JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just getting started with reloading hunting rounds for .270.

I've done some reading have some books, and recently picked up some equipment to start the process. After trying to pick up actual supplies it seems everything is available BUT large rifle primers. Seems they are a little scarce for the specific primer my load recipe calls for. I can find the generic GinX large rifle primers easily but don't know if you can use any LRP or if it has to be the specific named LRP called for in the load recipe.

(chuckling......) I suspect most of the answers will be use them or use what you can get, they will make it go boom......however I don't want the BIG BOOM! LOL

I'm specifically going to load:
.270 Barnes 129gr LRX BT with 52grains of IMR4350 (Max load data grains is 55.7c)
Calls for a Rem 9 1/2 primer

Just not sure how interchangeable primers are in these recipes. Just trying to be as safe as possible especially with things I'm new to and don't know if these have the same burn rate, heat rating, etc across the board. Looking for responses from people in the know on this.....

Thanks for feedback!

Although not for a .270, this image shows the effect of different components for 308 Win. Take note of the camber pressure changes in Table III when substituting primers.
wFB8Lul.jpg

If it was me, *Insert Disclaimer, I would probably go for it since you aren't really that close to the max load data. But I'd only load a few, just in case they are too hot. You could always go down and work back up to your load just to be safe.
Generally, I consider the minimum load data safe for swapping components, but if I'm not close to max I'll just go for it. Is that a load you have worked up too or are you just picking that as a starting point?

I'm specifically going to load:
.270 Barnes 129gr LRX BT with 52grains of IMR4350 (Max load data grains is 55.7c)
Calls for a Rem 9 1/2 primer
Have you already developed this or is this recipe what you want to load?

If youve already developed this you can change primers but you need to work a pressure ladder to get back to your developed load...(eg: start at 51, 51.5, 51.8, 52, 4 rounds and your done...), no pressure and your fine.
If you haven't developed this recipe yet just start with the different primers at the low end and work up, components don't have to be exact that way.

Thanks for the information and feedback guys!

@msgriff, thanks for the chart, I'm going to look at that a little closer tonight.
@oremike, this is kinda what my thinking was with starting off at this low powder charge
@TDH, not a load I've worked up was going to start off with this as it's 1.8 grains above minimum powder charge.
@Koda, this is what I want to load to start off. I'm using Barnes load data from their web site for this specific round and powder combination. Min charge 50.2 max 55.7 for this powder type but with the Remington 9 1/2 primer. However really like the idea of one rnd each of different charges for testing and working up from the bottom using this generic primer.

I do have some work to do I guess, and that different "hotter" primers will increase the load pressure. So as I understand primers aren't a direct exchange and do need to build up to what shoots well out of my rifle and watch pressures. Not a bad thing, I get to go shooting and track some data! :)

I really appreciate the feedback, help and information. Best things come from discussions and this got me thinking about a few things and learned some things.

@Koda, this is what I want to load to start off. I'm using Barnes load data from their web site for this specific round and powder combination. Min charge 50.2 max 55.7 for this powder type but with the Remington 9 1/2 primer. However really like the idea of one rnd each of different charges for testing and working up from the bottom using this generic primer.
Then you will be fine using the different primer starting at the bottom and working up.

The LRX is a good bullet and will make a good hunting round. Excellent choice.

Barnes load data from their web site for this specific round and powder combination. Min charge 50.2 max 55.7 for this powder type but with the Remington 9 1/2 primer. However really like the idea of one rnd each of different charges for testing and working up from the bottom using this generic primer.
Just reading your posts, you're way ahead of the curve.
If you search, you'll find a fair number of threads about Ginex primers.
If it was me, I would substitute. I regularly use primers that are different than the load data, but I'm working up a load anyway.

OK All,
So had a friend walk me through the process of setting up the die and seating the bullet last night.

Man that was a big help for me with hands on!

He also suggested we load some test rounds ramping up to find what my gun likes. Just like you guys noted. I also really liked the data msgriff posted that was interesting how different components impact the outcome of the load.

*Disclaimer-- if you use any load data I post it's at your own peril and you take sole resposibility for your actions.

Now.....
We loaded up 12 rounds of the Barnes LRX BT 129gr. 3 rounds of each powder charge. We increased 1 grain for each group starting just above the minimum recommended load at 51gr. We ending with the last group just under max load at 54gr. Max load looked like was compressed powder charge.

We are going to group them today then decide from there what to load the rest with moving forward.

Thanks all for the input and help. I will update once we see how the groups go.

What I believe to be the final update.

Finished out the 50 loads so 38 more loaded today with what Im going to use for hunting this year.

Boy these LRX BT 129gr sure fly different than the Federal Premium Trophy Copper 130gr factory loads. Took a few rounds to get finally on paper but gun and I seemed to like the higher grain load recipe.

Here's the final score card on paper......

100yds, yes one out on its own was me pulling it, but I know it hit where I pulled the trigger. Gun and this round shoot better than I do.

o_O

Still loving it!

20231017_170617.jpg

Caveman believes he loves shooting load developments more than just one load all the time. It's a challenge thing for me. :s0034:

I'm never going to be a one ragged hole shooter like some but that's OK.
I've got test ammo from 2 years ago with powder I chose not to use (IMR3031).

I guess with regards to the primer question.....

I don't know how the different primer has effected chamber pressure. I don't know what fps I'm sending these but they go bang, work and are readily available. I will continue using at this point.

Ramping up worked with this different primer.....I now know that's what you're supposed to do. By ramping I also found that the load I was going to use wasn't the best for my gun.

At some point I'll chono them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads