JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hell his Avatar says SEATTLE your close to him .
It might be a good idea you show him the ropes.
Lol .
Oh yeah TELL HIM DON'T BUY YOUR AMMO OR GUNS IN THE SEATTLE CITY LIMITS .

I'm closer than my profile lets on, but that being said, I'm not in the habit of completely walking people through such simple tasks when simple internet searches and a little light reading can completely enlighten someone. I definitely wish the OP the best though.

If someone has gone through the initiative to take 3 classes from a local range, clearly they have the wherewithal to grow in their firearm ownership on their own accord.

I will say though that I frequent Renton Fish and Game Club, participate in the Black Rifle League as much as my schedule allows, and I recommend others to try it a few times.

In summary, I recommend to everyone that they participate in a competitive capacity, even at the most basic level, to continue to grow in familiarity with the firearm and increase skills, additionally, seeing many other shooters in a competitive capacity can be very educational from a gear and a training standpoint.

One of the problems of having more guns is trying to decide which ones you would walk out the door with if you could only take what you could carry on foot. So many choices.
:(

6rgZE0B.jpg

Accidentally posted a pic of one of my creed targets. I guess that would be a great cartridge to get, if so inclined.. But I'm also in agreement with the guys that said 22lr, 12 guage, .223 rem and 30-06.. Can never have enough of those...:p

Last Edited:
There's an old adage that is important to remember: Keep It Simple.

You already have a 9mm so unless you want to start collecting firearms (nothing wrong with that) there is no reason to branch off into other pistol calibers. I'm a 45ACP/.357 guy myself but if I had one pistol I'd stick with one caliber.

Choose a popular cartridge for shotguns. You mentioned looking into a 12 gauge, that's great. You'll have a lot of inexpensive options. Stick with 12 or 20. No reason to get fancy unless you have a specific job at hand.

Unless you're looking to get into period or C&R collecting stick with a 5.56 or .308 for a rifle cartridge. Sure everyone loves feeling like John Wayne with a good 30-30 lever action but common calibers mean two things 1. They are everywhere 2. They cost less. I'd wager dollars to donuts that 80% of members on this site have either 5.56 or .308 and 100% of military and law enforcement carry that ammunition. Be wary of trendy calibers (I'm looking at you .300 blk) and formerly inexpensive ammunition (*cough* .303 and 7.62x54r) that is now growing steadily in price.

Sticking with common calibers will ensure plenty of ammunition choices and generally affordable prices.

I'll end on a note that firearms are both great collector items and functional tools so no two people will have the same needs or opinions. Find out what works best for you and safe shooting.

Last Edited:
My advice to new shooters is to initially focus on acquiring the following...
  • A good defensive pistol
  • A good defensive rifle
  • A good 12 gauge shotgun
  • A good .22 rifle
The order of the above is entirely up to you, as are the calibers. After the above four, it's completely up to you on where to go next.

But a word about calibers...I made a decision back when I first started acquiring guns that I was going to try to stick to just two handgun calibers. It was a good decision. I went with 45 acp and 9mm. And I don't even have all the guns in those two calibers that I want. Keeping them all fed is no small task either. I couldn't imagine how things would be if I had thrown .40 cal or 38/357 into the mix.

Note that I don't include .22 in this. Since I had a .22 rifle already, picking up a .22 handgun at some point made sense. And I may, in fact, pickup a .38/357 revolver at some point. But if I do, it will be strictly a range toy. I'm won't stock and maintain an ammo supply for it, holsters for it, etc.

At least this is the lie I tell myself. :rolleyes:

My advise for a new shooter if you want to shoot a handgun well is to train with
a 22 target pistol. I would recommend a full size and weight 5.5 " Bull barrel like a Ruger.
You have no rifle so a 10-22 or an AR-15 would be next? Basic Ruger or S&W
ARs are going cheap now. Get one while you can.:confused::confused: An AR is good for a beginner
low recoil, accurate and fun to shoot. Of all the firearms I own probably the shotguns
see the least use.:D

My advise for a new shooter if you want to shoot a handgun well is to train with
a 22 target pistol. I would recommend a full size and weight 5.5 " Bull barrel like a Ruger.
You have no rifle so a 10-22 or an AR-15 would be next? Basic Ruger or S&W
ARs are going cheap now. Get one while you can.:confused::confused: An AR is good for a beginner
low recoil, accurate and fun to shoot. Of all the firearms I own probably the shotguns
Good post ron. When i think of these threads, i always think of the ruger mk2 target pistol. Great suggestion.

Pretty much everybody should have guns in these calibers: 9mm, .22LR, and either .223 or .308, due to the sheer ubiquity of them. Other than those, whatever caliber tickles your fancy.

An air rifle (a good one, not a BB gun) with a rifled barrel and a good trigger is a great way to build and keep rifle skills. It's cheap and you shoot one in your back yard. (Or in the house if necessary)

The calibers I have, listed in order of my priorities (my situation):

.22 rimfire (mostly LR, but some CB/etc., no magnums)
9mm
7.62x39 or 5.56x45
.45 ACP
7.62x51
5.7x28 (an exceptional case due to family medical issues)
12 ga
.30-30
.357 magnum
.44 magnum
.30-06
20 ga
.45-70
.45LC/454/460 magnum

An air rifle (a good one, not a BB gun) with a rifled barrel and a good trigger is a great way to build and keep rifle skills. It's cheap and you shoot one in your back yard. (Or in the house if necessary)

However, given the new legal issues up there, is it wise to invest in said now?

As others have mentioned, a 5.56 semi auto would be my recommendation. If the OP likes the platform, then go with an AR. Can get an upper in .300AAC later, before "the ban" goes into place. Again, if the OP finds that they like the platform.

Shotgun? Yes, but only if listed in the new laws as a ban. If not, then hold off on such.

10/22, listed in the ban, however less important than a centerfire semiauto.

JMHO

QUESTION:
Which caliber should I expand to next?

Didn't read the entire thread... sorry.

Firearms every shooter should own: (!!!)

1. 12ga shotgun (short barreled, with a spare multi-choke barrel for SHTF hunting needs)
2. .22lr rifle, your choice. (for practice, learning skills and teaching kids, for cheap plinking fun, and for SHTF hunting.
3. Handgun, your choice. (IMO 9mm is a great choice for SD, practice, fun, and teaching others)
4. Centerfire rifle. Keep it simple. Bolt action or lever action, .308 or 30-06 for hunting big game if SHTF, for sniping if SHTF. An AR just cuz, and soon they will say you can't buy one, so get it before then.

Just my dos centavos.

:D

bb

[QUOTE/]

QUESTION:
Which caliber should I expand to next?
  • I'm not a mechanical person by nature, and definitely not a gunsmith or reloader

• Right now, I only shoot/own 9mm
Repeat after me... rifle, pistol, shotgun. So you are already out of order! :eek:
IMO shotgun isnt necessary, and go shoot one before you buy one.

EVERY swinging richard is a reloader, they just dont know it yet. Plenty of folks around here to skool you.

Figure out how much 9mm you can buy for $150, and Ill bet I can make more for the same price, and have the tools to make more. They is no ammo shortage EVER at our compounds.

You can reload while watching TV in your apartment. You need a shoe box of stuff.

Oh crap, a history lesson might be busting out....

The US Army in 1873 issued the 45/70 to the troopers. what they did not have was made cartridges to give to them. So until UMC (Union Metalic Cartridge Co) started producing them in 1876, how the heck to you think they got their ammo..... They made it! (heck the Indians too for that matter). BTW the chuck wagon carried they lead, you will have to use a hatchback.

