JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As of today, 1/12/24, Clark County (Washington) Sheriff's Department is NOT processing Concealed Pistol License applications or renewals for NON-WASHINGTON residents. (The Sheriff's department IS processing renewals for WA residents).

For non-WA residents the Clark County Sheriff's department is sending people to the Vancouver Police Department, West Precinct, to complete their CPL application/renewal. This precinct is located at 2800 NE Stapleton Rd., Vancouver, WA 98661.

The young guy at the Sheriff's dept. counter said he didn't know if this was a permanent thing, or if it might change again in the future.

I've had a WA CPL for along time. I just got a renewal reminder notice in the mail. It did NOT provide any info about non-WA residents having to go through a different agency than we have in the past. So I drove over to the Sheriff's office in downtown Vancouver this morning. Got directed to the west precinct police department.

The renewal process at the police dept. was quick and simple: they made copies of my license and CPL, had me complete a renewal form, charged me $32 renewal fee (that's for a 5-year license).

Background check and renewal license processing time at this point is about 60 days.

So, if you are an OR resident who would normally renew their WA CPL at the Clark County Sheriff's department, take note.

I do NOT know if this change (Sheriff's depts. off-loading out of state CPL renewals on local police depts.) is happening elsewhere in WA, or if this is just for Vancouver.

Cheers.

As of today, 1/12/24, Clark County (Washington) Sheriff's Department is NOT processing Concealed Pistol License applications or renewals for NON-WASHINGTON residents. (The Sheriff's department IS processing renewals for WA residents).

For non-WA residents the Clark County Sheriff's department is sending people to the Vancouver Police Department, West Precinct, to complete their CPL application/renewal. This precinct is located at 2800 NE Stapleton Rd., Vancouver, WA 98661.

The young guy at the Sheriff's dept. counter said he didn't know if this was a permanent thing, or if it might change again in the future.

I've had a WA CPL for along time. I just got a renewal reminder notice in the mail. It did NOT provide any info about non-WA residents having to go through a different agency than we have in the past. So I drove over to the Sheriff's office in downtown Vancouver this morning. Got directed to the west precinct police department.

The renewal process at the police dept. was quick and simple: they made copies of my license and CPL, had me complete a renewal form, charged me $32 renewal fee (that's for a 5-year license).

Background check and renewal license processing time at this point is about 60 days.

So, if you are an OR resident who would normally renew their WA CPL at the Clark County Sheriff's department, take note.

I do NOT know if this change (Sheriff's depts. off-loading out of state CPL renewals on local police depts.) is happening elsewhere in WA, or if this is just for Vancouver.

Cheers.
It has been done at the Stapleton Rd location for at least, the past two years.
Best,
Gary

They haven't done it since COVID. They blame it on being "understaffed", but I think that's BS. I think SW WA politicians got involved.

It's nice to see VPD doing something useful nowadays though, so good for them.

Utah non-resident permit for the win. Valid in Washington and can be renewed through the mail
Ditto. Hardest part was completing the fingerprint card since there's no one left around here that does physical cards. Ended up buying a fingerprint ink pad and doing my own. Mailed the form in and had the permit in-hand in less than a month.

It's been like this a while in Clark County. I went to renew in 2022 and found out they were no longer issuing WA non-resident permits. I just found a different county to do it in and had no issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top