JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No disrespect to those talking about paranoia, as I understand a person does not want to live in fear HOWEVER common sense needs to be applied. I still go and shoot in out of the way areas but am more careful now. A friend who was a private investigator and lived in a house that was set back from the street related to me about answering the door to a stranger with a 38 revolver in his rear pocket. I told him he was getting paranoid- HIS REPLY WAS " PARANOID PEOPLE ARE HARDER TO KILL". I thought this was a great response, especially when human nature is "it will never happen to me".

No disrespect to those talking about paranoia, as I understand a person does not want to live in fear HOWEVER common sense needs to be applied. I still go and shoot in out of the way areas but am more careful now. A friend who was a private investigator and lived in a house that was set back from the street related to me about answering the door to a stranger with a 38 revolver in his rear pocket. I told him he was getting paranoid- HIS REPLY WAS " PARANOID PEOPLE ARE HARDER TO KILL". I thought this was a great response, especially when human nature is "it will never happen to me".

This type of thing is why I installed a video cam security system. I know who/what is at the front door before I walk over and open it. but now...

I have these side windows on each side of my front door. Never thought much about it until I seen this video of a home owner walking up to his front door at 3AM and was shot down, through his door side windows.

I suggest you don't watch this, it will ruin your day, but if you must, here are the search words to find it "sheriff shoots homeowner through window".

Who ever comes to your door should NOT be able to see you on the other side. If they can, you might die because you have a gun in hand, inside your own home.

I am now planning on frosting my side windows. I won't even walk over to the door with a gun unless it is stuck in my belt, on my back and concealed.

If you have windows on the door or beside your door I suggest you remove, paint or frost them. Seeing you with your own gun in your own home is now a justifiable reason to kill you.

~

It's hardly paranoid to see/hear the news (any flavor, left - right), or simply understand a tiny little about history... enough to acknowledge that this grotesquely overpopulated planet and country are suffering from what happens when you leave too many rats in a cage. Pragmatically, I favor the posture of being observant, equipped and prepared.

My condolences to families of the victims. Truly tragic.

While this is a tragic incident, I am relieved to hear the report saying suicide. I cannot understand what would drive someone to do that. My heart goes out to next of kin and friends.

I said relieved, because the other option, (murder by someone else), is not something any of us care to worry about.

While this is a tragic incident, I am relieved to hear the report saying suicide. I cannot understand what would drive someone to do that. My heart goes out to next of kin and friends.

I said relieved, because the other option, (murder by someone else), is not something any of us care to worry about.

Unless something changed last report I read said homicide.

This is not to say the woods are a safe playground and one has to maintain a certain level of 'awareness' when out - but it does not need to be at a 'paranoid' level.
Anyone who thinks it does should probably stay out of the woods.
I agree crime in the woods is lower in general, but known public shooting areas in particular seem to attract some of the skeeviest characters I have ever seen, city or rural. I think a lot of the meth heads like to come there for the scrap value of the brass, but some of them are looking for more than that.

There was a case exactly like this back in the '70s. A man was target shooting at a site on Larch Mountain when two teenagers drove by, saw he was alone, and shot him from a distance, "just to see what it was like." There was no interaction, and the man had no chance to protect himself.

Several years ago I was up in the Gifford Pinchot nf dialing in my elk rifle.
I was backed into a landing on a dead end forest Rd at the edge of a clear cut.
I was shooting my 300win mag from a prone position when I heard a truck rolling up.
As I stood up, the SUV had parked in a way that blocked me in. I could see two men in the vehicle.
The two guys got out of the vehicle and started walking towards my truck.
I grabbed my ar that was laying on my tailgate cocked and locked, and walked around the truck meeting both men and said "how's it going guys?".
Neither man said a word, both turned around and got in their vehicle and left.

I'll never know what would have happened that day had I not been prepared like I was, but I can imagine it would have not been good.

We go to GPNF a lot. Most people we encounter are Rangers. We go near Skookum Meadows, and I have permission to use a closed FR near the Meadows. I lock the gate behind me. Before this, 2 rough looking guys in a red van tried to approach our campsite and sit, just off FR 3220. I had my wife, daughter and English Mastiff along. When I came around to see who they were, the stared at me and drove back the way they came. They weren't campers, hikers etc. Guess the .45 on my hip changed their minds. I later asked at the Ranger Station about the vehicle. The Ranger on duty said they have had 2 other reports. So when we go to harass the Bigfoots, lol, we go where few people go for this very reason. Too remote and some not so law abiding people.

Last Edited:
Well, I give up! Can't find anywhere where they say it was suicide. Only what K101.1 said on the 3 O'clock news. Everyone else is saying homicide.

the sheriff department said homicidal violence but not releasing how. I would guess shot but knifings are very popular now days . it shows the gun control the commies are voting in is working.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top