JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will ask a different way to make some people happy.

I just purchased a scanner. Are there any good frequencies to monitor while traveling that give updates or used for emergencies?

I will start of by saying I am not a licensed radio operator and I have no plans or intent of transmitting on unapproved frequencies. This will be for monitoring only.

We spend a lot of time on our side x side out riding and I have been using an integrated hand held radio on approved off road channels. We just got a new machine and I installed a mobile radio and I am also installing one in my tow vehicle.

Since I am in a "big rig" and we mainly boondock, my wife will often scout locations on the SxS while I wait with the truck and we communicate by radio (on the approved off road channels). Also depending on the access road, she will travel ahead and "clear" the way or alert me to hazards.

Since I now have dual band (VHF/UHF) mobile radios in both the SxS and truck I thought they might make good emergency tools. Are there any standard travel or emergency channels like 9 and 19 with CB that I should listen to?

Edited to clarify that my intent is only to listen. Again I will not be transmitting on frequencies I am not authorized to use.

Last Edited:
IMO, just get your ham license and get way more privileges. It's less than 20 bucks and a bit of study.

You'll get more of everything. With the help of a bit of technology, I can use a 5W handheld radio while mobile in Oregon and chat with a taxi-driver in London.

With the first license of "tech" you can use up to 1500W in some bands.

Here's one of many fine places to start:

Once you go "ham", you'll never go back to common civilian radio. Like trading in your Civic for Indy 500.

Last Edited:
IMO, just get your ham license and get way more privileges. It's less than 20 bucks and a bit of study.

You'll get more of everything. With the help of a bit of technology, I can use a 5W handheld radio while mobile in Oregon and chat with a taxi-driver in London.

With the first license of "tech" you can use up to 1500W in some bands.

Here's one of many fine places to start:

Once you go "ham", you'll never go back to common civilian radio. Like trading in your Civic for Indy 500.

View attachment 1425017
If I had a desire to communicate that way I would get a license. Maybe someday I will, but not in the foreseeable future.

I only have a CB in one rig and I only have it for 2 reasons, first is there was a OEM spot to instal it and all the wiring was done. Second is that I picked a quality antenna that also doubles as a height gauge for my toy hauler. If the antenna clears so will the toy hauler. In 3 years of heavy traveling I have yet to talk on it but has come in handy to listen to a couple of times. Back in the day I had a lot of CB gear including base stations and large antennas. We used them a lot and then cell phones came around.

Dual band: TX: 134-174MHz and 400-480MHz; AM/FM RX: 108-180MHz, 134-174MHz and 350-520MHz.

They are TYT-7800 radios.
Without a license, you can only transmit on the FRS (462.xx mhz) frequencies, at just 2 watts.

With the appropriate transmitter. The TYT7800 is not certified for use on those frequencies. The fines can be steep for doing so.
You have NO approved frequencies in which you can use that radio without an FCC license.

Really, just get your amateur radio license and overcome the limitations you have now. It's worth the tiny bit of effort to do so.

You all are really going to freak out then since I also own a KNG P-150S VHF radio that I routinely use, legally and never been licensed. I have been operating on those frequencies since the late 90's again legally and never been licensed. I have been transmitting on those frequencies from the ground, mobile and from aircraft, even including repeater use.

I appreciate the concern, but I am operating on legally licensed frequencies. I just don't want to destroy a $2000 radio using it on my SxS.

I appreciate the concern, but I am operating on legally licensed frequencies. I just don't want to destroy a $2000 radio using it on my SxS.
I think if you google that, you'll prove yourself wrong. There is no frequency on either of those radios mentioned that you can legally use. And they're not type-approved for either MURS or FRS, the only channels besides CB allowed without a license.

You've been a lucky pirate so far, but when the FCC sends you a notice of liability, don't be surprised.

Last I'll say of the matter, as there's nothing more I can offer if you're just going to be in denial.

Good luck sir. Later.

I think if you google that, you'll prove yourself wrong. There is no frequency on either of those radios mentioned that you can legally use. And they're not type-approved for either MURS or FRS, the only channels besides CB allowed without a license.

You've been a lucky pirate so far, but when the FCC sends you a notice of liability, don't be surprised.

Last I'll say of the matter, as there's nothing more I can offer if you're just going to be in denial.

Good luck sir. Later.
Well considering it is part of my jobs to use those frequencies I think I will be ok. I would be in even more trouble for not using them.

But if thinking I am a pirate makes you feel better, then so be it. It does not bother me at all.

Your willful ignorance astounds me.
Your arrogance and inability to just let someone do what's best for themselves astounds me.

You hardcore radio nerds are so predictable. You can't just answer a simple bubbleguming question without a lecture, which is one reason I will never go through the HAM licensing nonsense. Some of us just want an emergency communication method and the ability to listen to what's out there, not another hobby to waste time and money on.

He already spent the money for the radio. A test takes an hour and costs less than 20 bucks. Versus breaking the law, which can easily cost $10k.

Once you get licensed, you don't have to participate in anything "ham" (lower-case, it's not an acronym) to carry on doing what you want. Without violating FCC regs.

Last Edited:
You hardcore radio nerds are so predictable. You can't just answer a simple bubbleguming question without a lecture,
AirgunAce was hardly lecturing Nwcid.

He was simply pointing out some facts of HAM radio legalities and technical information and did so in a clear and succinct manner.

And lets not categorize, or call anyone names who may have more technical (and legal) knowledge of a subject than maybe you do. I have see more than my fair share of 'lecturing' on a variety of subjects on this forum - and many presented with minimal knowledge of the subject but I guess as long as its' gun related' the 'lecturer's' aren't 'hardcore nerds' right ?

Last Edited:
Your willful ignorance astounds me. :s0057:
You apparently have no idea of how I tens of thousands of people can legally use licensed frequencies while not being individually licensed.

You obviously know nothing about me or my line of work, but I will just say you are right. I have routinely transmitted on high power radios and repeaters while not being individually licensed for 30 years as part of my work. Federal communications technicians frequently program my radios.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top