JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not "whining" so don't be that way. We are a multi-state community and It's just a shame to see so many folks who can't be "bothered" to deal with those from other states. That is all.

It's been over a year now (maybe even two years) since both FedEx and UPS changed their policies so that a private party CANNOT ship a handgun (nor any firearm, if I recall the policies I read correctly) to an FFL for transfer to another private party. These carriers only accept firearms shipments originating from an FFL. So, that adds another fee (for the shipping FFL's effort) on top of the actual carrier shipping charge.

And it's another hassle in a sales process for me to arrange shipping through a local FFL. (And, of course, a private party has not been able to ship handguns to an FFL via USPS for a very long time).

I've sold and shipped a lot of firearms out of state to well known members with lots of positive feedback. But not since FedEx and UPS changed their shipping polices. Too much of a hassle now.

Oh, I'm sorry let me bend over backwards to accommodate you. :rolleyes:
And.... what @titsonritz said: 👆 As a buyer, I am not the center of the universe and to expect a seller to jump through a bunch of hoops because I want his gun isn't a realistic perspective on my part.

So, even for a lot of us who weren't intimidated with shipping before, now it has become so much of a hassle that it's just not worth the effort.

For others who know nothing about shipping a firearm, it's a scary proposition and one they are not interested in learning about. I can understand that.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Cheers.

Here are FedEx and UPS webpages from today - 2/23/23, regarding firearms shipping by non FFL. Basically, they do not allow private party firearms shipments.

Because federal regulations allow private parties to ship firearms via common carrier, that does NOT require a common carrier to accept private party firearms shipments. Though both UPS and FedEx used to do so, they don't any longer.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 3.15.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 3.14.51 PM.png

Shipping is a pain if you're not an FFL. To ship USPS they require that it's boxed so that it's not identifiable as a firearm. This adds time and or money to double box it. Then you have to inform them it's a firearm. Then the clerk at the small post office near your house says they don't know and won't ship it, so you have to go downtown where they'll take it. Then it's $50+ to ship it priority. The one time I did it, it added about two hours to the process. If you get a dealer to ship it, then it costs more. It's just not worth it.

Seems like it would only be worth it for the buyer if the gun was rare, collectable, really expensive.... then, they would be putting all their money in the hands of a stranger first. If I was the seller, I would add the shipping cost to the price, plus It has to be worth it to the seller to find a FFL to ship the gun thru, and pay for that cost whatever it is. And that should include personal time to find a box and package it, find said FFL, drive to the FFL etc. IMO if I have to spend more than 30 minutes to get the gun on its way Im going to be compensated for that since I can just wait to find a buyer in state.

A bit over 2 years ago I shipped a handgun to an FFL on the east coast it cost me about $80 if I recall. ouch.

I think if someone out of state really wanted to buy a gun they should let the seller know up front at fist contact they are willing to add the cost of packaging, FFL search and drive time, shipping costs to the sale price and then maybe some more buyers might be interested. Doesnt sound worth it for something like a Glock or even a basic hunting rifle.

I've shipped and received dozens of long guns (no handguns) to/from Kali to/from dozens of states to 03 & 01 FFLs, generally only if the other end accepts from private parties (that's how you end up with 40 SKSs). That was in the past 10 years, but now I'm hesitant, with so many regs in limbo. Lots of folks won't ship to Kali these days, but I've tapered way back on any purchases. I've never considered it an inconvenience to further milsurp and C&R collections. PAX

I've, with some exceptions, generally lived well off the beaten path in adulthood. So if I wanted neato guns, shipping/receiving was/is part of the equation. Since around the turn of the century, I've shipped/received dozens of firearms for my personal collection and as a side business. No major problems encountered and the minor one's were nothing memorable. I'd say 97% were as easy-peasy as anything else in the world of commerce.

I've had a at least one USPS location and one FedEx hub managed by someone openly anti-gun, had their head crammed up their rear end, or both. Fortunately, when you have the facts, in writing, on your side, such mental defectives can be worked around.

Maybe I'm just lucky (I doubt it), but sending and receiving pews has been no real bother. To each their own. :s0155:

Then the clerk at the small post office near your house says they don't know and won't ship it, so you have to go downtown where they'll take it.
I'm not surprised the clerk didn't know their own regulations. I've had a local postmaster also did not know, nor could she find the regulation about said on their site. Within seconds I located and printed it out for her. Been shipping without issue ever since. (And I got the same song and dance about having to go to another PO. Nope, I ain't doing an hour roundtrip because a chair-moistener can't do their job.)

Last Edited:
I guess nothing if you Ghost the seller when he contacts you trying to find out where his gun is.
Buyers are liars and sellers are worse.
Im not understanding, once the money is in your account and then the gun shipped to an FFL. Why would the buyer care to contact the buyer to find out if he got the gun. A tracking number will show it was delivered.

I am selling it, and I do not want to deal with the time and expense of shipping. Just how life goes. Sometimes, what is "easy" for one person is not so "easy" for another. Location, time, many other things factor in. I used to ship, but it is just too much of a pain anymore. Not worth the time and argument with local shippers or FFLs.

The last purchase I made out of Oregon 4 or 5 years ago, Camo SKS $250. Had a replacement stock on hand and sold it last year for $650. The ducats came from horse trading with a guy in Arizona, Turk vz24 ($50 bucks garage sale find 10 tears ago) for a mismatched Mosin M44 (that I promptly sold for $300). I paid to ship.
camo_3.jpg
Once I swapped out the furniture it looked better. It was numbers matching including the wood (ruined by the previous guy). It was worth the effort to go after it.
camo_4.jpg
I'd been buying and selling for over 50 years, mostly cash transaction, but have quit altogether except FTF. Within the last couple of years I've moved 13 SKSs, 2 A5s (Magnum 12 & Light 12), Ishapore 2A1, 1916 Spanish Mauser, and a Kali AR. to collector types in 5 different states. It was worth the effort to help folks. PAX

Last Edited:
This addresses "transfer" to another non-licensee out of state, and carefully (deliberately, I believe) avoids the actual question, which is "Ship".

To my knowledge (at least up until about 7-8 years ago when I did it last), it is (was) legal to mail a long gun to one's self. (In the event you did not want to travel with a firearm and wanted confirmation that it had arrived where you sent it: such as for a hunting trip). No transfer has occurred.

I DID on that occasion have to bring in a printed copy of the regulations and had a healthy debate with the Postmaster at that branch. After two phone calls, he conceded.

Things may have changed, but I found the intentional language used in that reference to be more than "curious".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top