JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend recently acquired the capability to seal #10 cans. He's bought a supply of new can and is still playing around with the concept. He offered me the opportunity to do a few cans of my own. I must admit I'm very interested.

What would you pack in a #10 can if you could choose the contents?

My preliminary thoughts are a #10 can would be good for stuff that must stay one or more of these:
1. Oxygen free
2. Dry
3. Sterile
4. Clean

A few other considerations:
1. A #10 can is essentially a single-use item. Once breached, the advantage is largely (but not totally) lost.
2. What can it offer that a GI ammo can or vacuum-packing in a plastic bag does not?

Currently, ammo goes in steel USGI ammo cans. Most emergency med supplies go in vacuum-sealed bags. Electronics (wrapped in aluminum foil/butchers paper/aluminum foil triple wrap) go into a grounded (!) large steel ammo can that should function as a Ferriday cage. Most storage food goes into mylar bags with an oxygen absorber in plastic 5-gallon buckets or mason jars for smaller amounts.

So what is left that makes sense to use #10 cans?

Grounded ammo cans? Do you just mean resting on the garage concrete floor, or something more technical?

I don't know how one would seal their own #10 cans so I must have room to grow in my prepping. But I would think good is the best use of those, and of course items that could be used up quickly enough after opening. Dried egg powder, semolina, oats, nuts, etc. come to mind.

Ammo in cans, dried meat and dry supplies (think first aid) in vacuum bags.

I think, if memory serves, (always suspect!) a number ten can, (#10) is a big can about the size of a very large Cambells soup can or even maybe approaching the size of a normal sized coffee can? Some help here please.

I have heard tales of a magical spell called "Google" that is a fount of near-endless knowledge.

But for those muggles who must pee on the electric fence for themselves to learn . . .

What is a #10 Can? / The ReadyBlog

how-big-is-10-can.jpg

Sosss ... excellent topic except for my forgetfulness. What would fit inside such a sealed steel container? I am thinking right now about something you may never need but when you do need it you need it right now.

Human nature default. The dark side. How about a handgun, mags and ammo that could be sized to fit inside that can? Then perhaps prepp the can then bury it somewhere where only you and a select few exactly know?

Consider it the clean non traceable non expensive expedient handgun. An older good condition revolver comes to mind. Something that if it is lost or forgotten about nothing major is lost? Or consider putting inside home walls?

Various bolt holes? Emergency caches?

What would you pack in a #10 can if you could choose the contents?

My preliminary thoughts are a #10 can would be good for stuff that must stay one or more of these:
1. Oxygen free
2. Dry
3. Sterile
4. Clean

A few other considerations:
1. A #10 can is essentially a single-use item. Once breached, the advantage is largely (but not totally) lost.
2. What can it offer that a GI ammo can or vacuum-packing in a plastic bag does not?

I am a person that has brought food in #10 cans. Right off the top of my head, I would think rice, brown sugar, oatmeal, all the staples that are really expensive to buy from places like Mt House and Thrive.

Here is an example:
Brown Sugar
Family Size (#10)
4.4 lbs, 501 servings
$12.29

That is expensive. Brown sugar is cheap but purchasing already prepped in a #10 can is outrageous. I would love to have a source and the equipment to process my own #10cans of food.

Bulk food storage would be my main focus, foods that have a shelf life and would need to be rotated. We make pre made meals and use the #10 cans to extend the shelf life. if done properly, you can easily match the commercial canned food suppliers for shelf life! Makes ready to heat and eat meals for 4 persons super easy.

Neat idea to be able to make your own cans like this but I too fail to see why? Unless I'm missing something wouldn't the vacuum sealed bags be the same thing? Seems like the bags would be easier to carry and or store too? Is there something I'm missing here? Have some prep food in #10 cans but just because it was bought that way.

Speaking only for myself,
I for one appreciate a straight answer , after asking a honest question.
Computers , are not my thing ... and any time I can get a answer without being told to look it up , it makes life easier.
Andy
I have heard tales of a magical spell called "Google" that is a fount of near-endless knowledge.

But for those muggles who must pee on the electric fence for themselves to learn . . .

What is a #10 Can? / The ReadyBlog

View attachment 384144

Neat idea to be able to make your own cans like this but I too fail to see why? Unless I'm missing something wouldn't the vacuum sealed bags be the same thing? Seems like the bags would be easier to carry and or store too? Is there something I'm missing here? Have some prep food in #10 cans but just because it was bought that way.
Most foods in #10 cans have a shelf life of 20+ years. One cannot get that long of a shelf life with vacuum sealing. With mylar bags and vacuumed sealed bags, they then often stored in food grade buckets.

Sosss ... excellent topic except for my forgetfulness. What would fit inside such a sealed steel container? I am thinking right now about something you may never need but when you do need it you need it right now.

Human nature default. The dark side. How about a handgun, mags and ammo that could be sized to fit inside that can? Then perhaps prepp the can then bury it somewhere where only you and a select few exactly know?

Consider it the clean non traceable non expensive expedient handgun. An older good condition revolver comes to mind. Something that if it is lost or forgotten about nothing major is lost? Or consider putting inside home walls?

Various bolt holes? Emergency caches?
This was my first thought as well, a handgun, ammo, magazines/speed loaders as necessary...

Secondary thoughts are cash and silver/gold for long term storage... Maybe that's overkill...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top