JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Private sales are sketchy enough without two FFL's and shipping issues.
I live in Washington & bought a Model 36-1 from an Oregon seller last year. It was a private sale without an FTF meeting. Although potential for failure may have been high, it all went quite well from my perspective. Here are my thoughts about how & why it went well, and why some Oregon sellers might not want to sell a firearm to a buyer in Washington.

Right up front, the seller and I knew the distance between us was too great for a FTF meeting. Fortunately, we both knew of FFLs willing to help us bridge that distance. Some Oregon sellers may not want to sell to Washington buyers because their own home is far from the state line and they already know there is no cooperative FFL within a reasonable distance.

No long-distance discussion & negotiation can be successful unless some trust can be developed between involved parties. That seems especially true before an interstate firearm transaction can be planned & carried out without anxiety. Both parties have to work at this process, and good communication is required to avoid miscue. Some sellers may know upfront that they are too busy, or maybe even too mistrustful by nature, to work through this stage.

Once the seller & I decided it was possible to go ahead with our transaction, it took added deliberation about how to make payment, a little extra time to get our two FFLs involved and coordinating with one another, and some added seller effort to take the revolver to his FFL. Some sellers may not be able or desirous of making all that extra effort, or may not have the necessary time to do it.

As the buyer, preliminary discussion with the seller helped clarify for me what extra cost, time, and effort would be required of me. Forewarned, I made a conscious, informed decision that I was fine with it and prepared to be patient. Once underway, I actually thought the whole process seemed to roll along fairly smooth & worry-free. I want to emphasize that it's easier for all concerned to remain calm and civil if they stay in touch from start to finish (no worrisome silences). My seller & I (both retired) had time to be texting regularly. Some sellers may know they haven't the desire or the time to maintain regular contact, so they nix Washington buyers just to avoid potential misunderstandings & hard feelings that can arise from "radio silence".

Last Edited:
The label is done by Buds FFL.
Yes, but. It's not an agent of Bud's who is presenting it to the local UPS hub. And that's where things can go sideways on acceptance. Seems like I read somewhere that Shipmygun would provide shippers with a copy of the UPS / Bud's agreement that could be shown to local agents to explain the nature of the arrangement.

Use experienced ffl's on both ends and it goes smooth, they know what they're doing. Once the paperwork starts it's hard to back out unless it's agreed. …and a shipped firearm isn't released until all parties are satisfied anyways, worse case…you get your firearm shipped back and it's chalked up as a waste of time, everything is a risk, some are just better at facilitating these kinds of things without the hassle. Carry on ….

About ten years ago I had a dealer in Texas respond to an ad I had on a local northwest forum wanting a pair of Browning superpose shotgun's I had listed. Being a well known dealer in double barrels I figured what the H, we worked a deal he sent a certified check, the check cleared and I shipped the guns.
A few days pass and UPS tracking shows them delivered and signed for.
A few more days pass and I get a nasty phone call from the owner asking where the H his shotguns are, I told him to check with UPS.
I called him back the next day with papers from UPS indicating who had signed for them just to be told that they had found them in their shipping and receiving department waiting to be logged in, no apology just acknowledging that he had received them as described.
He did get a bit flustered when I asked if it was normal for them not to log firearms in within the mandated time frame... that's when he rudely hung up on me...:s0092:

So for me, as a hobbyist I have decided I would prefer to deal locally on things of relatively low value.

On the other hand I've had some successful hassle free vehicle sales such as my Pinzgauer 710K that went back to Pennsylvania, the Trailbreaker motorcycle that I stored for a couple months after the check cleared, turned out that buyer is a neurological surgeon with more money than time. And the '82 KZ1000R that went to Japan, should have kept that one, had history, was the ELR that Motorcyclist magazine tested and put on the cover 9/82, the magazine editor (Art Friedman) bought it from Kawasaki than a couple years later sold to me. Fun bike...

Than there was the Ural Patrol that the buyer paid me to have the local dealer preform a full service including new tires before he picked it up and road it home to Minnesota. When I first learned what he intended to do I quizzed him if he knew what he was thinking of doing, tells me yep he already owned 3 Urals for his tour service and doing a cross-country on one was on his bucket list. Guy was a hoot, seems he was the head chief in charge of a large Tennessee school district and goes home to Minnesota during the summer to run his off-road tour / rental business. Idaho to Minnesota, about 1400 miles at under 50 mph, :s0001:can you say "balls of steel"... took him over a week, said he had a great time, was glad he did it and would never do it again.

I see a lot of ads for guns I would be very interested in buying that have something akin to "no sale to WA residents" or "no WA sales"... I don't get it. If we are willing to pay for shipping, its REALLY easy to ship a gun to an FFL...

Hell, there have been plenty as of late in Portland area. Many of them, I would have driven to Portland to look over the firearm, hand over cash and then have the gun shipped to my local FFL.
People don't want to mess with the hassles and risks of non face to face sales. You ship your gun off to an FFL in another state and then it turns out your buyer can't pass his background check and now your gun is sitting in a different state and you have to figure out how to get it back to you and who will be paying for that shipping. Then there is figuring out how to handle the payment so you don't get screwed in that process. Face to face is just infinitely easier.

Honestly, I don't get why anyone would mess with trying to sell a gun to a person in a different state...at least without trying to sell it locally first.

Sounds like more of a shipping issue than anything else. I have sold several firearms to Washington folks, but its Face to Face at the FFL. Never a problem. But just factor that into the price. It's a pretty drive up there. :)

No Big deal.

You ship your gun off to an FFL in another state and then it turns out your buyer can't pass his background check and now your gun is sitting in a different state and you have to figure out how to get it back to you and who will be paying for that shipping. Then there is figuring out how to handle the payment so you don't get screwed in that process.
If the buyer fails the check and wants his money back he gets to pay for the return shipping. Otherwise the receiving FFL gets a free gun. Im not certain how that latter part works... interesting.

I just got a pistol from Buds Gun Shop and it was a very easy transaction. I've never shipped a firearm to a FFL simply because the costs of proper packaging, my time and shipping costs really add to the overall purchase price. As a result, I simply have to say no to those asking to ship. I'm old enough to remember buying guns from Keith's in Gresham and just paying for it and carrying it out to my car and then home.

If the buyer fails the check and wants his money back he gets to pay for the return shipping. Otherwise the receiving FFL gets a free gun. Im not certain how that latter part works... interesting.
And that pristine 1911 you sent out has a new idiot mark when you get it back after the "buyers" inspection.

What could possibly go wrong...

Admittedly not exactly on topic...
But...
FFL transfer fees are the biggest stopping point for me.

If I do a legal transfer , the nearest FFL to me , wants a $50 dollar fee for a private party transfer.

So add that into the shipping costs...and the hassle of shipping a firearm....means that I don't do it , as general rule.
Most of my buying and selling happens at a local gun show...the FFL transfer fee is less expensive there.

I miss the days of legally doing a simple face to face transaction.
Andy

Last Edited:
People don't want to mess with the hassles and risks of non face to face sales. You ship your gun off to an FFL in another state and then it turns out your buyer can't pass his background check and now your gun is sitting in a different state and you have to figure out how to get it back to you and who will be paying for that shipping. Then there is figuring out how to handle the payment so you don't get screwed in that process. Face to face is just infinitely easier.

Honestly, I don't get why anyone would mess with trying to sell a gun to a person in a different state...at least without trying to sell it locally first.
IMO that is their problem. You bought it regardless of if you pass a background check.

Yes, but. It's not an agent of Bud's who is presenting it to the local UPS hub. And that's where things can go sideways on acceptance. Seems like I read somewhere that Shipmygun would provide shippers with a copy of the UPS / Bud's agreement that could be shown to local agents to explain the nature of the arrangement.
It does when you get the label. However, since the new UPS ordeal, i do not know.

I just got a pistol from Buds Gun Shop and it was a very easy transaction. I've never shipped a firearm to a FFL simply because the costs of proper packaging, my time and shipping costs really add to the overall purchase price. As a result, I simply have to say no to those asking to ship. I'm old enough to remember buying guns from Keith's in Gresham and just paying for it and carrying it out to my car and then home.
Thanks Oldcorp.

What local FFl received the firearm?
How much was the transfer fee?

Thanks.

I get that there can be some hassle involved, but I have sold lots of items remotely and I don't know about you, but I would never ship anything before receiving and verifying payment. I would insure (at the cost to the buyer) anything worth more than $100 and once you receive payment and send it out, there is no risk. You got your money. If the recipient can't pass the BGC, then that's their issue.

Ultimately, I was just asking this question in response to coming across a lot more folks from OR refusing to ship than WA, ID, MT, etc. on this forum. I was just curious as to why. I used to work at an FFL and it really wasn't an issue. We handled/facilitated lots of remote deals for folks.

Obviously I have struck a nerve with the bitter Betty types. Didn't mean to ruffle your panties, but by all means, continue the vitriol.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top