JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remington 870 express, gifted to me by my dad. Got it when I was twelve, maintained it, cleaned it after being used and then put it back into the safe. My dad was a great steward of my 870 while I was away at college and until I moved into my own place after graduation at which time I had the great feeling of finally bringing it home. One of my most treasured possessions because of who gifted it to me and the memories we created together with it and are still creating with it today.

Without looking at my notes, I think the first gun I bought with my own money was an Austrian M1895 Mannlicher straight pull carbine, 8x56R. About the same time, I also bought a Stevens Model 52 single shot .22 LR. Around age 15.

I'd been shooting before then, though. My first shooting was done with my cousin's Marlin Model 56 (which I now have) and a Remington Nylon 66. Both .22 LR.

Gun I've had longest in my possession is a Remington 870, 12 ga., 20 inch bbl., rifle sights. I bought it in 1970 when I was in the US Army. Actually, it was out of my possession for about a year in the 1970's. I guy I knew saw it, just had to have it. So I sold it to him but he got bored with it quickly and I soon bought it back.

mine was a remington 341-p bolt action in 22 LR. got it from my dad and uncle when i was 12 year old. built in 1936. i still shoot it.
I've got this same rifle, also made in 1936. Lately, I started my grandson out shooting with it. It was too big for him, he had to hold the butt under his armpit to shoot it. And they have a kinda long barrel for a youth shooter. So I bought him one of those Stevens .22's for kids.

SANY2691.JPG

First gun I bought with my own money was REM 700 ADL. .300 Win Mag. GI Joe's special with a Bushnell 3-9 scope. Learned that .300 Win Mag was way overkill. But had to get the biggest round I could afford at the time. Bigger is better to an 18yo.

sweet gun
I bought my Remington Model 351-P Sportsmaster around 2005. Kenmore Gun Ranges used to have a once-a-year club swap meet. Maybe they still do. At that time, they held it indoors in a meeting hall they have. There was an old man sitting at a card table with a few items on it including this rifle. He may have been the original owner but I can't say for sure because we didn't address that point. I thought I'd paid about $75 for it, but in going back over my notes, they say, "about $100" so I guess even when I wrote up those notes, I'd forgotten exactly how much I paid. What attracted me to it was, I knew it was a pre-WW2 gun and it was in very nice condition, hadn't been used much. I favor tube magazines on .22 rifles and it has that feature. These were sold as a kind of poor man's target rifle, having the rear peep sight and the little Lyman hooded front sight with interchanbable inserts. I've only got the one insert that's in the rifle. This model was only made for four years, 1936-1940. The lifting mechanism from the tube was a patented design, the advertising of the day said, "Loads like a battleship." Original cost of the rifle was around $15.

My first gun was a Springfield model 67 12 gauge. I was 19 and had about an hour to kill before my shift as a dishwasher at a super popular music venue/restaurant/bar so I rode my bike up the road to Silver Lining Pawn. Saw that shotgun for $125 and assumed there was a waiting period or something, so I was very surprised when I walked out the door with it ten minutes later. Had to carry it on my back riding a bicycle down Sandy Blvd and hide it in the dry storage at work until my shift was over later that night.

I had a BB gun before I was strong enough to cock it. I'd shoot and then run in the house and have my mom cock it.
Dad taught me how to hold it upside down between my knees and pull that lever to cock it. Even then it was really hard.
The gun I was using had been Dad's as a kid, probably made in the 30's. I ended up killing that little gun but bought him a single shot replacement several years ago. It's mine now and comparing the 1930's Daisy to a newer Red Ryder the lever is much harder to cock. It's also obviously much more powerful than the new version.
I've got this same rifle, also made in 1936. Lately, I started my grandson out shooting with it. It was too big for him, he had to hold the butt under his armpit to shoot it. And they have a kinda long barrel for a youth shooter. So I bought him one of those Stevens .22's for kids.

View attachment 1093115
I started with a Marlin 81DL, which is a very similar rifle. I had to shoot with it tucked under my armpit and tried to get Dad to shorten it. He said' "You'll grow into it. It won't grow back." I have it now and have been glad for over 40 years that he didn't listen to me. Smart man. :D

My first gun was a Ithica Model 49. Single shot lever action rifle. Could shoot 22 short, long and long rifle. Great training rifle for a boy of just 9 years old. No rapid fire and every shot counted. I still have it to this day.

It was the Doug Fir Lounge, down on 8th and Burnside attached the the Jupiter Hotel.
Oooo, 8th and Burnside. Was "Union Jack's" rocking then? A real dive. Wasn't a strip joint when we'd go there after the first wife got off work late back in the early '80s. Doug Fir Lounge maybe wasn't there anymore at that time. We would have hit that in those days too.

JC Higgins model 103.228, 22 LR, a detachable eight round magazine, bolt action. 1960, got it new. Still have it but I promised it to son unit #1

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top