JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Heretic doesn't have a CHL!!!??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That's... well... HERESY!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. It was a gimme... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I'm set. I will again "try" to tell people to not let something catch them off guard yet again. Then sigh when the next "thing" happens and many are yet again not ready. Humans prove over and over that they have amazingly short memories:rolleyes:.

By virtue of the fact that I volunteer with the Central Washington Mountain Rescue unit, I'm plenty stocked with BSI stuff.
Gloves (both latex and nitrile), masks, eye pro, other medical crap, etc. Never worried about having enough of that stuff on hand...

The Heretic doesn't have a CHL!!!??? That's... well... HERESY!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. It was a gimme... :rolleyes:

I used to have one - when I lived in the Seattle area. I even carried occasionally. Then I let it expire when they switched to match new regs or some sort. When I moved here I didn't get one - I spend ~70% of my time at home where there is no real threat, and where I can carry concealed without a license, and where LEOs do not tread.

But recently I have increasingly felt the need to carry occasionally, and I would like to have a handgun within reach in my car.

1) Food prep. But not just MREs or Mountain House -- I'm thinking more along the lines of things we actually eat and rotating through them. Maybe a 3-4 month level of real food and another three months of freeze dried whatever. Right now I have what I considered earthquake quantities, approximately 2-3 weeks.

2) Stop buying powder 1lb at a time. Ordered my first 8lb jar this week (I already buy primers by the 1000, but instead of having one box of each and working through it, have two boxes and replace when I"m down to one). Never run out of a favored bullet (as happened to me and now I have to do a load workup for a new bullet during a pandemic).

3) First aid supplies but I'll need to study. Right now I have vitamins, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, OTC painkillers and bandaids. Not adequate. I am somewhat embarrassed to have made a panic purchase of an oxygen generator but glad I have it.

4) Manual well pump. Another panic buy after our power went out a bit over a week ago for longer than it has ever gone out -- I got a check valve, connectors, new hose, and a transfer pump that runs on my tool batteries. My well is not very deep at all and if I prime the hose going down it, I should be able to pump up some water -- till my batteries die. Not an optimal solution but the only one I could come up with what you can buy at Home Depot.

5) N95 masks. I have a half face respirator and it is theoretically better than the disposable masks, until you get home and now you have contaminated filters. You can remove the filters and wipe down all the rubber and plastic surfaces with alcohol, but you still have contaminated filters. It would be nice to be able to just remove the mask, bag it, and dispose. That said, I'm glad I have something at least.

6) Solar panels, battery bank, and inverter. Not like "run my house" level, but enough to keep the lights on, charge batteries, run the internet and TV. My stove and hot water is propane and heat is wood, so just enough electricity for the pleasantries. Although, if the battery bank was substantial enough, and I could get the right sort of inverter, perhaps I could power my well.

7) Read the dang HAM radio book my friend gave me and take the test.

Might I suggest a solar genset? Depending upon where in WA you live (E vs. W), this could solve Issue #4 as well as #6...

Might I suggest a solar genset? Depending upon where in WA you live (E vs. W), this could solve Issue #4 as well as #6...

Do you mean something like this: NATURE'S GENERATOR 1800-Watt Solar Powered Portable Generator with Electric Start-GXNGAU - The Home Depot

That would keep my internet and lights on I'm sure -- but the pump is 220v and uses a lot of power. On the other hand, in an apocalyptic situation, I would expect we wouldn't be such profligate users of water and would be looking at pulling out 5 gal buckets at a time -- that thing above would certainly power the transfer pump I have (it also runs on 110 as well as the tool batteries).

Well, a coupla things...
Firstly, I refuse to shop at Home Despot. They support a myriad of Leftist causes. Lowe's is more of a neutral to right-of-center shopping experience...
Secondly, a 1.8kW to 2.5kW genset will keep most all essentials (lights, fridge, web, etc.) running in an average home (without electric heat/AC) quite well.
If you have a fridge AND a big freezer, you're going to need something bigger. Likewise if you require any necessary medical equipment (CPAP, etc.)
Thirdly, in an apocalyptic sitmo, you likely wouldn't be spending much time on the innerwebz like we do now, would you? Just keep your phone charged.
Fourthly, a small/cheap transformer would solve any voltage differential problems. We dealt with that all the time while I lived in Italy (Europe runs on 220v).

Last Edited:
I am going to:

1) Procrastinate less
2) Do a better job of inventorying (see below)
3) Get more safety gear (filter masks, eye protection, nitrile gloves)
4) Get my CHL
5) Get more sanitizing supplies
Ditto!
In addition I also need filters for my GI issue N95 mask, one for the missus and a chem suit. After this it's going to be nuclear fallout is why, just a hunch.

I'm set. I will again "try" to tell people to not let something catch them off guard yet again. Then sigh when the next "thing" happens and many are yet again not ready. Humans prove over and over that they have amazingly short memories:rolleyes:.

Good idea for sure and one that I also try to follow.
That said...

From the song Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult :
"History shows again and again , how nature points out the folly of man"
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show