JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It isnt a question of what the freeways were designed for - it is a matter that the road or highway is posted for a specific speed. If you dont think that the traffic is moving fast enough then change the speed limit. If you dont like a law change it - or abide by it. Other wise you are part of the problem.

Ever notice that you are doing the speed limit or slightly above and for some people you still aren't going fast enough. I agree with staying over in the right lane except to pass is a good rule, but going faster than the speed limit is illegal. Passing someone and then taking the exit ramp a quarter of a mile ( or less) down the road, stepping on the brakes and such is asking for trouble. I am not a police officer but I am trying to be a law abiding citzen what are you?

===================================================================

Me. I am just another schlep trying to get from point A to point B, not out to ruin anyones day or to endanger anyone.

But it would be fair to say I pick and choose the laws I am willing to break, amongst those being the speed limit on the freeway which I regularly break, if the freeway is open and I can safely drive 65 in a 55 then You'll see me rolling at 65. Around town and especially in neighborhoods I will never exceed the posted limit, because I feel that would be unsafe.

As a side note I feel as gas prices soar we will see much less speeding.

It isnt a question of what the freeways were designed for - it is a matter that the road or highway is posted for a specific speed. If you dont think that the traffic is moving fast enough then change the speed limit. If you dont like a law change it - or abide by it. Other wise you are part of the problem.

=====================================================

You make an excellent point, thank you for your contributions to this discussion.

You are breaking the law by not moving over for faster traffic

You are breaking the law by not moving over for faster traffic
:s0155: Odd how selective Mr. Ruby is about WHICH signs he obeys. Speed limit? Of course. The sign that says: SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT...... not so much. (OBTW the sign does NOT say 'Slower traffic than the posted speed limit, keep right, it says: Slower Traffic Keep Right...seems pretty clear to me.

SO it is alright to speed and endanger others for your personal benfit - I dont disagree with staying in the righ lane except to pass - I already stated that. To me people that intentioanlly expect special privledges and feel that they live by thier own set of rules at the expense of others are the problem with society, they expect entitlements. Dont ask why people get upset at others that think the rules are made for everyone but themself.

Here's some of the thing they do around here (they being the comatose,heavily medicated centurions in Sequim)
Honk at you when you pass them when they are doing 23 in a 25.
Speed up when you pass them including..
Go 5+ MPH under the speed limit..only when you can't pass
Go at least the limit if you can
Speed up to not let you back in
Get pissed and honk,shake fist when my 1 ton's bumper comes back in the lane 3 feet in front of them
Speed up over the speed limit when there is a passing lane
Slow down even if you are a half mile behind,so they can control your day
Pace the car in the other lane so NOBODY can get by and actually go the speed limit

Same thing out here in Clackamas County cept they drive 5-10 MPH under.

Last time I drove cross country I was in Kansas when I realized that nobody had hogged the left lane on me since I left Oregon. People in the heartland respect other drivers, amazing. Got back to Oregon and almost immediately some slow poke left lane hog cuts into the passing lane just feet in front of me making me slam on the brakes and almost wrecking me as I was towing, then he takes nine miles to pass a semi at 56 MPH. The whole left coast is full of self important idiots with no respect.

It's not difficult, if you want to go faster than somebody:

1 Get into the passing lane and pass him.

2 Get back over in case others want to go faster than you.

Common courtesy.

When someone gets on my *** when I am doing close to or slightly over the speed limit - that individaul is telling me that he has little or no respect for the law or myself. Why would or should I want to get out of their way?

Respectfully

James Ruby

When you're shopping do you park your cart in the center blocking the whole aisle?

SO it is alright to speed and endanger others for your personal benfit - I dont disagree with staying in the righ lane except to pass - I already stated that. To me people that intentioanlly expect special privledges and feel that they live by thier own set of rules at the expense of others are the problem with society, they expect entitlements. Dont ask why people get upset at others that think the rules are made for everyone but themself.

No I don't have a right to endanger people, but I do have a right to go from Point A to Point B in a reasonable amount of time without being held up by others who are either afraid of the gas pedal, or addicted to cruise control.

I can agree with that but I would add that it should be done safely. you have no legal right except in an emergency to break either of these laws 1) stay out of the fast lane excpet to pass or 2) the speed limit - what is so hard to understand about this - if I am in the right lane it can be assumed that I am passing someone 90% of the time ( I am not perfect by far ) but there are those that feel that I am not passing fast enough, those who make up there own speed limit - who is being dicouteous there. By the way it is perfectly leagal to use Cruise control and I use it, it saves on gas. If you want to drive without speed limits, drive on the autobahn or a race course - the roads are posted and for good reasons.

if you don't move out of the way when someone is traveling faster than you are, you are not only also breaking the law, you are escalating the situation and are now just as responsible for any "road rage" as the guy behind you. you could be a good citizen and defuse the whole situation by moving your slow self out of the way. now can you argue that is not the best solution? I am never the fastest traveler out there and never just drive in the left lane. frequently check your mirror as you should, and you will never have a problem with the police or 99.9% of the other travelers. keeping an eye on the rear view mirror is just as important as watching in front of you...you will see the closure rate of faster traffic and can do what is necessary to move over and thus avoid any altercation. isn't that what you want? or are you one of those self elected "speed monitors"? driving is more like packing than most would think...be aware of your surroundings at all times and avoid confrontation. wouldn't you agree?

================================================================

Are you saying that driving over the speed limit by 10 to 15 mph automatically puts every other driver at risk? Because I strongly disagree with that. IMHO I believe you can exceed the speed limit with out breaking the Basic Rule.

Not sure what you mean by people like me expecting special privileges and rules at the risk of others and that I expect entitlements. I would think that everyone who exceeds the posted limit realizes there are legal consequences for doing so (like a ticket from LEO).

Ruby I respect and support your point of view and am sure you are an excellent driver, I just don't agree with the way you have defended your opinions in such that speeders are under all circumstances putting lives in danger and expecting some sort of entitlements.

I blame overpopulation, just to many of us on too limited amount of roads.

The danger isn't from the speeds it's the lack of traffic flow. What's dangerous is cars all boxed in because the cars in the front of the pack are pretending that they are formation flying in WWll bombers, gotta keep it tight or the 109s will getcha. When you work around em, which can be dangerous, you'll find the freeway clear for a mile until you catch up to the next pack, and then the next.

If you find yourself going the same rate of speed as another car fall in front or behind him so traffic can flow around you two. Do not drive door to door with him. I hate it when people drive door to door with me on an otherwise uncrowded freeway, I speed up or slow down to get clear of em and then sometimes they match my speed again, crazy unsafe.

I swear the freeways could be ten lanes wide and it wouldn't help, these clowns would just drive ten wide.

The danger isn't in the the speeds it's the lack of traffic flow. What's dangerous is cars all boxed in because the cars in the front of the pack are pretending that they are formation flying in WWll bombers, gotta keep it tight or the 109s will getcha. When you work around em, which can be dangerous, you'll find the freeway clear for a mile until you catch up to the next pack, and then the next.

If you find yourself going the same rate of speed as another car fall in front or behind him so traffic can flow around you two. Do not drive door to door with him. I hate it when people drive door to door with me on an otherwise uncrowded freeway, I speed up or slow down to get clear of em and then sometimes they match my speed again, crazy unsafe.

I swear the freeways could be ten lanes wide and it wouldn't help, these clowns would just drive ten wide.

The pack mentality gets to me too. It never fails that I get to fairly open spot of I-5 just so two guys can speed up so they can drive right next to me or directly behind me. I speed up a little to get away and they literally pace me. You can't win with those types.

I am getting ready to go to the dentist and I stop by the house to pick up a package that my wife forgot to mail this morning - I 84 east is all backed up - come to find out why - everyone is gawking at the accident in the west bound lane of I-84. I find this a bit frustrating - we are backed up so people can see if anyone got hurt or died at the scene.

Something else I noticed on the way home is how many people ran red lights downtown and on Martin Luther King- yet nothing is being done about any of this. I feel that this is almost like a free for all as no one seems to be paying attention to the rules. What about the two lane merging into one lane that is really well marked but there are certain people that will go all the way to the very end of where the lane is ending and cut others off to get in, but when you dont let them into your lane in front of you your the problem.

I think this is why people are getting fed up and tired and going ballistic at times. Now we argue about the speed limits - the posted limit or the self imposed speed limits - maybe it doesnt really matter - no courtesy or rules to follow - I am ready for a revolution. I believe we should all know what the laws are but it appears that very few wish to obey them, myself at times included. The police sure arent willing to enforce them. I beleive that there is relationship between following laws and courtesy. I would ask if the people that impose thier own laws such as how fast they can drive ( over the speed limit ) or the ones that stay inside the posted speed limits need to learn how to drive?

James Ruby

Got an avatar for ya James. :s0114:

Respect my authoritah.jpg

Just messin. Hope that dentist isn't having a bad day. Really hope he doesn't recognise you from your rear-view mirror.

Respect my authoritah.jpg

What really drives me crazy are the people who come to a complete stop on a busy road, just to make a turn into a side street or business. There are quite a few people who simply dont know how to drive, and how to deal with surrounding conditions.

The law only says that I need to be between the max and min speed and by you speeding you are endangering everyone on the road. I choose not to move over and if you dont like it send a cop after me. You have no legal right to break the speed limit and I dont have to support it. Too bad try again.

James Ruby

In Arizona if 5 cars are following you, you can be cited regardless of the posted speed limit. Yes everyone knows that going slow or fast a person may drive in any lane they please, but I do not understand why slower-moving traffic cannot simply move over, into a slower moving lane? I won't challenge an individual's right to drive like a ret*rd, but please don't do it in front of me.

Yeah I have a similar philosophy on passing. I watch other drivers and when I see em do something dumb I give it a pass cause we all make small mistakes, but make two errors and I'm going around. On the road I like to keep problems behind me. People have a right to drive inattentively if they want to, just don't get mad when I pass and leave you behind.

So when you see someone in your rearview they might not be thinking rudely, they might be thinking self survival.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top