JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been running those for a couple of years now. I am upgrading from those.
Interesting. Kind of surprised they work for that low cost. One of them is like $18. Might be worth buying one to see what it can do. My grandpa had a short wave console type radio that used vacuum tubes (receive only). That thing was fun to play with when I was a kid. That freaking Russian woodpecker sound dominated about 70% of to though. Damned annoying. I think it had five bands if I recall.

Kind of surprised they work for that low cost.
Yes, they do - it's actually quite impressive how well these cheap 'HTs' (handi talkies) work.

I started with a Baofeng 5 watt UV5R and can hit a few 2 meter repeaters in my area up to about 20 miles away and sound pretty good - even with a moderately decent 'rubber ducky' antenna.

Heck I have one of these radios in one of my vehicles as a 'mobile' rig and can get out fairly well with a luggage rack mounted antenna only about a 18 " tall.

Last Edited:
Interesting. Kind of surprised they work for that low cost. One of them is like $18. Might be worth buying one to see what it can do. My grandpa had a short wave console type radio that used vacuum tubes (receive only). That thing was fun to play with when I was a kid. That freaking Russian woodpecker sound dominated about 70% of to though. Damned annoying. I think it had five bands if I recall.
They work well but have the same limitations that all handhelds suffer from.

Yes, this is true, but the question was about LISTENING - not transmitting.
Now it does. His post has been heavily edited. Here's an example where he didn't, which specifically says transmitting:

"I have been operating on those frequencies since the late 90's again legally and never been licensed. I have been transmitting on those frequencies from the ground, mobile and from aircraft, even including repeater use."

And he seems to think his employer's license grants him personal use of a transmitter:
"I have routinely transmitted on high power radios and repeaters while not being individually licensed for 30 years as part of my work."

Anyway, it appears as if he's gonna do what he wants, not necessarily what's legal or sensible.

Yikes. Could have just asked him what he does for a living.
Doesn't matter. His permission to use a radio without a license as an employee, even if that's true, doesn't extend to personal use.

"I have been using an integrated hand held radio on approved off road channels..." lol off-road channels. I'd like to see that FCC regulation.

"Federal communications technicians frequently program my radios." is just silly sounding. Sure, someone with a commercial FCC license might be programming his radios (which tells a lot), but pretty sure "federal comm techs" isn't an actual title. I have or had several licenses besides amateur and never head that one.

Says he's never been licensed, yet has been "operating on legally licensed frequencies" since the 90s.

In spite of what he now says, you know he's going to transmit for personal use, specifically with his "toy hauler". He's said so before all the edits denying he will. And doing so with the two radios he has mentioned will be breaking the law. On any frequency.

It seems no amount of explaining is going to get him to spend the time and 20 bucks to get a license to do exactly what he wants.

My only interest was educate him so he doesn't get in trouble or interfere with legal operations. But his head is stuck-in-the sand. He doesn't want to learn anything, just grab a radio and go. I stand by calling him willfully ignorant.

Thanks for the comment. This will be my last on the subject, there's no point going any further.

"Federal communications technicians frequently program my radios." is just silly sounding. Sure, someone with a commercial FCC license might be programming his radios (which tells a lot), but pretty sure "federal comm techs" isn't an actual title. I have or had several licenses besides amateur and never head that one.

And in this case you do not have to be Fed, https://www.nwcg.gov/positions/comt

Says he's never been licensed, yet has been "operating on legally licensed frequencies" since the 90s.
Still a true statement.
In spite of what he now says, you know he's going to transmit for personal use, specifically with his "toy hauler". He's said so before all the edits denying he will. And doing so with the two radios he has mentioned will be breaking the law. On any frequency.
I have never denied or removed any comments. I did add to clarify my use and intent.

Even if I went and got a ham license, it would not legally entitle me to use the frequencies I am currently using. It would allow me use of additional frequencies.

Again just to be clear, I am using licensed and approved frequencies within approved power limits.

One item that's been ignored is that legal transmission on must RF bands in the USA (i.e. under FCC regulation) requires that the transmitter be approved by the FCC for that particular band. So even if a user or employer has a license to transmit on a particular frequency, use of a transmitter not made and certified for that frequency is technically illegal, even if it does meet all spurious emission, power and other requirements.

Not to get on anyone's case, just to clarify something that was mentioned earlier then ignored.

Me? I'll take anyone who uses the bands politely and professionally any day over those who don't, regardless of what gear or licenses are involved.

Best to all forum folks!

Jim Horn, WB9SYN/7 (Extra; licensed 1975, formerly WN9DWM 1970-1972), Electrical engineer, 6 telecom RF patents

One item that's been ignored is that legal transmission on must RF bands in the USA (i.e. under FCC regulation) requires that the transmitter be approved by the FCC for that particular band. So even if a user or employer has a license to transmit on a particular frequency, use of a transmitter not made and certified for that frequency is technically illegal, even if it does meet all spurious emission, power and other requirements.

Not to get on anyone's case, just to clarify something that was mentioned earlier then ignored.

Me? I'll take anyone who uses the bands politely and professionally any day over those who don't, regardless of what gear or licenses are involved.

Best to all forum folks!

Jim Horn, WB9SYN/7 (Extra; licensed 1975, formerly WN9DWM 1970-1972), Electrical engineer, 6 telecom RF patents
The bands could use the activity.

Many, it depend on my role at the moment. The most common ones have been Life 1-6, SO1 and MEDL.

I also assign call signs to those working under me in one of my roles.
That kid is a little brash, but I think if he'd know from the start that you were operating under an employer's license, the conversation might have gone a bit differently.

The real question is, what do all of you law abiding, licensed radio geeks talk about? What is the big deal about defending the certain frequencies? I remember in my younger days a friend with a cb in his truck. We would drive around the woods pissing off people, when someone would stop us, we'd say that we were looking for them too. Looking back, I really wish I had enough free time to do the radio thing but dang, I'd have to give up so much.

The real question is, what do all of you law abiding, licensed radio geeks talk about? What is the big deal about defending the certain frequencies? I remember in my younger days a friend with a cb in his truck. We would drive around the woods pissing off people, when someone would stop us, we'd say that we were looking for them too. Looking back, I really wish I had enough free time to do the radio thing but dang, I'd have to give up so much.
Best I can tell from listening, it's mostly who got a new antenna and what's the wife betchin about today. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top