JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking at not so much a bomb bunker but a fire safe place to go.
I'm looking at a 10' round tube with cinder block ends and fire doors. Round pipe seems to be the strongest for underground installs.
I told the wife we could rent it out as an Air BNB to get back our investment. My plan has it about the size of a travel trailer or 25 to 30 feet long. and about $50,000. DR

I'm looking at not so much a bomb bunker but a fire safe place to go.
I'm looking at a 10' round tube with cinder block ends and fire doors. Round pipe seems to be the strongest for underground installs.
IIRC some people tried that in Oz land when they had fires sweep thru their eucalyptus forests.

I think the big problem would be oxygen when you are surrounded by fire - not just heat.

If I were to do an underground bunker I'd do the 14' pipe instead of a shipping container. More efficient use of space, better long-term structural integrity, storage under the floor, high ceilings, wider living area, would feel a lot less claustrophobic. However, I would definitely pay a reputable company to do it as opposed to trying for a DIY job.

IIRC some people tried that in Oz land when they had fires sweep thru their eucalyptus forests.

I think the big problem would be oxygen when you are surrounded by fire - not just heat.
Where I live its rolling grass land. The danger is smoke and heat. The fires move fast, and the smoke is thick. I will be installing an air filter system to remove the smoke and contaminants. if the air was oxygen depleted the fires would go out. People can live in a less oxygen rich environment than can support a fire. DR

If I were to do an underground bunker I'd do the 14' pipe instead of a shipping container. More efficient use of space, better long-term structural integrity, storage under the floor, high ceilings, wider living area, would feel a lot less claustrophobic. However, I would definitely pay a reputable company to do it as opposed to trying for a DIY job.
When I started pricing pipe I found that anything over 10 feet in diameter the price per foot goes up quickly. I get that wider would be more comfortable, but I can add length with a 10' pipe cheaper than adding height. Again, I can build out a 10' round to feel like an airstream travel trailer [ but without windows]]. DR

When I started pricing pipe I found that anything over 10 feet in diameter the price per foot goes up quickly. I get that wider would be more comfortable, but I can add length with a 10' pipe cheaper than adding height. Again, I can build out a 10' round to feel like an airstream travel trailer [ but without windows]]. DR
Ironically, my first thought was set one up big enough to Faraday-cage a complete Airstream and tow-vehicle.

An arched cmp may offer more usable space than a round one. Pedestrian passageways are thicker steel too.
1705327830379.png

I've been debating a lets call it a "root cellar" and explored all the options...if you have alot a free labor and time, cement formed walls with lots of rebar, ww2 bunkers all used reinforced concrete and are still around today.

Other option is the corrugated pipe, this is the route I think I'll go, attracts least amount of attention and can be done fairly quickly once site prep is done...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top