JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pump shotguns r a gun I would not be afraid to buy used. They can be had for less than $200 and it is very hard to wear out a pump.

:) I bought an old Mossberg 500 with wood stock and poly-choke a few years back for $130... it functioned flawlessly. Since I had made my modern 500 into a HD shotty, I had a spare barrel with replaceable chokes. Last year I handed it down to one of my grandsons and it is still going strong. If buying now and had a choice between single shot hammer style and pump, I'd definitely spend the extra dough for the pump.

As others have said, cheaper calibers are:

.22 LR
9 mm
5.56 mm

Might be good to have a non-semi-auto in case some day they make owning semi-autos a PITA. A revolver in .38 or .357 would be good for home defense, or a 12 gauge pump. If they try to ban those, the bubblegum will probably hit the fan and blow up in their faces.

View attachment 517011

Accidentally posted a pic of one of my creed targets. I guess that would be a great cartridge to get, if so inclined.. But I'm also in agreement with the guys that said 22lr, 12 guage, .223 rem and 30-06.. Can never have enough of those...:p

6.5CM (2007) is one of the very few "new" calibers I'll mess with, 338 LM (1989), 7mm-08 (1980) and 458 SOCOM (2001) being the only others coming to mind, all are purpose driven.

Here are the calibers I currently have and will stick to...

12ga - late 1800's-early 1900's, 1960 plastic cases
45-70 - 1873
22LR - 1887
9x19 - 1901
7.62x39 - 1944
.308 - 1952
44mag - 1955
.223/5.56x45 - 1961

I've also had and most likely will again have

.38 spl - 1898
45acp - 1905
30-06 - 1906
.357 mag - 1935

The one I desire most and still haven't reached...

.50BMG - early 1910's, entering continuous service in 1921 and still kicking **it hard.

There is definitely good reason to stick with the time tested, tried and true calibers.

Back when, I used to build PC's for friends and some for profit. When I was approached to build a PC I'd always ask this question first, and I think it probably applies to firearms as well, "What are you going to use it for?". And how much would you guess you'd like to expand if the initial gun was what you'd hoped it would be? Budget constraints are nearly always a factor, but, we live in a time of some quality, affordable firearms. I agree with the many who have suggested a .22, and the Ruger 10/22 is an outstanding choice. And it's the most affordable of all ammo's.

Hello again everyone! Weekends are my busiest time at work, so I haven't had time to check up on the thread...

Wow (!), I wasn't expecting this kind of response... thanks to all!

So...it seems like .22LR, 5.56/.223, 12 gauge, and perhaps .308 Winchester seem to be the most popular replies. (although I'm intrigued by Certaindeaf's sweet sword...). I think I like UnionMillsNW's idea of moving on from pistol calibers for now. And I think I'm going to use L84Cabo's simple list to help guide my future purchases. However, I appreciate everyone's input and am hoping to impose upon the community for

One more question/request:

Because I had previously considered purchasing a shotgun, I already know which one I want: a Mossberg 590a1 (model #50774 or #50776). However, I haven't done any research (yet) on .22LR, 5.56/.223, or .308 Winchester. I would be interested in everyone's thoughts on the best firearm (specific brands/models encouraged) in those 3 calibers with the following caveats:

• I don't mind paying a bit more for higher quality because this will probably be the only firearm I own in this caliber for a while due do budgetary restrictions (i.e. why I chose the 590a1, instead of the 500, or Maverick 88)

• It needs to be easy to clean and take apart/put back together (which is a primary reason I went with a Glock for my first gun)

• It needs to be ready to fire out of the box (I don't want to build my own AR, or anything like that... at least right now) and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of after-market stuff to make it effective. I really like how well my Glock 17 functions with all stock parts. (with the exception of the sights!)

• I like multi-caliber versatility in a firearm. For instance, according to my research, I can fire .223 from a 5.56 chamber, but not necessarily the other way around due to pressure concerns. So I would probably prefer a 5.56 firearm, unless you have a dynamite suggestion in .223. (I really don't know what I'm talking about, so please feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong.)

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions. I really appreciate it!

Sounds like you have the smaller lighter calibers covered, nothing beats a heavy hitting bolt gun for "special occasions" . 338rum, any of the H&H based rounds, 50bmg.

• I don't mind paying a bit more for higher quality because this will probably be the only firearm I own in this caliber for a while due do budgetary restrictions (i.e. why I chose the 590a1, instead of the 500, or Maverick 88)

• It needs to be easy to clean and take apart/put back together (which is a primary reason I went with a Glock for my first gun)

• It needs to be ready to fire out of the box (I don't want to build my own AR, or anything like that... at least right now) and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of after-market stuff to make it effective. I really like how well my Glock 17 functions with all stock parts. (with the exception of the sights!)

