JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many years ago two scumbags shot and killed a couple target shooters up on Larch Mountain just for fun. Odd as it may sound, my dad was the LEO who later caught them.

Had two incidents up on Salmonberry shooting alone. The first time I got a weird feeling while shooting, turned around, gun on the ready. There was a guy three feet behind me, picking up my brass, still hot. He backed away facing the muzzle of my G20.
The second time, a guy and his "daughter" came up and asked if they could pick up brass while I was shooting.
Have since joined a range where I can pick up other peoples brass if I so wish :) I don't go shooting in the woods alone any more.

I've encountered two sketchy looking dudes out shooting at a local spot on Weyerhaeuser land outside T9O WA. They keep asking to shoot my LWRC REPR and I told them "not a chance" and to "move along let me shoot". They both were in their mid 20's. I was doing my transition drills, but never emptied the primary magazine or on the pistol, on account of those 2 dudes. The question that got them to finally move out was "If I had been in the military"? I said yep, 24 years and most of it in Special Forces. They looked at each other walked back to the road. I never turned my back to them. Haven't felt the need to go back since.

Always friends, watch your six!

Had two incidents up on Salmonberry shooting alone. The first time I got a weird feeling while shooting, turned around, gun on the ready. There was a guy three feet behind me, picking up my brass, still hot. He backed away facing the muzzle of my G20.
The second time, a guy and his "daughter" came up and asked if they could pick up brass while I was shooting.
Have since joined a range where I can pick up other peoples brass if I so wish :) I don't go shooting in the woods alone any more.

I've gone up to salmonberry pit several times by myself Ive not had any issues. Met some helpful people up there but looking at it now, it's probably not a great idea at least alone. I like to think everyone has good intentions, but in reality no matter how good you are at shooting.. out numbered is still out numbered. It's about the same distance to the shooting range. I'll go that way unless I'm in a group. Bad part is I like shooting steel plate and they don't have that at the range.

Sounds to me like we all need to start synching schedules for places and times, arrange to Buddy System with at least three vehicles carrying multiple shooters per session. Vermin are less likely to get sporty if we bring our own Rear Security to the party...

Several years ago I was up in the Gifford Pinchot nf dialing in my elk rifle.
I was backed into a landing on a dead end forest Rd at the edge of a clear cut.
I was shooting my 300win mag from a prone position when I heard a truck rolling up.
As I stood up, the SUV had parked in a way that blocked me in. I could see two men in the vehicle.
The two guys got out of the vehicle and started walking towards my truck.
I grabbed my ar that was laying on my tailgate cocked and locked, and walked around the truck meeting both men and said "how's it going guys?".
Neither man said a word, both turned around and got in their vehicle and left.

I'll never know what would have happened that day had I not been prepared like I was, but I can imagine it would have not been good.

When we shoot in the woods it's a minimum of two people, one shooting and one on lookout, trading off, and at a place that is small enough to where there's no chance of having to share with anyone else. To get a good spot that usually means being there at 5 AM.

Regarding "join a range," I also maintain a range membership but there are a lot of things you just can't do at (most) shared ranges if you are serious about training. Shooting from cover, shooting from or around a vehicle, moving and shooting, multiple targets, putting out your own steel, etc. Many won't even let you draw from a holster, and some like English Pit in Vancouver are needlessly picky about SBRs / braced pistols and "rapid fire."

Without knowing any details, I will say the following. Regardless of what happened to the two people involved, having this discussion is a good exercise. I know for a fact that bad guys will kill for guns. The circumstances need to line up right, but it has happened. Going with a partner is best, but can't always be done. Sometimes we just get the need to go and nobody is available to go with. Hey, it's our right to take risks and some of us do. If you take those risks, be very aware. It's all been said already. A guy I knew in California disappeared this way. They found his truck, no guns, never did find the guy, probably wound up in the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft. I always carry a loaded handgun visible in a holster on my belt. That way, not only am I armed but bad guys can see I'm armed. I keep a rifle handy if I'm going any distance from my vehicle. I meet people out there, am very cautious. One time lately (was with my grandson), a state DNR ranger came by and we had a nice conversation. He said he runs across all kinds of skeevy sorts in the woods, living rough off the land, wandering around up to no good.

My grandson and I have had conversations about this. Be prepared. I've told him if he sees someone get the drop on me, do what he can then split into the woods and try to go for help. If he happens to have a gun on him, use his judgement. Bad guys like to work in groups. That way they can get back around you or whatever. I don't care as much if they get my vehicle and any guns in it. The important thing is save my skin and anyone with me. But if you're careful and vigilant, it needn't come to that. I've left remote areas a couple of times (once lately) because I didn't like the look of drive-bys. Oh, keep your vehicle keys where you can get to them quick.

Regarding "join a range," I also maintain a range membership but there are a lot of things you just can't do at (most) shared ranges

Agree with this. I'm a member at two ranges, but I like to "go out" to shoot sometimes too.

Don't go without protection nobody knows is there. Or join a good gun club. Sucks that there are a few people like that. But if not for a handful people like that, owners wouldn't always be fighting to defend a Constitutional right.

When we shoot in the woods it's a minimum of two people, one shooting and one on lookout, trading off, and at a place that is small enough to where there's no chance of having to share with anyone else. To get a good spot that usually means being there at 5 AM.

Regarding "join a range," I also maintain a range membership but there are a lot of things you just can't do at (most) shared ranges if you are serious about training. Shooting from cover, shooting from or around a vehicle, moving and shooting, multiple targets, putting out your own steel, etc. Many won't even let you draw from a holster, and some like English Pit in Vancouver are needlessly picky about SBRs / braced pistols and "rapid fire."
Tri-County has combat ranges for all that.

And neither do I but i am NOT going to jump to conclusion over something I know nothing about and suddenly think the National Forest is something to be feared or avoided.
I have been backpacking, hiking, fishing, hunting the National Forest for close to 45 years now and and will NEVER be afraid of it and will continue to do so until I can no longer can - and this might be a while!
I can only deduce from what you posted your experience in the National Forest is limited to, and only based on:

And if this is the case then you are missing out on the best of it.
Try getting a couple miles past the border of a National Forest and put some 'foot time' in and you might have a different opinion of it.

I would pick the forest over portland

I usually shoot on my own property anymore.

Until more facts come out it is hard to say what happened, but yes, stay armed when shooting in remote places like that.

If you think about it, a shooting pit like that would be a good place for an execution style murder; people are used to hearing gun shots there, any brass or bullets recovered (outside the body) would be difficult to distinguish from all the other brass and bullets, people coming and going to the place with guns is not unusual and easily explained. The only real problem is the traffic.

I agree though, it is most likely a murder/suicide or two suicides.

I usually shoot on my own property anymore.

Me, too, which is a couple of miles short of the spot where this all took place. Even then, with limited access for others, I pay attention to my surroundings and carry a firearm at all times.

It will be interesting to see how this all comes out.

This report, 12 hrs ago, was from Oregon Live. Should hear more today. Bodies found near Estacada were in gravel pit used for shooting, police say

Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Marcus Mendoza said two people were in the area to do some recreational shooting Monday morning when they found the bodies, later determined to belong to a man and a woman. Mendoza said the gravel pit where they were found is off the 4615 Road and the 130 spur in the Mount Hood National Forest.

Back in the 80's when the Western Oregon fire roads were open to the public, I was out shooting near Vernonia at a nice old logging staging area. I got set up and had just begun to shoot when I heard a vehicle coming up the road behind me. Since it dead ended into this area, I knew the noise was coming to me.
I stopped shooting to see who might be coming in? As the truck came into the clearing the two guys looked straight at me and gunned the engine. I thought they were playing around, but unsnapped my holster anyway. As they crossed the 50 yd. clearing, it looked like they weren't playing after all, as they were headed right at me! I pulled my 1911 and pointed it at the driver's side windshield, which got the reaction of immediate braking! They both jumped out, and started towards me, and I told them to not take another step. They stopped and put their hands up, then said they meant no harm.
I asked them why they were coming in so strong and headed right at me? They said they heard shooting and figured somebody was shooting up their targets! That's about as stupid as I've ever heard. Once I assured them I wasn't, and explained how dumb it was to come charging at somebody who is alone, and armed, they apologized.
We ended up shooting together the whole afternoon, and they were actually pretty nice guys. But it definitely made me reconfirm that carrying a sidearm while target shooting in remote areas is always a good idea. I belong to a gun club, so I don't go out to public areas anymore. But it's still the only way anyone should be there if they value their life.

/Cue paranoia
Sad day when you go out in the woods, be it shooting area, camping, hiking, or what have you, to have to be wound up so tight.
Use to be relaxing out in Gods Country.

I will still go out and shoot , camp , hike , etc...
I will not allow the worry of "What if...? " to control my life.

That said...
I will be paying attention to my surroundings and take precautions....but the love of the wilderness and being out in it , is too strong to be forsaken.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads