JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ya know, I wonder how difficult it would be to build a still? If it truly does become TEOTWAWKI I'm goinna want plenty of hard liquor!

It's suprisingly not that difficult if you have a basic knowledge of chemistry and good instructions. The only real problem with any brewing in a SHTF scenario is a supply of yeast. It doesn't last very long or store very well.

It's suprisingly not that difficult if you have a basic knowledge of chemistry and good instructions. The only real problem with any brewing in a SHTF scenario is a supply of yeast. It doesn't last very long or store very well.

That "yeast" issue is something I've wondered about. I'm assuming prepackaged yeast is a relatively recent development, so how has it been done for the last few thousand years?

Just occurred to me - brandy is made from wine, so there is another option. I like brandy. It tastes good. It makes me happy. :D

Ya know, I wonder how difficult it would be to build a still? If it truly does become TEOTWAWKI I'm goinna want plenty of hard liquor!
A still could be as simple as an inverted glass lid over a stock pot of warming wine ..What is of utmost importance is understanding the temperature thing......the stuff ( someone with more knowledge can name it) that evaporates below about 169-170 degrees F. ..commonly called "low wines" are poison.. and could cause blindness, organ failure and death....plus it tastes bad........ same with some of the stuff that comes out above about 175 or so degrees 'though they're called "high wines".... So it's advised to have an accurate thermometer beforemaking
' drinkin' hootch.....You can use all of the above for fuel though...

Yeast is all around us all of the time...The problem is ...it makes crappy wine....Most of the good wine making yeast has origins in the wine making regions of Europe......However it is possible to get a good strain by accident.....

The white powdery stuff that forms on cut potatoes left out..is yeast...

edit to add;Since you'll be walkin' right by the casa de wheeler44...You're welcome to stop for refreshment and a sunset....

Shooooot....

WD40- how about this... No since of waiting for SHTF. The next time I mosey down that way how about I stop by. There is a butchers shop near by that has some of the best steaks I ever sank my teeth and some buffalo pepperoni and pepper jack chesse for an apetizer?

You just have some of that homemade wine/beer/cider/mead and we'll be good.

SF-

The white powdery stuff that forms on cut potatoes left out..is yeast...

Try making some beer or whiskey out of it though :D

Heck, even the dry yeast that you get in most "home brewing kits" is horrible. I only use the fresh stuff from the fridges at the brewing store now.

I feel bad "hi Jackin' the new guys thread with all of this talk of makin' and imbibin' jacks, ciders, beers and wines..I do believe I'll start a thread discussin' some of my "experiments" with vintning, brewin' and the like....

OP... sorry for the thread hi-jack..

W44

PS.. Any time Silver Fox (well providin' I ain't playin' taxi cab to a bunch of small bore shooters)..If it's the butcher shop that I'm thinkin' of, it's real close and real good...

Well I'm going to stop paying all my bills on 01Jan11 to start. F them. Buy the RV off that one cool movie the RV that turns into a super RV tank thing. Then well I'm going to kill everyone sorry :( my bad but it's my *** or yours and I like mine alot more than yours. So on 02JAN2012 I will 1 be broke and in jail or 2 damn smart.

Well I'm going to stop paying all my bills on 01Jan11 to start. F them. Buy the RV off that one cool movie the RV that turns into a super RV tank thing. Then well I'm going to kill everyone sorry :( my bad but it's my *** or yours and I like mine alot more than yours. So on 02JAN2012 I will 1 be broke and in jail or 2 damn smart.

:s0112::s0112::s0112: The country will be crashed long before 2012 but I imagine you will end up in an RV anyway:s0155:

jj

Um...if it truely is the end of the world then their ain't crap you can do about it except put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye!

What about running around with flailing arms and screaming "The world is ending, the world is ending!" I'm goinna do that instead.

In the event of a major societal melt down, I feel bugging out will not be a very practical solution. I feel I will be much better served staying put and possibly banding together with friends and family. There is great power in numbers. Twenty eyes, ears, and fists are much better than two.

another thing to pay attention to is 20 people are also a lot harder to feed than just two.

Thats why im trying to encourage all of my friends to get MRE's and bug out bags and ammo because when SHTF, im not going to have much to spare to them.

For me it would depend of what kind of disaster happened. Earthquake? My house crushed? Either way, just remember how many guns are around, so I would try to make a defensable shelter of some sort. Try to gather a few people together who have some assets helpfull for survival, or they are useless to me. Hopefully when something goes down I am not at work too...lol

Got firewood, books, a tiny pantry of food that is packed to the gills, and one mean-lookin 10/22. :s0114: Man, I need to quit my dang comparison shopping and get a couple more guns. But to address the main point of the thread, I am staying right here in North Portland.

Speaking of things I need, how about a little rural real estate, while I am dreaming?

My wife and I were talking about this very sort of thing.

What really brought it up was the quake in Chile. What would we do. It was simple enough of a response. Same scenario in any SHTF circumstance. We would gather up all of our food resources, firearms, and valuables and head to relatives. We live in an apartment and our 'stay or go' depends upon the structural integrity of the building. If we're still standing and liveable we'll stay, compromised building.. leave.

I have a good vantage point from our apartment looking out over the entrance, narrow hallway up the stairs that's easily defensible and big front windows. My only real concern would be the prevention of looters since I do live in little Mexico and have a lot of drug activity just a couple blocks north of me. Not looking to pick off zombies but really looking to provide my family a safe place to rest. Only way to make it better would be to have claymores planted in bushes downstairs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top