guns are. That said, I respect everyone's right to die on whatever hill they decide to; this just isn't my hill.

Mahalo, Bob
It's odd to seemingly take pride in voting for the party that seems to consistently demonstrate with their actions and ideologies that they hate America.

The very possession of items that the party continually tries to ban seems to be major cognitive dissonance.

Just tossing this out here...

It is wise , when replying to a post , to do so respectfully and within forum rules.

Posting comments that incite divisiveness are not helpful in promoting conversation.
Using labels , blanket general statements and assumptions are also not very conducive to a civil discussion.

Something else to consider here is , maybe the reply one wishes to send , might be best in a PM , so as not to derail a thread.

The above is not aimed at anyone in particular...Just posting as a reminder / suggestion , because threads like these tend to go awry
Andy

Exactly this. All these "new gun owners" aren't going to support the 2A when they vote. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care one bit about them and refuse to take them out shooting unless I KNOW they are going to start voting for our rights.
Isn't the whole goal of this website to promote more gun ownership and education on gun rights in order to help sway those that may not be voting with gun rights in mind? What are you doing as staff here if you're basically against the main reason for the website?

About Northwest Firearms

We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. It is our mission to encourage, organize, and support these efforts throughout Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

So who is it your liberal friends fear enough to go out and buy guns.? :s0093:
Take a look around, you can probably guess. This last year had riots and counter-riots in many of their neighborhoods, political extremist groups shooting each other all over the country, armed attacks on government and civil institutions, politically motivated shootings and brawls in neighborhood parks, a marked uptick in shootings, countless public threats on the internet of politically-motivated violence from extremists on all fringes, armed civilian checkpoints during natural disasters, looting and arson in urban and rural areas alike, severely delayed police response... the list of reasons to be capable of defending yourself from other armed people goes on and on. A lot of people are just realizing these things now.

Take a look around, you can probably guess. This last year had riots and counter-riots in many of their neighborhoods, political extremist groups shooting each other all over the country, armed attacks on government and civil institutions, politically motivated shootings and brawls in neighborhood parks, a marked uptick in shootings, countless public threats on the internet of politically-motivated violence from extremists on all fringes, armed civilian checkpoints during natural disasters, looting and arson in urban and rural areas alike, severely delayed police response... the list of reasons to be capable of defending yourself from other armed people goes on and on. A lot of people are just realizing these things now.
My curiosity tends to ask more questions, does it bother you that I ask questions and are you offended that I do? Do you feel my approach adds to division or understanding?:s0093:

Good, more people should buy guns. All this BS about not accepting these particular gun owners for whatever reason is damn silly especially on a website that literally exists to promote gun ownership and gun education. I don't care who you vote for, owning a gun helps the cause period. I'll take anyone shooting if they so have the desire to learn about one of the most important rights they have.

It's odd to seemingly take pride in voting for the party that seems to consistently demonstrate with their actions and ideologies that they hate America.

The very possession of items that the party continually tries to ban seems to be major cognitive dissonance.
I agree, that does seem like cognitive dissonance if you assume that we see those things the same way you do. That's the main reason I'm here at all; to provide some insight on how and why those of us who hold these views do so, and to try to start building a bridge over a huge gap in the gun community. There are a lot of left-leaning gun owners out there, but very few want to be public about it. Most gun organizations and communities aren't very friendly to us, but we are the reason that the democratic party has not had success banning guns in any effective way.

We do not see the "hate america" that you see in the Democratic party. We also don't see much effective banning of firearms happening.

Also just tossing this out there....

In the words of Strother Martin :

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men , you just can't reach."

We have a ignore feature here at NWFA...it may come in useful.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top