JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm helping my friend out to pick his first rifle. He wants a bolt action 223 and has a budget of maybe 700$ to 800$ with the glass. I've given him a few recommendations but always looking for more input. Better yet, if someone has a good budget bolt for a first gun owner let me know. I've recommended just a plain ruger ranch because of price and popularity

Budget bolt gun? Savage all the way, the use to have combos with a cheap scope already mounted and ready to go, upgrade later if you want. At least that is the route I went, ended up throwing the scope on a 10/22 and installed a Leopold 3-9x on it. Great shooters without breaking the bank.

My choice would also factor in.......a question about the possible ammo that he is selecting. Yeah.....refer to that twist rate chart (also provided IIRC in another thread you asked yesterday).

Aloha, Mark

My choice would also factor in.......a question about the possible ammo that he is selecting. Yeah.....refer to that twist rate chart (also provided IIRC in another thread you asked yesterday).

Aloha, Mark
Yes you are right. He just starting out so he'll be shooting what Im shooting for now

Ruger ranch that takes AR mags should fit the bill. The varmint if you want more barrel. 16 = ranch / varmint = 18"

I'd also say a Savage Scout in 223 would be a good fit. Takes AICS mags. Which are more available than ever in 223/556. I think this one ups the Ruger as it has irons.

1671739221496.jpeg

Another option if going with Howa.

Just the first rifle, or is this really the first gun?

If it is the first gun then I would have to support the 10/22 (or other 22lr) idea.

Prices are still a bit wonky right now, so this has a bit less weight I guess.

When learning you want to be able to shoot without much thought to cost. Get in lots and lots of careful trigger time.

I think I used to be able to go thru most of a brick of 22 in one trip to the range.

Just the first rifle, or is this really the first gun?

If it is the first gun then I would have to support the 10/22 (or other 22lr) idea.

Prices are still a bit wonky right now, so this has a bit less weight I guess.

When learning you want to be able to shoot without much thought to cost. Get in lots and lots of careful trigger time.

I think I used to be able to go thru most of a brick of 22 in one trip to the range.
first gun

first gun
I should also note that your Ruger Ranch recommendation is very good. I don't have personal experience with it, but I don't think they would go wrong that way.

I just feel that it will take them longer to get "good on the trigger" if they don't spend some quality 22lr time. But there is no hurry, so as long as they work at it and follow the rules that avoid developing bad habits then they should be good to go.

Broken record time. Bimart has the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 for $495. I think they also have the Vortex Diamondback scopes for around $200. A set of $10 Weaver rings and they are in business.

I'm a fan of the Ruger American Ranch (AR mag version). While you do say .223 rifles, there are only a few that officially support 5.56 as well as .223 and the Ranch is one of those. Those that are specifically intended for .223 could potentially have issues with 5.56 (probably not in this life time, but still). I think Mossberg makes one too. On my Ranch, I installed a set of NoDak Spud iron sights and a co-witnessed TRS-25 red dot as I was wanting more of a scout rifle. Unfortunately, PSA bought NoDak Spud and I don't believe you can get the sights for the Ranch right now (hopefully soon).

Here's a pic because I always need to post pics:
Ruger_American_Ranch_drum_2021-01-29_1.jpg

However, as others have said, if this is his first gun and he has his heart set on a bolt gun, I'd also recommend the Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr as ammo and mags are plentiful and cheap. Alternately, I'd also suggest a CZ 457 in 22lr but the gun and mags are a bit more expense but the fit and finish (and probably accuracy) are just a tiny bit better.

Ruger American Rimfire (outfitted with Tech Sights and a threaded barrel):
RAR_Side_1_2021-03-18.jpg

CZ 457 (this one is the shorter "Scout " model with a Skinner peep sight):
CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Side_1_2021-09-17.jpg

But CZ has some other models available too to fit any budget (this is the "Pro Varmint" with an Athlon scope; good for bench shooting, not for carrying so much):
CZ_457_Pro_Varmint_Argos_BTR_G2_2020-03-21.jpg

Related: I have a 22 caliber bolt gun obsession.

Good luck to your friend choosing!

I should also note that your Ruger Ranch recommendation is very good. I don't have personal experience with it, but I don't think they would go wrong that way.

I just feel that it will take them longer to get "good on the trigger" if they don't spend some quality 22lr time. But there is no hurry, so as long as they work at it and follow the rules that avoid developing bad habits then they should be good to go.
Just means a Ruger American Rimfire should be purchased at the same time!

I'm helping my friend out to pick his first rifle. He wants a bolt action 223 and has a budget of maybe 700$ to 800$ with the glass. I've given him a few recommendations but always looking for more input. Better yet, if someone has a good budget bolt for a first gun owner let me know. I've recommended just a plain ruger ranch because of price and popularity
Though I don't know much about .223 bolts, don't underestimate used guns. Sometimes you may get a gun that goes for 1k for 800 used. So if the new price is a bit higher than the budget sometimes you can find it cheaper used.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top