JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the bill itself:

"and conversion kits and parts that can be used to assemble an assault weapon or convert a firearm into an assault weapon, if the parts are in the possession of or under the control of the same person."
The bold part is important. If the part or parts in your possession or under your control can not be assembled into an assault weapon then you should be good to go.

Example:

Having a Glock pistol is good to go.

Having a second grip is good to go.

Having both a Glock pistol and second grip in your possession is bad news.

The bold part is important. If the part or parts in your possession or under your control can not be assembled into an assault weapon then you should be good to go.

Example:

Having a Glock pistol is good to go.

Having a second grip is good to go.

Having both a Glock pistol and second grip in your possession is bad news.
So what if the glock pistol had a threaded barrel before the ban?

(As an aside, a forward grip on.a glock seems dumb and mall ninja.)

The second grip would still be a no go based on federal law.
Ugh. Yes, it would make it an NFA item but not a strict no go, assuming one follows the law.

The point is that of something is already an assault weapon, adding more 'features' is not going to matter.

Ugh. Yes, it would make it an NFA item but not a strict no go, assuming one follows the law.

The point is that of something is already an assault weapon, adding more 'features' is not going to matter.
I agree, there are not degrees of assault weapons. One, two, three or more evil features doesn't change "assaultiness" of the classification. It's either an assault weapon or it's not.

The law says firearms owned in the State prior to the ban are not assault weapons.
A hard-core prosecutor could argue that somebody who owned a pistol with a threaded barrel before the ban and added an evil feature after the ban could have created an assault weapon?

Ignore striked through text, I was either having a stroke or brainfart or both.

Last Edited:
I agree, there are not degrees of assault weapons. One, two, three or more evil features doesn't change "assaultiness" of the classification. It's either an assault weapon or it's not.

The law says firearms owned in the State prior to the ban are not assault weapons.
A hard-core prosecutor could argue that somebody who owned a pistol with a threaded barrel before the ban and added an evil feature after the ban could have created an assault weapon?
A threaded barrel on a pistol makes it an assault weapon per the WA law. E.g. one of my Browing Hi Powers got a threaded barrel shortly before the ban, so it already was an assault weapon. I can put a flash suppressor on it - which would be dumb - and its status will be no different.

A threaded barrel on a pistol makes it an assault weapon per the WA law. E.g. one of my Browing Hi Powers got a threaded barrel shortly before the ban, so it already was an assault weapon. I can put a flash suppressor on it - which would be dumb - and its status will be no different.
I agree. Since possession isn't what's being banned the prosecutor would have to prove a person manufactured, imported, distributed, sold, or offered for sale an assault weapon after the ban.

If you already have one and make it more "assaulty" that shouldn't be a problem.

Another example would be a WA resident who owned an AR pistol with non-threaded barrel. It's an Assault Weapon under HB1240. He should have no legal problems adding a threaded barrel and muzzle device since it was already an AW.

Another example would be a WA resident who owned an AR pistol with non-threaded barrel. It's an Assault Weapon under HB1240. He should have no legal problems adding a threaded barrel and muzzle device since it was already an AW.
Again the state could really care less about people doing this. What they are after is the people selling the stuff. The idea was to instill fear in them and get them to stop selling. Its working great. So yes I have many guns now on the no go list I can (so far) keep. Putting a threaded barrel on one of the AR9's will not change it but, if no one is willing to sell me that barrel? This is what they are after. No one is going door to door to see if I added threads to a gun that can no longer be sold here. Many dealers of this stuff are for now just taking a hands off approach while this shakes out in court. I don't blame any of them. WA people made this mess by sitting on their hands. I can see why people are not willing to risk side show bob going after them with lawyers.

Again the state could really care less about people doing this. What they are after is the people selling the stuff. The idea was to instill fear in them and get them to stop selling. Its working great. So yes I have many guns now on the no go list I can (so far) keep. Putting a threaded barrel on one of the AR9's will not change it but, if no one is willing to sell me that barrel? This is what they are after. No one is going door to door to see if I added threads to a gun that can no longer be sold here. Many dealers of this stuff are for now just taking a hands off approach while this shakes out in court. I don't blame any of them. WA people made this mess by sitting on their hands. I can see why people are not willing to risk side show bob going after them with lawyers.
The way the law reads is that unless somebody ships a box of parts that can be assembled into an assault weapon, the parts are not illegal to ship.

The way the law reads is that unless somebody ships a box of parts that can be assembled into an assault weapon, the parts are not illegal to ship.
You work for an FFL. You should know by now there is what the law says, and what some AG tells you it means. Our AG has proven he could care less if he spends HUGE amounts of money to go after someone and loses. To him its a never ending pile of money. To the people he goes after? They have to pay for lawyers now. They can of course sue later to try to get the cost back but, how many want to risk that? Do you? By all means set up a Co, mortgage everything you own and start selling stuff to WA. LOT of people wanting to buy. So you can make a ton of money here. You want to poke our AG?

You work for an FFL. You should know by now there is what the law says, and what some AG tells you it means. Our AG has proven he could care less if he spends HUGE amounts of money to go after someone and loses. To him its a never ending pile of money. To the people he goes after? They have to pay for lawyers now. They can of course sue later to try to get the cost back but, how many want to risk that? Do you? By all means set up a Co, mortgage everything you own and start selling stuff to WA. LOT of people wanting to buy. So you can make a ton of money here. You want to poke our AG?
As long as we have laws, they will have to be interpreted by those who are suppose to follow them.

I guess it's a bit like taxes. Some take full advantage of exemptions and some don't.

My hope is that more gunowners, FFLs and retailers will take advantage of the exemptions provided, instead of over-complying and supporting the antis in their gun part grabbing efforts.

As long as we have laws, they will have to be interpreted by those who are suppose to follow them.

I guess it's a bit like taxes. Some take full advantage of exemptions and some don't.

My hope is that more gunowners, FFLs and retailers will take advantage of the exemptions provided, instead of over-complying and supporting the antis in their gun part grabbing efforts.
Again the AG here could not give 2 💩s about gun owners. People keep asking those with everything to lose to come stand up for them who have nothing to lose. Those who keep saying this need to step up. Start a small business selling the stuff to those in WA who want it. Its real easy to tell others to stick their neck out from a keyboard. Many want someone else to take all the risk for them.

Again the AG here could not give 2 💩s about gun owners. People keep asking those with everything to lose to come stand up for them who have nothing to lose. Those who keep saying this need to step up. Start a small business selling the stuff to those in WA who want it. Its real easy to tell others to stick their neck out from a keyboard. Many want someone else to take all the risk for them.
Since all posts form #223 on I can't see due to being on my ignore list I can guess at the crap you have to be reading here. We've seen it so many times before. You have more patience than I.

Since all posts form #223 on I can't see due to being on my ignore list I can guess at the crap you have to be reading here. We've seen it so many times before. You have more patience than I.
Sadly a LOT of gun owners are stamping their feet about dealers who will not sell here in WA anymore. Saying they know the law and the dealers are just wrong. Since they have nothing to lose its easy to tell those who own a business they should still sell them what they want. Easy to sit at a keyboard and tell others to risk everything. Especially when they start in on how they are legal experts. 🤬

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top