JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About a year ago I read a checklist (IIRC, 13 items) that the Mossad produced on recognizing suicide bombers. I think it was something like "if the subject qualified on 9, take action."

From Malcolm W. Nance's Terrorist Recognition Handbook, 2nd Edition:
Revealing Pre-incident Indicators: The following indicators are universally recognized as HGW [Human Guided Weapon] indicators.

--Suspect wears unseasonable clothing: To conceal the explosive device the bomber may wear clothing that is inappropriate for the weather. Heavy leather jackets in summer may be a crude attempt to conceal a bomb assembly. A coat itself may be the explosive device.

--Suspect wears bulky clothes: Clothing that is bulky and visibly over bulges around the chest or waist may be an indicator of a large bomb being worn under a coat or shirt.

--Obvious or awkward attempts to "blend in" to a crowd: Often bombers may loiter to find the best target available, such as large crowds, even if they have a preset detonation spot. Politically timed attacks or attempts to kill large numbers at a paticular time may require the SPBIED to loiter. While loitering they may move awkwardly as most people know where they are going. In trying to "blend-in" terrorists may display an unusual or staggered pace of walking or loitering near the walls.

--Suspect wearing an obvious disguise: Suicide bombers in Sri Lanka, Iraq, Chechnya, and Israel often attempted to wear clothing or uniforms that would allow them to blend in. Know and look for incongruous uniform parts on people attempting to gain access to crowded places. Police, soldiers, and ambulance crews are popular ruses.

--Suspect repeatedly and nervously handles parts of clothing: The bomber has a specific area where the detonation switch is located. A nervous handling of the clothing near a specific spot where a pull or push switch is located may be an indicator of a bomber rehearsing his action or who is uncomfortable and reassuring himself by touching the concealed location.

--Suspect is walking at a slow pace while focusing on sides: Bomber may constantly glance left and right to check for security or law enforcement approaching. Moving slowly allows the bomber to watch the flow of people approaching him and observe for people moving rapidly in his direction. This is a counter-surveillance technique.

--Suspect attempts to stay away from security personnel: Bomber may angle off or change direction when security personnel are seen.

--Suspect is sweating profusely, hesitant and/or nervously muttering: Uncharacteristic nervousness may be a key indicator when coupled with other indicators. Repeating prayers, mantras or rehearsing the next actions out loud may be evidenced.
Note: Some extremely disturbed persons reveal the same indicators as a terrorist SPBIED and these guidelines should be used in conjunction with other indicators of a bomber.

--Perfumed, recently shaved: In some cultures the bombers may believe that they are enroute to a higher spiritual plane. In this belief they perform detailed premission hygiene including dressing nicely, shaving clean and perfuming themselves before blowing up.
Note: This can be easily confused with the generally high levels of cleanliness and heavy perfume use in some Middle East and South Asian countries.

Still looking for the Israeli checklist--if you find it, post it? :)

I think I'd start throwing rocks at the nut case (from a distance of course). I believe it's called stoning and appears to be a popular middle eastern practice and is an expression of how much you like that person. It's sort of like when we give someone a Valentine.

Draw! Run like hell to solid cover! Get in a good braced shooting position. Assess the danger/call 911. If worst comes to worst, (or best comes to best:D) plant one in his bean! Using first aid techniques, pizz on his face in an attempt to revive him!

If something like this should happen, and the likelihood is small, I'd try to remember to put my head on a swivel! These cowardly SOB's do work in cells.

Truth be told. How many actually announce their presences before they flip the switch?
A surprising number, actually.
The list of warning signs listed earlier is fairly accurate. Or rather it used to be.
The various extremist groups constantly adapt their tactics.
We were pretty well occupied trying to stump them.
Once they realized we were looking for dudes in white man dresses, freshly shaved, and sweating bullets from fear they started doing it differently.
No idea how someone raised in America might go about being a suicide bomber (SVEST) though I imagine given most Americans nowadays want fame they may announce themselves.

The primary threat still likes to as they see it "consecrate" their act by screaming something about "Aloha Snackbar" or somesuch a second or two before they push the button...

If I'm among the survivors after one of these goat-f***ers goes off, first two actions are gonna be piss on the corpse and then pour on some bacon-grease. No Virgins For You, Arsehole!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top