JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the Oregon DOJ:

What is a public record?
With a few exceptions, all government records of any kind are considered public records. A public record is any writing with information about the conduct of public business that is prepared, owned, used or retained by a public body.
Who is subject to Public Records Law?
The law applies to every public body, including every state officer, agency, department, bureau, board, and commission, as well as every county and city governing body, school district, special district, municipal corporation, or any board, department, commission, council or agency thereof.

There are exceptions, specifically codified as such. Without such an exception saying the database is not public I'd expect it to be covered by the above.

The same document I referenced above (again, maybe not the final version) says this in several places:

"The record of the information obtained during a request for a criminal history record check by a gun dealer is exempt from disclosure under public records law."

However, the permit database isn't a "criminal history record check".

Another example of the vague nature of this measure.

Thanks for the extra eyes. Some posts here make it seem like right out the gate this will be a website where you can put your neighbors name in and see their gun collection. 🧐
I just wasn't seeing anything specifically stating public facing database.

According to the 'measure', the 'database' is for the permit process, not the firearms. Thus, 'they' will have all of the personal information on everyone who applies for a permit, granted or not, but there is no connection to the 4473's after the 'permit' is granted. (i.e. they will know that you can own guns, just not what guns you own.)

The other side of this is that for prior ownership and magazines, if you don't give anyone a reason to look at you, they won't; they are already too busy with other crap. It's like what the anti wolf folk say "shoot, shovel, shut up".

Back to? Some of us have always had them.

I get tired of reading about lever actions and revolvers being regarded as 'alternatives' to something else in the event of bans or other laws.
I like lever guns. I really do. I have some of the coolest ones out there. But really in a fight for your life scenario, I'd much rather have a good semi auto. Revolvers are relatively low capacity and chunky comparatively. But dadgumit, if I have to carry a revolver, I am carrying something that could drop a grizzly!

That may be the next right that requires a license. (Kidding, of course, but we live in the era of bonkers laws.)
Kinda sad when rights can be trampled and are promoted as "safe" or "legal."

Definitely sad to see what America is becoming. But it's not surprising with the lack of ethics/morals. No more traditional families. Plenty of screen time. No self responsibility. All the politically correct/cancel culture.

America as a whole is on a slippery/scary slope. I used to look up to a lot of the same people I now have complete distaste for.

Why people are rushing out to buy guns before measure 114 takes affect? Today I heard that it is at 13K in the background check list. I can see that some guns may not be available after the law is in place. Most models of guns will be still available except with different standard magazine (10rds). Many manufacturers already product 10rd mags for most guns for their markets in Calif, Wash and a number of other states.that has this over 10rds mag ban.
The background check line is over 20k now. The CCL background check line is over 2200.

Because you won't be able to buy any guns after the law goes in effect.
Correct. After either December 8, 2022 or January 15, 2023 FFL gun sales and transfers in Oregon will cease. Unless a court grants an injunction that bars Measure 114 from going into effect. Until then there is always the 'ghost guns' that you make yourself, i.e. the 80%ters. Don't need no permit for those.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews