JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People don't want to mess with the hassles and risks of non face to face sales. You ship your gun off to an FFL in another state and then it turns out your buyer can't pass his background check and now your gun is sitting in a different state and you have to figure out how to get it back to you and who will be paying for that shipping. Then there is figuring out how to handle the payment so you don't get screwed in that process. Face to face is just infinitely easier.
The CMP 1911 program actually runs a background check on buyers before they will ship a 1911 to the receiving FFL. This is how they avoid the potential pitfall of a buyer being a prohibited person.

-E-

On the OP's question..... Me I just dont want to deal with the added hassle especially since oct. of 2015 and the added hassle of selling in state that created, let alone shipping interstate sales. I have not sold a firearm since 2015 only bought and even that will end if a permit is required.

Deadeye got it dead on as far as I'm concerned. Prior to the passing of the BGC requirement for private party sales in Oregon, I bought and sold a handful of firearms with people from this forum FTF and it was always a great experience. Now I won't sell and the only used gun I would consider buying would be from a pawn shop or a consignment at an FFL. I'm not going to jump through a ton of hoops and pay a ton in fees for something that should be one isle over from the hammers. I've only purchase new or made my own since 2015. That's right, the Oregon BGC bill turned me into a ghost gun factory (for personal use only in accordance with all applicable laws).

I think @Knobgoblin was accusing you of NOT being a "Karen". That was a compliment.
Ok... Though I don't know what that means. I guess that is another one I'll have to look up.
I wasn't offended, just literal.
I'm too old to be offended, too square to be hip, add to that,(retired) too out daily contact with younger generations to be in tune, but not insensitive, mea culpa if I offended @Knobgoblin.

755243.jpg

I'm not surprised the clerk didn't know their own regulations. I've had a local postmaster also did not know, nor could she find the regulation about said on their site. Within seconds I located and printed it out for her. Been shipping without issue ever since. (And I got the same song and dance about having to go to another PO. Nope, I ain't doing an hour roundtrip because a chair-moistener can't do their job.)
Had the same thing happen to me once, the post mistress said shipping a long gun USPS was illegal, she went off on me like a nutcase, said she was going to call the FBI and report me, I told her I'd wait, lol. Drove 3 miles to the next PO and shipped it no problem.

yes, you can currently ship long guns via USPS, it"s perfectly legal according to the USPS website. They also suggest/request no markings to indicate that it is a firearm (to reduce chances of theft.

Personally I have no issue with a FTF transaction in another state if it's legal to do so. If I'm willing to ship at all, WA works just as well as any other state. Lately though, I've had a lot of people asking me to violate their new state law and regardless of how stupid I think that law is, I'm not going to knowingly ship an item that is illegal in the destination state.

What I don't understand is a seller has to go to an FFL to do a freaking transfer, so how hard is it to drop the gun at the FFL who will ship it, after that it's in the FFL's hands. You will get paid before going to the FFL so it seems like a no-brainer to me, but what I know…

4 pages of responses thus far, and still nobody has actually understood my original point...:D

Ultimately, my reasoning for posting was the higher concentration of those who refuse to ship in OR, vs the other states represented on this forum. Not so much of a question of WHY folks won't do it. I get it why *some folks don't want to "bother with shipping". Why is the concentration of those who refuse, so much higher in OR?

4 pages of responses thus far, and still nobody has actually understood my original point...:D

Ultimately, my reasoning for posting was the higher concentration of those who refuse to ship in OR, vs the other states represented on this forum. Not so much of a question of WHY folks won't do it. I get it why *some folks don't want to "bother with shipping". Why is the concentration of those who refuse, so much higher in OR?
Maybe you should have asked the question you wanted answered in the first place, then? Your original question was why Oregon sellers don't want to ship and it's been answered perfectly. You did not ask why the concentration is higher vs other states. Be more clear from the beginning if you want a more exact answer.

I'll hazard a guess in that with the new laws and restrictions pending we(meaning me) really don't want to sell our guns to anybody regardless of what state they are in including Oregon. So it's not really about Oregon Vs Washington. I'm happy with the guns I've got and might not buy anymore with the new whatsoever is happening so I really don't want to sell any particularly if it's a hassle. Recently I had a shotgun for sale on here but decided to take it to a local gun shop just to see what for. A deal was struck and I'm in the que waiting for a new to me Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. The whole thing was just about as easy as the old face to face other than the "instant" background check.

I'll hazard a guess in that with the new laws and restrictions pending we(meaning me) really don't want to sell our guns to anybody regardless of what state they are in including Oregon. So it's not really about Oregon Vs Washington. I'm happy with the guns I've got and might not buy anymore with the new whatsoever is happening so I really don't want to sell any particularly if it's a hassle. Recently I had a shotgun for sale on here but decided to take it to a local gun shop just to see what for. A deal was struck and I'm in the que waiting for a new to me Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. The whole thing was just about as easy as the told face to face other than the "instant" background check.

Totally agree, things have changed so much since the good old days. I did a pretty substantial safe cleanup a while back, thought about selling them myself until I figured out my time is worth more to me now that I don't have near as much of it left. Consigned with an OR FFL, all sold. Cost me 20% commission, well worth it.

I'll take a stab at answering your more specific question; Just for talking-about purposes, since this is NORTHWEST Firearms after all, I'm going to guess that about 40% of the members are from Oregon, 40% from Washington and 20% from Other. Presumably the sellers in the Classifieds would be divided similarly. Therefore 40% of the sellers are in Washington and not a concern, and 40% are in Oregon and 20% in Other. Presuming the percentage of sellers that won't ship to Washington is the same for Oregon and Other, that means 67% of the "Won't ship to Washington" sellers are in Oregon and 33% are in Other. So that would appear to be a significant difference when, percentage-wise it is exactly the same. Just a matter of perception.
A second consideration based on the above is that an Oregon seller has 40% of the members here as potential customers without bothering to ship to Washington, or anywhere else. Anyone from Other only has a small share of the 20% (those in their own state) to sell to without shipping, therefore they are more likely to ship if they bother posting something for sale on here at all.

Maybe you should have asked the question you wanted answered in the first place, then? Your original question was why Oregon sellers don't want to ship and it's been answered perfectly. You did not ask why the concentration is higher vs other states. Be more clear from the beginning if you want a more exact answer.
Nd9GcTq0tmSE2PYSaUfrki01N0eZVoK3fZdrwhXsQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads