JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will still go out and shoot , camp , hike , etc...
I will not allow the worry of "What if...? " to control my life.
Yep - as I always have, and will continue to do so.

And an edit to this line:
I will not allow the worry, OR PARANOIA, of "What if...? " to control my life.

I'm not paranoid shooting out in the hills but by the same token there is always at least one loaded gun, including when it's time to leave. If I don't know you you're probably not going to feel comfortable coming up to us anyway since my friend says I don't look very friendly.

I guess it's a little different on this side - and specifically where I live.
When I go shoot in the woods it's not necessarily in a 'remote' location. Heck a couple spots are only a few miles from me and basically just out of town.
So I can honestly say I don't really shoot 'remotely' - or have than impression.
A few people occasionally drive by but most likely other locals just out for a ride, and maybe a dirt bike or two ride by but never anything threatening - it all has a very 'local' feel and the few people I do encounter (very few actually - most of the time none) are friendly and locals as well.

I basically grew up "in the woods"
There was never anything that was much enjoyment, unless it involved being out there.
Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, biking. Always enjoyed the exploring aspect. That's never changed.
Going shooting, I step out my door. My rules.

I guess it's a little different on this side - and specifically where I live.
When I go shoot in the woods it's not necessarily in a 'remote' location. Heck a couple spots are only a few miles from me and basically just out of town.
So I can honestly say I don't really shoot 'remotely' - or have than impression.
A few people occasionally drive by but most likely other locals just out for a ride, and maybe a dirt bike or two ride by but never anything threatening - it all has a very 'local' feel and the few people I do encounter (very few actually - most of the time none) are friendly and locals as well.
Having lived in Bend 25 years, I believe it is a much different climate/culture. We were 7 miles from a big cinder pit out by Coyote Butte. Burned off a lot of ammo there. Only problem we ever encountered was carelessness of young shooters. Never-the-less.... changing target time one of us always carried either a pistol or rifle down range and back. When we moved out of Bend the culture was changing. People were shooting at glass bottles and leaving their debris all over. Old cars and washing machines were being dumped and shot at. We started seeing a lot of Cali plates and non-English-speaking gun wavers. And then the libs started writing editorials in the Bulletin about wanting to stop the shooting out there because they like bike-riding near there and were ....afraid... two dead bodies is a serious wake-up call.

Just saw this on KOIN.com
Not sure what happened yet.
Head on a swivel for those that shoot there.

This exactly why I use "organized" ranges e.g. public ranges or clubs.
My first guess is that it was a m*rder s*icide.
LB

I am very blessed. My personal range is less than 6 miles from home on several thousand acres owned by a local family my company has worked with for years. I am damn near his land lawyer.

In a secluded, gated draw with only one way in and it is a straight 1/4 mile from the gate to where I shoot.

You would have to be actively hunting me from cover and a committed approach. Not gonna happen.

BUT, I will probably never empty all the guns at the same time ever again!

Very sad.
ALWAYS be aware of your surrounding! Always!
ESTACADA, OR (KPTV) - The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office has identified the man and woman who were found dead in the Mount Hood National Forest near Estacada.
At around 9:45 a.m. Monday, deputies and U.S. Forest Service officers responded to a 9-1-1 call from someone who discovered two bodies.
The sheriff's office said the bodies of Stacy Jean Rickerd, 42, and Jeremy David Merchant, 43, both of Estacada, were found in the area of a shooting pit off 4615 Road and the 130 Spur.

Investigators initially called the deaths "suspicious."
The Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office determined that both died of homicidal violence.
No arrests have been made, and the sheriff's office said they have no suspect information to provide at this time.

The sheriff's office said a dog named Talladega was also located at the scene. Talladega was safely captured and taken to Clackamas County Dog Services before being placed in the care of family members of the deceased.
No other information has been released at this time as the investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the sheriff's office tip line at 503-723-4949 or web3.clackamas.us/contact/tip.jsp. Please reference CCSO case number 19-018794.

This is not what I expected. Time to step up the awarness & caution .I would Like to know if they had Guns stolen .

Last Edited:
A few personal rules I try to observe...

Stay armed, everyone in the party. And keep at least one armed companion back near the weaponry when hiking out to place targets.

I've shared de facto "ranges," gravel pits, etc., with complete strangers at times (after observing range discipline sufficiently satisfactory to not make me pack up and split for my own safety). But I've also wondered how noobs (and seasoned shooters alike) could walk out 100 yards, unarmed, to examine targets, leaving attractive new ARs, AKs, etc., unattended on card tables and tailgates. This is especially unwise when scabby, gray-faced zombies arrive in a beater Datsun, looking for a place to hit the pipe, cook meth, forage for "abandoned" brass while shooters are present... or snack on the flesh of living humans.

As retired military using base ranges, I observe their "no loaded guns on the bench" protocol, leaving weapons un-magged with actions open during those 5-minute intervals when everyone walks downrange to patch targets and ridicule buddies. Invariably, range masters discretely ignore the loaded sidearm on my belt.

