JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my late friends pointed out in his experience that the steel sheets in most shipping containers in his area wouldnt stop a Ka-Bar from poking through. Seems they derive the strength from the corner framing, floor and roof sections but not from the skin.

One of my late friends pointed out in his experience that the steel sheets in most shipping containers in his area wouldnt stop a Ka-Bar from poking through. Seems they derive the strength from the corner framing, floor and roof sections but not from the skin.
I have a nearly new shipping container. I tried to use tek screws (sheet metal screws with a drill tip) and they wouldn't even attempt to cut. I think it's called Corto Steel.
It's certainly not bullet proof, but extremely resistant to cuts/punctures. And very secure.

I don't believe that shipping containers are able to resist compressive loads from the sides if the load is not a solid unit pressing against the framing? IE, the weak spot is the unsupported steel skin on the sides. All the strength is vertical (top to bottom) because of course that's just how its designed and works (stacked on top of each other). So one would need to reinforce the sides...or build retaining walls in the trench/hole/tunnel
. At which point, it might be redundant.

They only withstand vertical load pressure because of the corners. I store some stuff on the top of mine and I can feel the roof flex from my own weight. I'm not concerned walking on it, but I doubt I'd want to bury it and cover it with a good amount of dirt.

I went out and checked. That's what it is.
Corten is what the 44' Motor Lifeboat hulls were made of.

Of course, the steel was a lot thicker, but we were told that it is more ductile and therefore more resistant to deformation and puncture. Only two (AFAIK) 44s were decommissioned due damage - one in Alaska and one in WA state - I believe both were washed up on jagged rocks by waves during a mission.

The first 44 was run over by a 600' freighter which also dropped its anchor on the boat. The 44300 was still watertight and only the super structure was replaced.

That said, the thin metal of the sides and roof of shipping containers is nowhere near strong enough to withstand the pressure of being buried in the ground. It must be reinforced - which is what the video is all about.

Container bunker beats a bus bunker. :)

1705260826086.png

Bruce

BTW - I've said this before (IIRC), but if one goes the container route, I recommend investigating the ones made for refrigeration of contents. Insulated, sturdier, heavier and unfortunately more expensive (but I think in the long run, it would cost less than modifying the plain containers - I could be wrong).

My 20 ft container was purchased at the height of Covid and wasn't "cheap". It's a new one, or a one trip, as they called it.
It was $4000 delivered.

Corten is what the 44' Motor Lifeboat hulls were made of.

Of course, the steel was a lot thicker, but we were told that it is more ductile and therefore more resistant to deformation and puncture. Only two (AFAIK) 44s were decommissioned due damage - one in Alaska and one in WA state - I believe both were washed up on jagged rocks by waves during a mission.

The first 44 was run over by a 600' freighter which also dropped its anchor on the boat. The 44300 was still watertight and only the super structure was replaced.

That said, the thin metal of the sides and roof of shipping containers is nowhere near strong enough to withstand the pressure of being buried in the ground. It must be reinforced - which is what the video is all about.
Cor-Ten is also the usual stuff of railcar bodies, especially 1950s-and-prior passenger cars from ACF and Pullman. A pre-1980 Pullman "stainless" coach, the stainless is just a clip-on sheet and behind it you could sometimes find rusted holes in te Cor-Ten sheet big enough to stick your head through. (I suspect this to be a big part of why on the 153 such cars the New York Central bought, over the years many found the corrugated stainless decoration removed and two-tone-gray paint applied.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top