• I like multi-caliber versatility in a firearm. For instance, according to my research, I can fire .223 from a 5.56 chamber, but not necessarily the other way around due to pressure concerns. So I would probably prefer a 5.56 firearm, unless you have a dynamite suggestion in .223. (I really don't know what I'm talking about, so please feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong.)

One of the many nice things about ARs is if you are $$ challenged but still top quality buy it in thirds, this is not building it. Buy a complete lower, down the road buy a BCG, mags and ammo and then when you can't stand it anymore buy the upper.

Their plenty easy to work on, just requires a little dedication to learn.

Plug and play uppers, their are plenty of calibers that will work with the AR. I see a .458 SOCOM and 9mm upper in my near future.

Hello again everyone! Weekends are my busiest time at work, so I haven't had time to check up on the thread...

Wow (!), I wasn't expecting this kind of response... thanks to all!

So...it seems like .22LR, 5.56/.223, 12 gauge, and perhaps .308 Winchester seem to be the most popular replies. (although I'm intrigued by Certaindeaf's sweet sword...). I think I like UnionMillsNW's idea of moving on from pistol calibers for now. And I think I'm going to use L84Cabo's simple list to help guide my future purchases. However, I appreciate everyone's input and am hoping to impose upon the community for

One more question/request:

Because I had previously considered purchasing a shotgun, I already know which one I want: a Mossberg 590a1 (model #50774 or #50776). However, I haven't done any research (yet) on .22LR, 5.56/.223, or .308 Winchester. I would be interested in everyone's thoughts on the best firearm (specific brands/models encouraged) in those 3 calibers with the following caveats:

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions. I really appreciate it!
I would take a look at Hickok45's video entitled mossberg 590 vs 590a1 (or whatever it is called).
If u really want that heavier barrel then great but that is a lot of weight when the standard barrel can take all the punishment u can give it. 590a1 is great don't get me wrong but may be overkill.

Also if storage space is really a concern u may want to consider a 18.5" barrel. My Mossberg 500 is identical to the one in this video except it has a butler creek $45 combo pistol grip and folding stock. Small for a shotgun and can be shot as a full stock length (with folding stock extended).

A428081A-C67F-48B1-8FBF-5C3615C966CC.jpeg
Regarding recommendations on guns of three different calibers. Well I could see discussion on 22lr or 5.56 alone going for maybe 40 pages if it were to be cover everything. That's a bit too broad imo.

Last Edited:
Ever thought of taking a course like Appleseed? Its a great program for a developing rifleman and gives you some context as to why it's important to have the skill.

To me, basics are:

22LR rifle of some sort.

9/40/45 full size gun and carry gun in same. I actually have two full size guns as my regulars, but one stays home and one gets carried.

12 GA shotgun. If its not feasible to have more than one due to cost, get a combo gun that has interchangeable barrels. I suggest an 18.5 and 26 or 28 inch barrel.

Rifle: This can be an AR, especially if you want to shoot in matches and don't hunt. Cheap ammo too. You could substitute something like a mini-14 or AK if you're not into ARs. An AR with low power optic is a truly versatile option.

If you want something with more oomph, an M1 Garand or M1A or FAL isn't a bad idea.

These are my thoughts as well.
Some models I like:

- .22LR rifle - Ruger 10/22 or S&W 15-22. If you can swing it, a .22LR pistol as well (preferably to match centerfire pistol as a trainer if you can)
- 9mm pistol(s) - Glock or S&W M&P - you're covered with your Glock-great choice. Stick with one caliber. For others undecided, if no love for the 9x19, .40 or .45 would be great as well.
- 12ga shotgun - Rem 870 or Mossberg 500/590.
- .223 rifle(s) - AR15 - two is one, one is none. Build your own or a lot of great options to buy complete. Ruger ar-556 or S&W M&P15 Sport are solid places to start.
- Larger cal rifle, .308 or even 30-06 preferred, but 6.5 Creedmoor, 30-30, .270, 7mm, etc would do (AR10, semi-auto hunting rifle or bolt gun)

I like .22LR, 9mm, 12ga, .223 and .308 as pricing per round is usually best on these calibers in their respective categories. Sticking with something that is a NATO round can help keep prices down and give some peace of mind for possible future supply. Although when ammo was scarce after Obama was elected, 9mm was impossible to find but .40 S&W was still on shelves; so you really never know.
There are also a lot of other benefits to these calibers (overall performance, mag capacity, weight, availability, commonality in society/amongst friends, etc) that make them solid picks in my estimation.

Good luck!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews