JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Details:

This would be 5-20 acres. Eastern Washington you can get larger tracts of land for much less, ready to homestead for 1/4 what you'd get here within a few hour drive to Seattle for the same price. Within 2-3 hour drive from Seattle would be better though IMO. Ideally I'd like something with trees near a stream or similar, for firewood/water.

Cost:

Some of the more local places are 50-75K for 5 acres, whereas you can often get 10-20 with a cabin for $60-80K. Could serve as a place to bug out, off grid living, etc.

Other considerations:

Or would it be better considering political stuff going on to buy a place OUT of state? Idaho, Florida, etc. Only issues there are the place being susceptible to vandalism/squatting/theft. And of course you also have to consider getting there in some SHTF situations. Three days of no air travel, remember that? Also what about roads being washed out, or SOME other reason you can't drive to even say, Idaho. Closer is better because if you HAVE to walk, it's not as far.

The problem is twofold.
Trees
Water

Those two things together; and cheap properties... are what drives certain segments of population to move and buy up and drive prices up, and the simple fact is... liberals/leftists/statists tend to be less rooted and fixed to their origins and more apt to move any and everywhere:mad:

Stay in your comfort zone of familiarity. Seriously.
I grew up in places - off the beaten path, rural and remote. The ideal place one would think they want to relocate to in times of trouble.
Problem is - anywhere you think you may want to move to to be more remote...? Someone already lives there - or worse - longtime residents have already established themselves and have anchored themselves in 'familiarity' with what you think you will call, 'your own.' You will now be The Outsider. A fresh face who has invaded their domain. Most folks who choose this option rarely realize that their financial wherewithal that enables them to freely buy land and property in a region of folks who are already there - but don't enjoy these same financial privileges - will be worse neighbors than those in a huge city full of randoms.
Now - growing up there, having relatives and friends - or some sort of familial recognition may be helpful - but it's not going to be easy.

Good luck.

I think funds could be better spent on fortifying current property. If bugging out is needed, highways and freeways are going to be jammed. So flying is the only real option.. some folks here fly.. but many don't.

People will probably just forcefully take (or attempt to take) what other have. Property only works during rule of law. If SHTF.. you could simply take property. Unless you're thinking a secure food/item storage. But still, Id fortify what I currently have over branching out to a new area and spending more funds on that.

"So flying is the only real option.. some folks here fly.. but many don't."

Here ya go Sport. When it's time to GFOD this is the answer as long as ya don't need to take a lot of stuff along.
Autogyros don't stall or spin, which is real nice. The Kellets and DeCiervas had a great safety record.

1583077489416.png

If you all want a weekend cabin / retreat type place to go, which you will actually use. Then sure!

Could be used as a bug out location, if setup reasonably well. Provided you get to know & get along with your neighbors.

Fruit & nut trees, as well as other edibles which would require less hands on once established. Raspberry bushes, roses etc. Depending upon what would grow well, wherever, without day to day care.

However as others mention, a distant bug out location may be of little use if you can't get there. Or, if you NEED to take a preponderance of "stuff" with you when you go. ie trailer loads etc. Worst case scenario would have you getting there without motorized transport, either afoot or by pedal bike. For any multitude of reasons.

Big quake, roads clogged, driving ban, unsafe security wise to drive. Who knows??

Ex: Some folks whom are concerned about the current goings on have already pulled back to there "bug out locations", however most whom have done such can reasonably continue to work (via internet), are retired & pulling in grandkids etc.

Complex problem, having a far afield bug out location AND having to continue to work locally up to "whatever happens, happens".

Leave at the first signs of some goings on (ahead of the curve), or hold out where you are until "reasonably safe" to go...which could be months to never, depending. No one knows.

Ad on to that the longer one has to wait, in a calamitous situation, the likely hood of reliable news decreases. Obviously dependent on the type of calamity. That news would be needed to make good decisions as far as which route(s) would be open / safe.

The Bensons and other pushers had a problem with porpoising.
The tractors don't have this issue and are stable in flight.
They are also capable of short field takeoffs and landings.
BTW, even with total power failure and 0 forward speed a 'gyro pilot will probably survive the landing impact even if the airframe doesn't.

Questions to ask yourself about the land:

1) Does it have water? If the water is below the ground, does it have a well? If no well, how deep does it need to be drilled? Consider the cost of a well can easily exceed $20K. If the water is flowing (creek, river, etc.), is the water flowing year round? Does the land come with water rights? What is upstream that may contaminate the water source?

2) Is there a septic system? Has it been perc tested? Consider that a septic system can cost $10K.

3) Is the land arable? Without irrigation?

4) Does the county allow building on this land?

5) How long will it take you to walk to this land if you can't drive there? Can you walk over the pass to get there from where you live? During the winter? Or do you intend to move there full time?

6) How close is it to other population centers? Yakima? Spokane? Tri-Cities? If you can get to it from Newcastle then others can get to it too.

I live at my BOL. It is a lot of work to maintain it. I intend to move further out when I retire because I am too close to PDX/et. al. and my land is not optimum for growing food.

One other thing to consider if we are talking 'bout a SHTF situation....
Is that someone may have arrived before you and claimed your place as their own.
( Sorry if this has been mentioned already )
Andy

Sure. A bug out property is great. One with a pure water source, wooded areas for fuel and never ending big game, too Is a great idea. Wyoming is a bit far for me to bug out to, though. So a way to actually get to your bug out properly when the SHTF happens ought to be a criteria too, for those who buy a bug out property.

Affordable properties still exist in the Coast Range, Eastern and Southern Oregon and In Eastern and Central Washington that will give you some of those things. By the time you improve it though, you are going to be far beyond your $80k to $100k investment. I know because I looked at this as an option and occasionally still do.

So the choice to make is whether that is where you want to put six figures of your savings or income. Personally, I chose being able to reasonably "bug in" (although I admit that might not work in a long term SHTF situation) and purchase a vacation home and pay for my children's college educations.

I don't think it's a bad idea if you have the means to do it, but carefully decide whether the financial sacrifices this will cost you are worth it.

Believe the Benson and similar pusher trike autogyros had a specific problem? Something about pushing the stick as in normal aircraft stall recovery?

Had to overcome an instinctual inclination for a pilot on the stick at take off... Fixed wings lift themselves and lifting up feels instinctual.
Early GC's had a very bad tendency to pitch themselves up hard on roll out and you need to force the pitch down - hard, to keep the rotor from stalling.
It's a weird feeling. Later they corrected the centerline thrust issues and added bigger horizontal stabilizers.

I have crashed a Benson b8 variant. Years ago.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top