Avoid shooting with people who could possibly believe murder/suicide might be an appropriate agenda item for the day.

My condolences go out to the family of the two deceased. Such a senseless loss.

Of all the years I've spent trekking across the Northwest the scariest thing I've come across walked on two legs.

As many on this forum have pointed out it is wise to keep a loaded firearm on your side whenever we go off into the woods.

It is also important to remember that a firearm is simply a tool...and the best tool and weapon we all possess rests between our own ears.

Have a plan, use your brain, trust your gut, and be safe.

My condolences go out to the family of the two deceased. Such a senseless loss.

Of all the years I've spent trekking across the Northwest the scariest thing I've come across walked on two legs.

As many on this forum have pointed out it is wise to keep a loaded firearm on your side whenever we go off into the woods.

It is also important to remember that a firearm is simply a tool...and the best tool and weapon we all possess rests between our own ears.

Have a plan, use your brain, trust your gut, and be safe.
I wish I could like this several times. Poo-land, Oregon is now an "urban jungle" ; you need to keep
your wits about you at all times- even in your own home. Be safe out there.

L.B.

I wonder if there are missing firearms.
There was a case in Oregon (?) where someone asked to look at an AK copy, loaded it out of his
pocked and started to walk out the door.
There was also a case in S. Warehouse where someone picked up some .357 ammo off the shelf, asked
to look at a .357 gun at the counter and loaded it...
Be aware and alert at all times...
L.B.

Have not heard additional details relating to this but the scene I saw on the news looked similar to the area around Hillock Burn. This has several areas where people shoot. I always have a concealed loaded handgun on me when I shoot. I do at times go alone but this is not wise I realize. Several years ago two shooters were killed by three young men in a thrill kill on Larch Mountain at a shooting site. They waited till the two shooters had fires all rounds and I think the target shooters were walking forward to check their targets when they were gunned down. This is not the first time this has happened as I recall the criminals that were involved in the famous shootout with the FBI in Florida years ago had acquired one or more firearms by killing a target shooter. I did have an incident several years ago on Larch Mountain. I had a new 338 mag and drove with my wife to this area where I knew of a clear cut to shoot. The clear cut was at the end of a dead end road about a half mile from the main gravel "loop road". As we left the main road driving in to the clear cut I just happened to notice the grill and headlights of a truck protruding from the brush where there was no road. I watched and to my surprise , the truck pulled out of the brush and sped up after us. I accelerated to near the end of the road, pulled off, jumped out and pulled the 338 from the rear seat just as they got to where we were. I did not , of course point this firearm at anyone, just had at port arms. It was unloaded at the time. They went on a short distance turned around and disappeared. I fired a couple rounds at a stump. Reloaded and drove out with much concern.

I think they may have been dope growers watching their crop somewhere near but this is just guess on my part. Always been locked and loaded since.

This is a tragic and horrible incident and I hope whoever is responsible is located and apprehended soon - or a 'better' outcome...
However I do not want to seem insensitive but statistically one is more likely to be a victim of criminal violence in an urban area as opposed to a remote forest area.
This is not to say the woods are a safe playground and one has to maintain a certain level of 'awareness' when out - but it does not need to be at a 'paranoid' level.
Anyone who thinks it does should probably stay out of the woods.
This being said however in all my years of 'woodcraft' I have encountered people 'out there' who are so naive and unaware of their surroundings it is almost incomprehensible.
I have had the 'Griswalds' in the family Vanster drive into my sometimes remote campsite and start asking questions about the flora and fauna of the area - and sometimes I have had a group of friends with me and, well, we weren't' always the best dressed, or cleanest and with guns on our hips yet these 'babes in the woods' showed no concern and still approached us.
Maybe between the lines we looked 'OK' or gave off positive 'vibes' but the complete lack of any awareness by these types almost scared me!
I have also encountered urban lib-glampers whose eyes have darted between mine and the 'Big iron on my hip' and have sometimes asked me why I am carrying.
The fact remains if one displays any weaknesses, lack of awareness or gullibility when encountering people this can be easily 'seen' by potential criminal types and and in a worst case scenario - acted upon - but if some basic observation and awareness were maintained and displayed - and above all not blindly entering into an 'unknown' or uncertain situation things like this could be avoided.

It's not paranoia if it really can happen. Paranoia is worrying about something that probably wont happen. If you have a concealed carry license, and you carry, are you paranoid? Or are you using common sense and being prepared for the worst?
I personally will always prefer to carry and never use it. But I sure don't want to not carry and wish I had it when that once in a lifetime instance happened.

It's not paranoia if it really can happen. Paranoia is worrying about something that probably wont happen. If you have a concealed carry license, and you carry, are you paranoid? Or are you using common sense and being prepared for the worst?
I personally will always prefer to carry and never use it. But I sure don't want to not carry and wish I had it when that once in a lifetime instance happened.
Guns are like parachutes--if you need one and don't have it, you'll never need one again...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top