Here's a shocker, some of us even melt lead and mix stuff into it, and make boolits:eek:
You know that Colman camp stove you have in storage.... Wah, ha, ha

Today you can buy the same style modernized kit that those troopers used. Heck Ive got one for every caliber I own. I will never run out. Never.
Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Almost forgot about the caliber debate.....
22 cal, carry a lot of bullets, use a lot of bullets
30 cal, carry a lot of bullets, use one

The only 22 at our place is her Marlin 60. everything else is 30 or 45.
Cause shooting twice is just silly, and a waste of ammo.

Almost forgot about the caliber debate.....
22 cal, carry a lot of bullets, use a lot of bullets
30 cal, carry a lot of bullets, use one

The only 22 at our place is her Marlin 60. everything else is 30 or 45.
Cause shooting twice is just silly, and a waste of ammo.

What caliber debate? The question was what caliber would be the next useful aquisition on top of what the OP already has. Didn't read the entire post... Somebody started a caliber debate?

You are forgetting that in SHTF survival, you are going to be shooting a lot more squirrels and such than you are big game... competition for game will be intense and the supply of ungulates will become depleted quickly. Yes, .22lr would be easier to carry and also quieter to shoot, esp with a can.

Reasons to own one today... they are fun to shoot, sage rats need killing, kids need to be taught, etc etc etc etc etc.

As for making your own ammo: Well, good idea!

Of all the firearms I own probably the shotguns

Perhaps, esp for non-hunters or non-birdhunters, but reason to own one is for Home Defense, and for home and block defense if SHTF plan includes sheltering in place. Also useful if plan is to go native, but .22 is much better option for woods hunting IMO.

If it comes down to that, ill go back to my roots and just use a bow and arrow..

Will still need a sword and long knife for when you run out of ammo. ;):D

Yes. OP should be informed tho that springer air rifles require a slightly different technique than standard rifles or pre-charged pneumatics. Recommended research artillery hold. :)

On the one hand, penetration and expansion matters, on the other hand, bullet placement matters too.

Weight and recoil affect placement. Sometimes you need to shoot more than once due to missing the target - especially under duress/stress.

Going by some of the priorities u mentioned (lower cost, storage space, target/competition shooting) I would agree with many of the other posters above that 22lr and 12ga should be next for ur situation imo.

22lr keeps costs low (as low as 3 cents per round for bulk and 6 cents per round for specialty ammo). Required storage space is small. Very versatile uses such as: survival, shtf, competitive shooting, fun plinking, suppressed shooting, pesting.

2 things in particular make 22 really attractive imo: 1) can shoot an incredibly wide range of guns (many of which can be purchased very cheap). Fe single action revolver like heritage for $135 new (feels and acts like an old west colt single action army), lever action rifle, pump rifle, bolt rifle, tactical pistol (I Highly recommend!), tactical rifle, derringers, North American arms mini revolvers, numerous auto loader pistols (including target and threaded barrel options) and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. In other words, you can try and enjoy numerous types of guns for cheap. In short they r fun, fun, fun!

2) you can shoot very quietly if using a long barrel (16" or longer) with subsonic ammo such as cci standard velocity (4.5-5 ppr), federal suppressor (6 ppr), etc. Or if u want to shoot ridiculously quiet add a suppressor. Some inexpensive silencer options exist f.e. Brownells has two suppressors right now for $109 and $169 (note long wait and $200 tax stamp required though).

Re 12 gauge it is also very versatile fe bird hunting, rabbit, even deer etc. skeet shooting, home defense, blasting targets into oblivion. I would suggest keeping it inexpensive and reliable to start with fe mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump. Then u can add/trade for specialized shotguns down the road if you want (fe tactical, over and under, semi-auto). U can shoot a huge variety of loads with a 12 gauge (especially a pump) from bird shot to 00 buck or slugs or specialty defense and the ammo doesn't cost much. Pump shotguns r a gun I would not be afraid to buy used. They can be had for less than $200 and it is very hard to wear out a pump.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads