JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I've lurked on NWFA for a couple years now, and have learned so much about firearms in general. I recently asked a question in the Ammo/Reloading forum and got a bunch of great responses, so I'm feeling more comfortable asking for opinions on the following topic:

QUESTION:
Which caliber should I expand to next?

I'm not necessarily asking about what type of firearm to purchase next, but I'm not opposed to suggestions within your caliber responses.

I'm leaning towards purchasing a 12-gauge shotgun because it serves many functions (self-defense, use in Multi-Gun competitions, recreational fun, variety of ammunition, hunting) but want the thoughts of the community, who has lifetimes more experience than I do!

Some background to my question/request:
  • I'm fairly new (3-ish years) to the firearms world
  • I'm not a mechanical person by nature, and definitely not a gunsmith or reloader
  • I have a very basic understanding of how ammo/guns work
  • Right now, I only shoot/own 9mm (chosen due to cost per round, availability, defensive capability, and popularity/ability to locate in a crisis)
  • Right now, I only shoot/own Glock pistols (chosen due to reliability, interchangeability of parts and magazines, ease of operation, ease of maintenance, and popularity/ability to locate parts in a crisis)
  • I also own a PCC (a 9mm FX-9 pistol-variant that takes Glock mags and has an 8" barrel)
Info about me that may affect your response:
  • I took a "Guns 101" course at my local range a few years ago as a bucket list item and got hooked. I have my CCP, and have taken several successive courses (102, 103, etc)
  • I'm interested in getting into competition and have already shot several GSSF matches (which I realize isn't the "Big Leagues") and would eventually like to expand to the other "initials." (IDXJQ, IPQJX or whatever... once I'm better, I'll start researching those organizations)
  • While I'm not building a bomb shelter in my back yard (not that there's anything wrong with that)... I do believe in being prepared, and planning ahead.
  • I am not a hunter, and have no plans on becoming one, unless SHTF.
  • I chose to focus on one caliber initially to save $$ (I'm poor) and limit the amount of storage space I need, as I live in a small apartment.
Sorry to be so long-winded. Thank you in advance for any opinions!

12 ga shotgun is a good all around firearm to have for any purpose, home defense, hunting, whatever.

Not necessarily good for bugging out if SHTF due to weight of gun and ammo v. rifles, but definitely one of the main choices I recommend to anybody.

That said, the first firearm caliber I recommend to anyone, whether just interested in shooting or SHTF or whatever, is a .22 rimfire - not good for home self-defense, but you have that area partially covered (especially if you get a shotgun).

A .22 rimfire is a very versatile firearm for any purpose short of self-defense. Small game hunting and general shooting practice - even medium sized game can be taken with a .22 rimfire in a pinch if necessary. The ammo is inexpensive and it is a great teaching/learning tool.

I have more .22 rimfire (LR) firearms than any other caliber.

What you choose is really up to you but a shotgun is always fun to shoot, ammo is cheap and readily available (as you state) and a good pump shotgun is not real expensive compared to other choices.

I to look at prepping and what I did was a Remington 870 with an 18 in home defense bbl then I had the barrel threaded for Remington chokes to allow me to change the pattern for hunting turkey if needed. These are now readily available but at the time I had it done they where not.

Now days Mossberg and Remington have kits with both an 18 in home defense barrel and 28 in hunting bbl to give you the best of both worlds.

With the current changes in Washington state law maybe a 5.56 is a better choice before the new law goes into effect to be grandfathered in if needed, the ammo still fits the bill for being cheap (at the moment at least) and a wide verity.

If you are going to carry a long gun in a SHTF, shotgun ammo is heavy and range is limited.

So my choices are the 12 gauge or 5.56 but as I am not a shotgun fan boy I like the 5.56 best.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy it.

**Warning** none of my calibers / suggestions really apply to shooting sports with the initials in the OP...they are just based on my experiences as a shooter...

In addition to the suggestions of 12 gauge and .22LR , I'd say :
.30-30
Or .30-06

While the above are often see as "hunting rifles" , and yes , I did read that you have no plans on hunting...a rifle in one of those calibers is tough to beat for most uses of a rifle.

The rifles in the above calibers are versatile , can be purchased in almost any budget level , ammo is easy to come by and for what it is worth , many of the rifles in those calibers , do not appear to be as threatening to the non gun owning public as other choices* , which may be a factor given our current situation...
*Please note that I am not against "Black rifles" , nor wanting them to be banned , restricted , etc...

And I must ( as always...:D ) , put in a plug for getting a muzzloading firearm...again they can be had for almost any budget and are fun to shoot...As well as inexpensive to shoot ( after the initial set up )
Calibers I like are .36 , .45 , .50 and .54 ( my favorite )
Andy

QUESTION:
Which caliber should I expand to next?

I'm leaning towards purchasing a 12-gauge shotgun because it serves many functions (self-defense, use in Multi-Gun competitions, recreational fun, variety of ammunition, hunting) but want the thoughts of the community, who has lifetimes more experience than I do!

• I chose to focus on one caliber initially to save $$ (I'm poor) and limit the amount of storage space I need, as I live in a small apartment.
Based on those two statements - 12a pump shotgun either Mossberg 590/A1 or Rem 870P or Wingmaster.

Years back when I was slim on firearms I mentioned to my dad I didn't have a shotgun, his reply was classic - "Damn, son that's just embarrassing." A solid pump 12ga is both economical and very versatile.

That said, IMO, given this point in time anyone without an AR who has ever considered getting one is nuts for not jumping on it right NOW.

It really doesn't matter because you'll wind up getting what most would recommend anyway, namely a .223, 12ga and .22.
You can get all three for like $900.

Wait. You need more than one?

Fife-Pic-3-One-Shiny-Buillet-BW.jpg

Ever thought of taking a course like Appleseed? Its a great program for a developing rifleman and gives you some context as to why it's important to have the skill.

To me, basics are:

22LR rifle of some sort.

9/40/45 full size gun and carry gun in same. I actually have two full size guns as my regulars, but one stays home and one gets carried.

12 GA shotgun. If its not feasible to have more than one due to cost, get a combo gun that has interchangeable barrels. I suggest an 18.5 and 26 or 28 inch barrel.

Rifle: This can be an AR, especially if you want to shoot in matches and don't hunt. Cheap ammo too. You could substitute something like a mini-14 or AK if you're not into ARs. An AR with low power optic is a truly versatile option.

If you want something with more oomph, an M1 Garand or M1A or FAL isn't a bad idea.

One of the problems of having more guns is trying to decide which ones you would walk out the door with if you could only take what you could carry on foot. So many choices.
:(

For me that choice is "easy"...as in I know the rifle that I shoot the best would be the one that I would take.
That said it wouldn't be "easy" to leave the rest behind....Kinda like the AM / PM stores..."Too much good stuff"...:eek::D
Andy

Some thoughts;

- A .22 of some type. I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10-22, but there are others. Suppressed .22's are lots of fun to shoot, on the cheap.
- An AR15 in .223. Good for many things, ammo is reasonable, great all around gun to have in the house.
- A .45 pistol. Another Glock would be nice, but there are others. I've got a G21 and a Springfield 1911 in the safe, both are great.
- A .357 wheel gun. Great to have, you can shoot .38 special on the cheap, nice to have some diversity in the safe.

JMHO....

I am just getting back on the 22 band wagon.
Just got a 22 kit that converted a AR15 TO 22.
and I will be buying a 22 pistol probably tomorrow or at least This week.
10/22 RIFLE is a must gun for every one .
I need one .
But I'm going to get a pistol for now. 43916.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews