JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a coyote in the back yard of my 2 ac. Been there all afternoon. It keeps circling.
I called Tigard police, they don't have anybody to handle it. They were nice about it. The guy said they don't usually bother somebody, if the animal is a direct threat. No promises though. My twelve gauge is out on loan and I don't have a bow. Will the .410 be a sure kill at about 30'?

try it and let us know, that is if its safe to do so. No neighbors, bus stops , roads , Ect.
and with a proper back stop.

and as long as you are legal to do so and have a hunting license

This coyote is acting very strange. I have an outside dog who is going nuts, but we are keeping him in. Worried about rabies, so were the Tigard police. It would be a safe shot, but I would rather pass than just wound it...I am not just looking for a reason to shoot something, I can do that when I hunt.

If it's acting strange be very suspect for rabies. Don't get involved with it physically. If you do shoot it don't touch it. Keep your dog inside, even if you kill it. You could try calling a critter exterminator. I'd see if I could borrow a 12 gauge from somebody. The .410 with large shot would probably do the trick from 30', but not with #8 birdshot.

A .22 LR would certainly do it, but you need to be sure of your backstop and what's down range. Also, could be against city code to fire a firearm. Then again, if it's an emergency and the authorities won't respond there might be exceptions. Do you have understanding neighbors? Mine all understand about raising livestock and the need to sometimes protect them.

yes it will i used to have a savage 22/410 and with 3 in shells ive killed a lot of animals with it and at 15 yards a side shot will take them down fast point at the rib cage and i think they make slugs for the little 410 as well

I decided to wait till morning and see if is still here. I will call Wash. County and Animal Control. I am getting the .12 gu back tonight. I talked to Tigard again and he said they understand the problem and normally most officers won't do anything under these circumstances, but that is not a guarantee. It is up to the officer and supervisor. He said it really changes if you feel like there is a threat to you or your animals.

I don't have a clue as to your laws,but the answer the cop gave you sounds like I would pass on shooting it with a firearm.He definitely won't say much if the guys on duty come to get you,in you behalf

As far as the 410 killing a coyote at 30'? Of course it will.My daddy fed my family on deer with a 410.
A 22lr will drop it as will a 17HMR at those ranges.But I'd try something else if there's a question of legality.

See this is a perfect reason to have a bow or cross bow around.Cross bow with a scope would be perfect.Even if you just put them hard rubber thumper heads on there.

Another thing,if you have a yote around during the day,I would guess he has no place to hide and sleep.
Meaning you have quite a population of coyotes around your neighborhood
Hey good luck

If it is acting strange and showing no fear of humans, it is dangerous, especially to kids in the area. I would call animal control and explain this to them. If they still will not come out, then I would shoot it if I had a suitable weapon. A .410 buckshot or slug load should be fine, as others said, with the proper backstop and due safety considerations. A .22 is also adequate, given careful shot placement. I would not use a .410 birdshot load, as you are likely to end up with a wounded coyote going to ground to hide out in the neighborhood, which would be an even greater danger to people.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top