JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This happens at every panic. Many are never going to listen to facts because they don't want to hear it :s0092:
Many just have no grasp of what it takes to build a new or enlarge an existing plant to make the stuff is short supply. It take a good while, it takes a HUGE amount of cash, then right after they got it up and running the sales would drop because the pipe line would fill. So then they have to lay off the workers who they hired and pay taxes on the place that sit idle. The people who get mad and insist this is some kind of conspiracy are the same people who ignored this stuff when the shelves were full and it was on sale weekly. When this one is over the same people will again ignore it until another panic hits.:s0092:
Big Fat .......YEP! When all our computers were gonna lock up and the country would come to an abrupt stop and nukes would launch themselves etc. etc. Y2K sound familiar............
Next was 911
then 04 and 08 elections
then sandyhook
then possible Hitlery
now a combo of election and a flu season.......sure I probably missed sumptin.......

I'm still good on primers, powder etc. along with rimfire s/l/lr/mag/17hmr cuz scraping matches to use one of the reloader setups for them aint gonna happen......LOL. Surprised I havnt seen one of those come up for sale yet this go around.

Many just have no grasp of what it takes to build a new or enlarge an existing plant to make the stuff is short supply. It take a good while, it takes a HUGE amount of cash, then right after they got it up and running the sales would drop because the pipe line would fill. So then they have to lay off the workers who they hired and pay taxes on the place that sit idle.
So from a business perspective, the practical and most profitable thing to do is simply maximize production all you can with minimal capital outlay: extra shifts and overtime, but no new plants. It's won't be enough to actually catch up and fill the pipeline. As a business, that's not really their concern or responsibility. They're maximizing profit while minimizing risk.

I have no real experience or formal education in business, but I do know that many businesses have gone bankrupt because they overextended themselves trying to chase demand.

The people who get mad and insist this is some kind of conspiracy are the same people who ignored this stuff when the shelves were full and it was on sale weekly. When this one is over the same people will again ignore it until another panic hits.:s0092:
And I don't quite understand it. I know a number of people who are desperately trying to buy whatever ammo they can get their hands on now, when a year or two ago they were not interested in buying most than a couple boxes at a time before going to the range.

I guess I understand it in a way, if I think about it. If the shelves are full and ammo is cheap and plentiful, why bother spending the money to stock up? I can get it from the store whenever I want. But when there's a scare and the shelves are bare, I better grab all I can no matter the cost, because it may be gone for good and no longer available at any price. The old ant and the grasshopper story...

So from a business perspective, the practical and most profitable thing to do is simply maximize production all you can with minimal capital outlay: extra shifts and overtime, but no new plants. It's won't be enough to actually catch up and fill the pipeline. As a business, that's not really their concern or responsibility. They're maximizing profit while minimizing risk.

I have no real experience or formal education in business, but I do know that many businesses have gone bankrupt because they overextended themselves trying to chase demand.

And I don't quite understand it. I know a number of people who are desperately trying to buy whatever ammo they can get their hands on now, when a year or two ago they were not interested in buying most than a couple boxes at a time before going to the range.

I guess I understand it in a way, if I think about it. If the shelves are full and ammo is cheap and plentiful, why bother spending the money to stock up? I can get it from the store whenever I want. But when there's a scare and the shelves are bare, I better grab all I can no matter the cost, because it may be gone for good and no longer available at any price. The old ant and the grasshopper story...
Fear is a strong motivator.

Don't believe it?

Just follow the stock market.

Most just refuse to learn:s0092: Not sure why, guess it's just "human thing". Anyone who has been shooting and or loading for a while has seen this before. Many of us have lived through too many to readily count. Still few ever seem to learn. I guess I am some kind of exception? Not sure why. First time I saw a primmer shortage was long before Al invented the net. Can't remember what set that one off but the stores had none. We could not mail order ammo then or that would probably have been the same. In any case that was the first time I tried ordering loading supplies. Someone told me about Graf. I ordered a catalog. Then started placing orders. They let you order enough to make up for the Haz fee. Price came out a little higher than the store but I had what I needed. After that I always kept plenty. When this great Hoax first got started I tried to tell anyone who would listen this is another panic getting ready to start. Most laughed. I was buying cases of 9mm for about $11-12 a box. Big stores were selling it at less than that and no one wanted it. I was buying cases of CCI MM .22 at $6 a sleeve as long as you bought a case at a time. They had plenty, no one wanted it. At least one place was willing to eat the Haz-Mat fee if you bought enough primers at one time from them they had so many. No one wanted them. Then here came the lockdown and the panic spread. :confused:
Assuming some new "thing" does not happen this panic will die, pipe line will fill again. People then can choose to be ready for the next or not. Sadly most will have a lot of excuses to do nothing till the next one hits :s0092:

Ammunition not protected.

No Right to Keep and Bear Ammo in Constitution.

Obama eliminate lead bullets then tried to classify all copper as armor Piercing. Then there were GOV contracts that got priority over civilian sales (anyone know what happened to obscene amount of .40 sw gov ordered back then)

Return to normal if Election Fraud exposed and Enemies Foreign and domestic responsible punished.

Otherwise, Joementia and Camel have already announced Radical Anti-American Gun control/confiscation plans that will kick off Civil War.

Most just refuse to learn:s0092: Not sure why, guess it's just "human thing". Anyone who has been shooting and or loading for a while has seen this before. Many of us have lived through too many to readily count. Still few ever seem to learn. I guess I am some kind of exception? Not sure why. First time I saw a primmer shortage was long before Al invented the net. Can't remember what set that one off but the stores had none. We could not mail order ammo then or that would probably have been the same. In any case that was the first time I tried ordering loading supplies. Someone told me about Graf. I ordered a catalog. Then started placing orders. They let you order enough to make up for the Haz fee. Price came out a little higher than the store but I had what I needed. After that I always kept plenty. When this great Hoax first got started I tried to tell anyone who would listen this is another panic getting ready to start. Most laughed. I was buying cases of 9mm for about $11-12 a box. Big stores were selling it at less than that and no one wanted it. I was buying cases of CCI MM .22 at $6 a sleeve as long as you bought a case at a time. They had plenty, no one wanted it. At least one place was willing to eat the Haz-Mat fee if you bought enough primers at one time from them they had so many. No one wanted them. Then here came the lockdown and the panic spread. :confused:
Assuming some new "thing" does not happen this panic will die, pipe line will fill again. People then can choose to be ready for the next or not. Sadly most will have a lot of excuses to do nothing till the next one hits :s0092:
I hear you, and agree completely. I can attest to the same thing. I told several of my friends that they should stock up and buy all they can when it was cheap and plentiful. Only one friend (that I know of) went out and bought 1k rounds of 9mm, but he also burned through most of it pretty quick, because it was there and he could.

I bought plenty when the buying was good, but I didn't go hog wild quite like I felt almost compelled to, for a couple reasons. I don't shoot anywhere near the volume that many of you all do, and I know the fire marshal personally, so I wanted to be careful of storage laws. I got "enough" but not near so much as I could have. Like you said, any one of us who has been through this before could see this coming. If we get lucky and get another reprieve after this one, it will happen again in the future too.

I hear you, and agree completely. I can attest to the same thing. I told several of my friends that they should stock up and buy all they can when it was cheap and plentiful. Only one friend (that I know of) went out and bought 1k rounds of 9mm, but he also burned through most of it pretty quick, because it was there and he could.

I bought plenty when the buying was good, but I didn't go hog wild quite like I felt almost compelled to, for a couple reasons. I don't shoot anywhere near the volume that many of you all do, and I know the fire marshal personally, so I wanted to be careful of storage laws. I got "enough" but not near so much as I could have. Like you said, any one of us who has been through this before could see this coming. If we get lucky and get another reprieve after this one, it will happen again in the future too.
Yep. And right now 30rd magazines are still plentiful and cheap.
Read between the lines.

Yep. And right now 30rd magazines are still plentiful and cheap.
Read between the lines.
There must be a bajillion of those mags in peoples hands by now. It's hard to imagine those disappearing again but they probably will if the Joe and the gang signal they are coming after them. Even the farm store had huge boxes of them.

Assuming some new "thing" does not happen this panic will die, pipe line will fill again. People then can choose to be ready for the next or not.

Consider this. That last hoard/shortage came about due to the "Sandy Hook" massacre. The one before that (which I wasn't in on), was Obama's gun control threats. Manufacturers were being blasted for not stepping up production, new, mo' betta' machinery and manufacturing capabilities. As I remember, manufacturers weren't going to put a bunch of money into upgrading/expanding because when things settled down, demand would subside. They would be left with a bunch of unneeded/unused , equipment.

All the new gun owners and reloaders. Are manufacturers expanding capabilities this time? If not, the pipe-line ain't going to fill for a long long time.

On a separate note. We had been in Tigard for a dental appointment yesterday. We thought we'd head to Cabela's and see about some deals, and let wifey get me a shirt I wanted for Christmas. We were there about 15 m before opening and there were six guys standing waiting. We walked up 2 m before open, there ended up being about 15 people by the time the doors opened. Pretty funny watching every person go in, and beeline (I mean quick-walking, moving in and out through the aisles) straight for the gun stuff. Once we got back there everyone was just standing. Because there was nothing! Like opening the barn and all the dumbass cows rush to the troughs, and just stand there. Surreal.

The primer shortage will end when the credit card bills come due. There is not really a supply problem, just a fear problem. How did the Great TP Buying Panic of 2020 finally subside? Same premise.

I didn't go through this whole thread, so maybe my input has already been offered. I got a feeling any, and all, primers being produced are getting installed during the manufacturing of loaded ammunition.

It's almost, well, no, it actually is, SHAMEFUL as to how much some are charging for the primers that they most likely bought at the (back then) normal prices we all enjoyed previously. I have a small supply of primers for my personal reloading appetite, but until things normalize with primer sales, I'll dip into my .22 rimfire stash and try to improve, and maintain, what shooting ability I still have.

The primer shortage will end when the credit card bills come due. There is not really a supply problem, just a fear problem. How did the Great TP Buying Panic of 2020 finally subside? Same premise.
Difference between TP shortage and primer shortage is that stores were getting new tp stock within days or weeks. Some stores have not received primers in months.

I'm pretty sure most US ammo manufactures are also giving serious heed and can sense a change in the wind.
I wouldn't ramp up production - just keep the same #'s going. No expansion and expense if the majority of your market has been targeted by what appears to be THE CANDIDATE WHO WAS JUST VOTED INTO POWER WITH THE LARGEST VOTE WIN (STATISTICALLY) IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET.
(You know - just going with the numerical 'facts' in hand...)

They would be foolish to plan to expand. They make record profits now just the way it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top