JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on how much of this dot-gov overreach is pulled back...like a few years after 9/11 when everything went back to the way it was and a disabled grandma didn't need to get her _____ fingered by TSA losers.

I am going to:

1) Procrastinate less
2) Do a better job of inventorying (see below)
3) Get more safety gear (filter masks, eye protection, nitrile gloves)
4) Get my CHL
5) Get more sanitizing supplies
I feel you on the chl. I haven't got mine yet bc of procrastination. Will as soon as this nonsense calms down. Usually keep extra of everything else most of the time.

Does not work. When Die Führer said your could go out and hike as part of "stay at home" every swinging dork in Portland ran for the hills and ocean to get outside. Folks around these parts are about ready to use the three "S" rule on all the idiots.

If they come on my acreage then I can run them off. I am far enough out and on what is obviously private property that I have not had problems with trespassers - yet.

If they come on my acreage then I can run them off. I am far enough out and on what is obviously private property that I have not had problems with trespassers - yet.
Gorge was packed when I came home on Friday. Reports from work is there are many people wondering in the Gorge still. Nice weekend, and most things in the city are closed. Governor said that hiking was a permitted activity. So small towns are invaded. Maybe she should have been clear that hiking was in your immediate neighborhood. Though most Portlanders consider the Coast and Gorge their back yards, so she may need to get even more specific and say no more than 1 mile away from your domicile.
Anyway, I am getting way off the topic of your post. I apologize for that.

1) Food prep. But not just MREs or Mountain House -- I'm thinking more along the lines of things we actually eat and rotating through them. Maybe a 3-4 month level of real food and another three months of freeze dried whatever. Right now I have what I considered earthquake quantities, approximately 2-3 weeks.

2) Stop buying powder 1lb at a time. Ordered my first 8lb jar this week (I already buy primers by the 1000, but instead of having one box of each and working through it, have two boxes and replace when I"m down to one). Never run out of a favored bullet (as happened to me and now I have to do a load workup for a new bullet during a pandemic).

3) First aid supplies but I'll need to study. Right now I have vitamins, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, OTC painkillers and bandaids. Not adequate. I am somewhat embarrassed to have made a panic purchase of an oxygen generator but glad I have it.

4) Manual well pump. Another panic buy after our power went out a bit over a week ago for longer than it has ever gone out -- I got a check valve, connectors, new hose, and a transfer pump that runs on my tool batteries. My well is not very deep at all and if I prime the hose going down it, I should be able to pump up some water -- till my batteries die. Not an optimal solution but the only one I could come up with what you can buy at Home Depot.

5) N95 masks. I have a half face respirator and it is theoretically better than the disposable masks, until you get home and now you have contaminated filters. You can remove the filters and wipe down all the rubber and plastic surfaces with alcohol, but you still have contaminated filters. It would be nice to be able to just remove the mask, bag it, and dispose. That said, I'm glad I have something at least.

6) Solar panels, battery bank, and inverter. Not like "run my house" level, but enough to keep the lights on, charge batteries, run the internet and TV. My stove and hot water is propane and heat is wood, so just enough electricity for the pleasantries. Although, if the battery bank was substantial enough, and I could get the right sort of inverter, perhaps I could power my well.

7) Read the dang HAM radio book my friend gave me and take the test.

1,5,6,7 for me.

We have plenty of freeze dried but I would like to keep a rotating inventory of "fresh" frozen.

Solar would be great, maybe + a small generator.

I already doubled the size of my garden, but would like to add more space next year too.

More ammo!

Link up with more local preppers and establish coms.

Figure out how to build or approximate a root cellar.

Install 2 Rain water collection systems for drinking and the garden.

Hiking in the boonies is probably preferable to hiking in urban/suburban areas as there is a probability of less density - as long as people do not congregate and maintain a distance when they do encounter others. The downside is that people traveling may increase the spread factor if people don't plan and take precautions.

Not after...

Bought the generator I've been wanting to buy. Should be here Tuesday.

Looming to get a few more 25# propane tanks.

That's it really. Wasn't too affected by this one. I'll keep doing what I always do.

Collect stuff.

If anything, get a shed to better store the stuff I collect.

Maybe get a ladder installed to the attic, and floor the attic with some plywood. Start storing stuff up there too.

Not after...

Bought the generator I've been wanting to buy. Should be here Tuesday.

Looming to get a few more 25# propane tanks.

That's it really. Wasn't too affected by this one. I'll keep doing what I always do.

Collect stuff.

If anything, get a shed to better store the stuff I collect.

Maybe get a ladder installed to the attic, and floor the attic with some plywood. Start storing stuff up there too.
Make sure your attic doesn't get sweltering hot in the summer if your storing anything up there that could be affected by heat.

But I like your ideas. I just bought a carburetor for my generator to make it run off propane, since propane never goes bad like gas I won't have to worry about that.

Not LDS here, but can certainly learn from their good ideas.
Me neither, but I bought my house from an older Mormon couple that had the place custom built to their specifications.
I eventually discovered their closet, many years ago. I just wish they woulda told me about it 15 years ago when I bought the place. Mebbe they forgot... :oops:
Found it quite by accident. I explained it in another thread a few days ago...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads