JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First and foremost I do not like M114 and consider it an infringement to my 2nd Amend rights.
With that said, I kinda agree with the O.P.

People still have gaps they need to fill in their collection in 2022?
Obama madness, COVID strangeness, anitfa riots, and the current state of the nation? And you have a gap and need more? I think you are too late to the game. First one i purchased in several years was for entertainment, not protection. Havent gone that route in over a decade.

As for a searchable database, find out how that turns out. I can guarantee you every time the dealer called for a instant background check with serial number and your information, you got put into whatever system they have and will never let it go.

So yes, i do find it amusing people are pulling the trigger now instead of years earlier. Rather it is for self defense or entertainment......
I understand your points. But I have a bunch of friends that just turned of age to buy. And a bunch more friends that I've been telling for years to "buy what you need while you can" but they weren't in a place to do so one way or another.

You didn't read the measure either, did you?

There is quite a significant difference between a PUBLICLY SEARCHABLE DATABASE, and ANY current database...
With all due respect, did you read it? I'm curious because lots of folks here keep mentioning a "publicly searchable database," but I don't know where they're getting that. It's not in the initiative language that I read which requires police to maintain a searchable database, but nothing about it being publicly searchable.

With all due respect, did you read it? I'm curious because lots of folks here keep mentioning a "publicly searchable database," but I don't know where they're getting that. It's not in the initiative language that I read which requires police to maintain a searchable database, but nothing about it being publicly searchable.
C/V from a privious post I made:

Obligatory IANAL, but the important part is that it doesn't say that it isn't publicly searchable and I would fully expect someone to argue that because it isn't 'private' per the text of the law that it should be searchable by anyone. Maybe the authors of 114 intended for it to be a LEO only database but they didn't include that in the text and as a result the odds are that it will end up a publicly or at least limited publicly searchable

Obligatory IANAL, but the important part is that it doesn't say that it isn't publicly searchable and I would fully expect someone to argue that because it isn't 'private' per the text of the law that it should be searchable by anyone. Maybe the authors of 114 intended for it to be a LEO only database but they didn't include that in the text and as a result the odds are that it will end up a publicly or at least limited publicly searchable
This.

Why does anyone think AT ALL that a deep blue state is going to follow the letter of the measure? When they've all openly stated/acted they have a hate boner for you and your guns.

Are you all insane to think those that abused getting this to the SOS and the SOS failing to do her job are just gonna suddenly become law abiding rule following upstanding citizens.

Are you all mad?

I seriously don't get it, on one hand everyone says this is purely unconstitutional then on the same thinks that the people causing the infringement are going to be fair and impartial towards you.

Some seriously next level cope.
Battered house wife syndrome comes to mind.

Last Edited:
Why people are rushing out to buy guns before measure 114 takes affect? Today I heard that it is at 13K in the background check list. I can see that some guns may not be available after the law is in place. Most models of guns will be still available except with different standard magazine (10rds). Many manufacturers already product 10rd mags for most guns for their markets in Calif, Wash and a number of other states.that has this over 10rds mag ban.
All that's been said brfore, plus the special "training" you need to go through (that is not available), if you could get the unobtainable hall pass, and if you want a handgun that the manufacturer only makes 8-rd magazines for (Springfield), if you can find those in stock.

You might as well move to California! No wait! Newsom is passing a law that won't allow ANY guns to be sold anymore.

It seems as though the leadership of the Left Coast is in a race to the bottom and are nearly there.

I seriously don't get it, on one hand everyone says this is purely unconstitutional then on the same thinks that the people causing the infringement are going to fair and impartial towards you.

Some seriously next level cope.

I've heard it said that,

"If a new law passed which required you to allow the FFL to screw your wife before you could transfer a gun... The majority of "law-abiding" gun owners would cry out 'This is an outrage! This is a violation of my rights! I'm going to write my Congressional representative!'
Then, they'd all go online and share tips on where to get the best price/oz for lube locally."

This bill wanted to make me a criminal, so I'm not going to jump through any of their Good Boy hoops. Most people in Portland treat the law more like 'loose suggestions,' I guess I'll be joining them.

I've heard it said that,

"If a new law passed which required you to allow the FFL to screw your wife before you could transfer a gun... The majority of "law-abiding" gun owners would cry out 'This is an outrage! This is a violation of my rights! I'm going to write my Congressional representative!'
Then, they'd all go online and share tips on where to get the best price/oz for lube locally."

This bill wanted to make me a criminal, so I'm not going to jump through any of their Good Boy hoops. Most people in Portland treat the law more like 'loose suggestions,' I guess I'll be joining them.
You are now a FREE Man .. Free to behave as the criminal you now being painted as .

Sure, I could see how folks could be concerned about what the state is planning on doing with the database. But folks saying that 114 creates a "publicly searchable database" isn't true.

This stuff just becomes a game of telephone where people keep confusing facts with fear and FUD. It contributes to why gun owners don't vote when they should: there are ominous warnings on gun forums about this or that, but gun forums are always passing off info that isn't legit.

The actual implications of 114 are troubling enough without folks misstating it.

Sure, I could see how folks could be concerned about what the state is planning on doing with the database. But folks saying that 114 creates a "publicly searchable database" isn't true.

This stuff just becomes a game of telephone where people keep confusing facts with fear and FUD. It contributes to why gun owners don't vote when they should: there are ominous warnings on gun forums about this or that, but gun forums are always passing off info that isn't legit.

The actual implications of 114 are troubling enough without folks misstating it.
The measure was so poorly written and so many open ended guidelines. There is no real answer for any of it really. We probably won't know everything about it till week after it's law. I think people are saying public data base as that is the original said words when they were pushing 114. If you a lawyer please let us know you full thoughts until then your just like all of us and we're in uncharted waters right now.

My reason for buying before the chitshow gets started with 114 is many.
It's been discussed at length by others.
Mainly I dont plan on sharing any more information with the state about my business than I have too.
I dont believe in paying to exercise my rights.
I've made my purchases to keep me happy until I can move in 6 years. Unless more restrictions are voted into existence.

This bill should have never seen the light of day, let alone garner enough votes to pass.

I personally may be trading firearms after 12/8. I really don't give a damn about an unconstitutional law. Like our current President, he may be the POTUS, but NOT my President!

On the searchable database aspect, there's a possibility if they ty to make it available to the public, it won't work at all.

Keep in mind Oregon doesn't have a great track record of setting up "electronic stuff" -- for example, the Cover Oregon website. And don't forget in spring 2020, the Oregon Employment Department's 1990s electronic system basically crashed, causing a lot of people to not get their unemployment benefits on time (or not for a long time).

And I think a two or three years ago I read an article that Oregon's database for searching for registered sex offenders wasn't very good. The explanation was they didn't have the money to fix it.

On the searchable database aspect, there's a possibility if they ty to make it available to the public, it won't work at all.

Keep in mind Oregon doesn't have a great track record of setting up "electronic stuff" -- for example, the Cover Oregon website. And don't forget in spring 2020, the Oregon Employment Department's 1990s electronic system basically crashed, causing a lot of people to not get their unemployment benefits on time (or not for a long time).

And I think a two or three years ago I read an article that Oregon's database for searching for registered sex offenders wasn't very good. The explanation was they didn't have the money to fix it.
Maybe urban myth, maybe not, but I have heard the same story from a few folks that would know, so take it for what it's worth ;)

Story goes that back when the state was setting up Cover Oregon they wanted outside assessment of the plan and semi-quietly went around to ask tech nerds their opinion. Almost everyone they went to, without even looking at the documentation, said "It will go badly and Orical will win the inevitable lawsuit" But why? the state reps asked. Because, the tech nerds replied, "you are the state of Oregon, and they are Orical, and there is no other way this will end"

That's called, hopium. One of many leaks are likely, if the list is not outright public. Nothing ever happens to the person or group responsible, for some reason. Oh yes. Government will never hold its bureaucrats at fault.

Talking to my wife and we came up with a real life scenario. Say you have a gun at a pawn shop. You go to redeem it on say Dec. 1st. You don't get an instant approval and have to wait 20,000 approvals ahead of you. Lets say it takes 6 weeks to get an OK. You've paid the pawn shop, but how and when do you get your gun returned? Are you going to have to pass a test or course that doesn't even exist?

That's called, hopium. One of many leaks are likely, if the list is not outright public. Nothing ever happens to the person or group responsible, for some reason. Oh yes. Government will never hold its bureaucrats at fault.
When talking with just about anyone about what I think we should do to fix just about any problem my answer is almost always "The very first thing we need to do is get rid of Qualified Immunity"

Talking to my wife and we came up with a real life scenario. Say you have a gun at a pawn shop. You go to redeem it on say Dec. 1st. You don't get an instant approval and have to wait 20,000 approvals ahead of you. Lets say it takes 6 weeks to get an OK. You've paid the pawn shop, but how and when do you get your gun returned? Are you going to have to pass a test or course that doesn't even exist?
I think I read something similar on Reddit. Some guy took a shotgun to a pawnshop, but then something went wrong with background check on pick back up... and its been in limbo for ever....

I think I read something similar on Reddit. Some guy took a shotgun to a pawnshop, but then something went wrong with background check on pick back up... and its been in limbo for ever....

Yeah that "something gone wrong" was a DUI resulting in injury to another person. Awe shucks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top