JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still have lots of friends in California with ARs, AKs, and even a banned M1A
they accept they can't buy parts or ammo in their state, but still kept the firearms in violation of California law
once a month, they take a trip to Reno or Las Vegas, get their parts and ammo and spend a day shooting in the desert
no, they can't shoot at local ranges in California, or mail order or local purchase even replacement parts
but their love of ARs and the Second Amendment is so strong they just keep under the radar
in very North Cal, up by Reading, the political atmosphere is different
they can go out to National forest and gravel pits to shoot
they drive up into Oergon to purchase parts and ammo

several years ago, took my Chinese AK down to a party near Weed, Cal
on the second day, we sent a runner back up to Oregon to get more ammo
the Runner called back and had me speak to the shop owner
she wanted to know weather I wanted 20 rnd boxes or 1260 rnd wooden crates

before I retired, an associate from California was working with us in Tacoma
before he returned, he loaded his trunk up with 30 rn mags
there are still tens of thousands of unregistered ARs and AKs in California, every owner in violation of California law
HB 1240 will change our lifestyles, but it will not prevent us from enjoying our semi auto sporting rifles

View attachment 1452640
What do you mean you can't buy parts in California? That doesn't seem to be part of the law there.

It is not remotely a straighforward law.
It says no one can bring in or sell an AW, except for mil/LE sales, and is careful to define "import". The law is designed to reduce mass shootings, so it isn't going to be full of exceptions for out of state residents to have AW day triips.

Where people get this idea that it doesn't apply to them is frankly weird.

Who was the vendor, if I may ask (just so we know going forward)?
JSE Surplus

Had stripped A2 uppers... Been looking forever.

I almost sent to to a friends on OR to beat the tax, but they didnt charge sales tax...
By the time they canceled the order, they were out of stock.

Dreams. Crushed.

JSE Surplus

Had stripped A2 uppers... Been looking forever.

I almost sent to to a friends on OR to beat the tax, but they didnt charge sales tax...
By the time they canceled the order, they were out of stock.

Dreams. Crushed.
Thanks for the info.

It says no one can bring in or sell an AW, except for mil/LE sales, and is careful to define "import". The law is designed to reduce mass shootings, so it isn't going to be full of exceptions for out of state residents to have AW day triips.

Incorrect, to the extent you were responding to his statement about California's ban.

D21F2AAE-7C4F-4B1F-8AA5-16499953132D.png

then I'm weird
I do not see how this affect my life on the North Fork
I have workarounds for all their stipulation
am I in violation of 1240?
am i in violation of Washington sales tax laws?
DILLIGAF ( I actually had a nametage that said this on my uniform my last 6 mo before I rotated back to the World in '73)

Guardian Arms coming in hot with bill reading comprehension regarding parts
Agree totally with gun shop owner personally except on one point. A lower receiver can be used to make WA legal guns such as single shot, muzzleloader, etc. so if customer was buying to produce a wa legal gun I don't see how they could be in violation by selling a reciever. However every business has to make their own call on what they think is legal and what they want to buy and sell etc.

I compliment the gun store owner for reading the entire bill, of which one sentence is about parts and parts kits, pursuant to the rest of the bill which is banning construction, etc of "Assault weapons". The bill does not say you can't repair your currently legal assault weapons. It also does not say you can't build new guns that are legal in WA such as single shot, muzzle loader, whatever.

Imo the new bs law would prohibit having all the parts to build a new assault weapon together in a box. That would be consistent with the rest of the bill. All imo.

Last Edited:
then I'm weird
I do not see how this affect my life on the North Fork
I have workarounds for all their stipulation
am I in violation of 1240?
am i in violation of Washington sales tax laws?
DILLIGAF ( I actually had a nametage that said this on my uniform my last 6 mo before I rotated back to the World in '73)
You seem to not understand the difference between a discussion of what is legal, and how to get away with a crime. They are different things.

There is also a difference between avoiding sales tax and violating a gun law when it comes to the severity of the sentence.

You seem to not understand the difference between a discussion of what is legal, and how to get away with a crime. They are different things.

There is also a difference between avoiding sales tax and violating a gun law when it comes to the severity of the sentence.
I thought about your response for a while
1240 was passed without input from anyone on this forum - so be it
for those of us who built ARs back in the Day and stockpiled repair parts, it's not an issue
for those of you who didn't see this coming and waited, I guess banter of the the affects of 1240 on your life is a therapeutic point of discussion
I will no longer relate to you how 1240 has no affect on my life, living on remote property in Washington
this rifle was my last AR build - 2018 - I have a dated receipt for every part including the original straight wall 20 Rd pmag
even under 1240, it is not a violation for me to own or shoot this rifle on my own shooting range

20230717_184242.jpg

I thought about your response for a while
1240 was passed without input from anyone on this forum - so be it
for those of us who built ARs back in the Day and stockpiled repair parts, it's not an issue
for those of you who didn't see this coming and waited, I guess banter of the the affects of 1240 on your life is a therapeutic point of discussion
I will no longer relate to you how 1240 has no affect on my life, living on remote property in Washington
this rifle was my last AR build - 2018 - I have a dated receipt for every part including the original straight wall 20 Rd pmag
even under 1240, it is not a violation for me to own or shoot this rifle on my own shooting range

View attachment 1456466
It's not a violation of 1240 to shoot a legal rifle anywhere.

It would be quite a feat for a DA to be able to demonstrate that you finally assembled parts you've had for years after the effective date of the law, unless you brag about it online.

It's not a violation of 1240 to shoot a legal rifle anywhere.

It would be quite a feat for a DA to be able to demonstrate that you finally assembled parts you've had for years after the effective date of the law, unless you brag about it online.
if you want me to be a test case, I can do that
I'm 73 with stage 2 COPD, don't matter to me
the State can cover my medical
one of my drugs cost $800 a month

OK, I purchased an Adj Gas Block for this AR after 1240 was passed
the vender sent a disclaimer in the package that it was up to me to check with local regulations
installed in 3 days ago
tuned it in this evening - everyone for a mile around heard me shooting this AR to tune it in to PMC 55 gn ammo
is this good enough? purchased and installed the part after 1240 passed
fired my AR so all my neighbors heard me
posted this action on this forum
will let you know

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show