JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
rem 700ADL in 7mm rem mag... i dont still have it, and i wouldnt get another, and it was a stupid purchase out of ignorance of both guns and the fact that gun store employees are usually pretty uneducated.

'99, i was on DEP with the army, just signed 11X and delayed ship for 6 months. i thought it would be good to start practice shooting, so i went to GI Joes (long since detunct sporting goods store, for you younger'ns) and explained i had just enlisted and asked the dude behind the counter for "whatever is the closest to whatever ill be shooting in the army."

he turned around and looked over the huge wall of bolt rifles and shotguns, and grabbed the 7mm mag 700 and said "this is about what youre looking for."

it should have been obvious that was not the caliber i was looking for when i asked him about bulk ammo for the rifle and he said they didnt have any - i could probably get a case of it at a gun show. which was completely incorrect... "bulk" and "7mm rem mag" do not combine in a sentence

shooting that thing with zero training was lame and i did put a few very expensive rounds through it, but pretty much shelved that thing for the next 15 years, till i finally sold it

My Dad would not let us 3 boyz have even a bb-gun. He thought we would misbehave with bbguns and in his mind there was no place to shoot other firearms.

So, when newly matriculated, one of the first things I did was go to the pawn shop near one of the movie theaters where I had been seeing long guns in the window. I bought a used Remington Model 31TC Trap with a 5/8" rib and a fiberoptic front bead, 12ga 28" full choke, for $75 in 1970. Learned to shoot trap with that shotgun, a real beauty!!! Later on I had to sell it when I needed to pay both sides' divorce lawyers. Bummer! If I had it now, I would never sell it.

Last Edited:
This was my first pistol, bought by my dad when I was about to move out. We both shot it, hated it, and went back to the store and got me a 1911!
The first Glock I shot I hated it as well, and ended up buying a Kimber Elite Custom II. I loved that 1911 and should never have sold it.

I was wondering what you're first gun was? Was it a shotgun, handgun, rifle or pistol caliber carbine? Do you still have it and would you go back and get some training in on it? Would you keep you're first gun?

I have a Remington 870 shotgun it is still beautiful after 30 years. Now I'm thinking I can go to the range and relearn the fundamentals.

No I would not get rid of my first shotgun. My dad got me that when I was in the Boy Scouts
What gives? You have your first shotgun but don't want to take it out and use it?

My Dad would not let us 3 boyz have even a bb-gun. He thought we would misbehave with bbguns and in his mind there was no place to shoot other firearms.

So, when newly matriculated, one of the first things I did was go to the pawn shop near one of the movie theaters where I had been seeing long guns in the window. I bought a used Remington Model 31TC Trap with a 5/8" rib and a fiberoptic front bead, 12ga 28" full choke, for $75 in 1970. Learned to shoot trap with that shotgun, a real beauty!!! Later on I had to sell it when I needed to pay both sides divorce lawyers. Bummer! If I had it now, I would never sell it.
That's TWO sad stories, there.

Belgium Browning Hi Power in the mid 1980's was my first gun ever, BNIB it was $449.95. That specimen has long since been re-homed… if I had it today, not sure I'd train with it, there's other choices available now.

It's a tie between a single shot 16ga and my marlin 81dl
Still have the marlin. The shotgun is long gone. That shotgun left a permanent memory of how bad it hurt to shoot. I would rather shoot 3' 12 guage slugs.

The first gun I bought for myself was a used single six. Still have that one. I've shot at least ten thousand rounds down this barrel.

IMG_20190201_124956206.jpg

The first Glock I shot I hated it as well, and ended up buying a Kimber Elite Custom II. I loved that 1911 and should never have sold it.
I got decent with that 1911 and was really disappointed when I found out I would have to carry a Glock when I got my first gig. After 24 hours of classroom time and 40 hours of range time, I was pretty sure I would never need another handgun besides a Glock 22.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top