JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm gonna toss my hat in the .22lr ring.

Unless there is a need (like varmint hunting) then I'd think a 5.56/.223 would be a 2nd gun.

Reasons:

Ammo cost - more shooting = better aim

Noise/Recoil - get use to a more tame rifle

Experience - burn that $300? On a .22lr, have money for lots of ammo and then be able to make a more informed decision about what to upgrade into.

Just my 2¢ - I have multiple.22lr's and they are still some of my favorite shooters for fun days. That and I always start new shooters on them and have yet to have someone not have a good time.

I'd skip the bolt and have him get a semi. An AR with a M261 kit (or similar)

As Friends interest and proficiency grow you swap out the m261 for the 556 bcg. Also would start with irons before moving into glass.

teaches them the versatility of the AR platform, hopefully instills interest, provides a deeper understanding of firearms and evil black rifles aren't really evil, people are.

Another vote for going with the Howa platform.

Other options would be to look for a used CZ527 or Tikka T3/T3x.

Nothing wrong with a Savage or Ruger as both offer a lot of gun at a reasonable price but I am not a fan.

A couple thoughts. How old is your friend. If adult he probably wants to jump right into it. We raised the boys on .22lr, then .223., then .243. Based on current tyrannical regulation chaos, your friend may want to consider buying both .22lr and a .223. There are so many great options, especially those proposed above. My boys loved their Marlin Model 60s. Very accurate, easy to scope up, and descent trigger. At this point in time, I would prefer the savage bolt, or encourage going right to a quality AR.
Merry Christmas!

Another vote for going with the Howa platform.

Other options would be to look for a used CZ527 or Tikka T3/T3x.

Nothing wrong with a Savage or Ruger as both offer a lot of gun at a reasonable price but I am not a fan.
These three.
You're getting out of the budget stuff and into a better rifle, better action.

I'm helping my friend out to pick his first rifle. He wants a bolt action 223 and has a budget of maybe 700$ to 800$ with the glass. I've given him a few recommendations but always looking for more input. Better yet, if someone has a good budget bolt for a first gun owner let me know. I've recommended just a plain ruger ranch because of price and popularity
Lots of good inexpensive options out there. Make sure whatever he gets has a good trigger would be my recommendation. Savage axis II (don't get axis due to trigger) is a cheap option with a great trigger but other brands like Ruger etc have just as good options I'm sure (I haven't researched them). As I recall axis II with bushnell 4-12 or 3-9 scope is about $450 to $525 street price.

A couple random examples (msrp shown).

333B44F1-BC2A-445F-8350-0B7CDF3FB831.png 4ADFCC53-60E2-4F80-B4EF-A08D250D0C81.png
BCFDC8BF-2CE9-4969-AFA8-2B08FDBE5543.jpeg

A couple thoughts. How old is your friend. If adult he probably wants to jump right into it. We raised the boys on .22lr, then .223., then .243. Based on current tyrannical regulation chaos, your friend may want to consider buying both .22lr and a .223. There are so many great options, especially those proposed above. My boys loved their Marlin Model 60s. Very accurate, easy to scope up, and descent trigger. At this point in time, I would prefer the savage bolt, or encourage going right to a quality AR.
Merry Christmas!
He's 21 and been with me many times. I'm should tell him to buy a 22 trainer...

1st gun? 10/22 or s&w m&p 15-22. Easy to use, easy to upgrade, integral cans available for both.
2nd rifle- Ruger American Ranch 5.56 with AR mag well. Relatively inexpensive, adjustable trigger, shoot .223 or 5.56. Some things can be improved like the receiver edges being smoothed out, bolt polished, add weight & filler to the stock for balance and recoil mitigation, clear mag release with file, add a can.

20221224_133537.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads