JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received "uniformers" with case prep machine and wondering when they apply.
I tried it a little on this run of 9mm, 5.56 cases but didn't really feel a bite, maybe a dozen or so. I assume it was more outside friction on shaft (debris/shavings) and not pocket depth cutting edges.

I'm assuming it's for more precise loads.
-Is it ideal to use once initially on precision cartridge?
-What difference between reamer (I use for pocket crimp)?

Picture just in case I don't know what I'm looking at.

1C457DE9-D356-4598-A422-EBC93B5EF7B3.jpeg

Military Semi auto rifles have no firing pin spring such as AR-15, M-1 and M-14. A high primer
can cause a "Slam Fire" that can destroy a rifle. A rifle fires out of battery can destroy the rifle.
This is why special harder and thicker cup primers are recommended for use in AR rifles. Also it
is highly recommended to use a SLED (Single Loading Enhancement Device) when single
loading a M-1 Garand. I use the primer pocket uniformer when reloading cases the first time.
Make sure all your primers are seated slightly below the case rim.

1678375733033.png
Slam Fire!
1678376044574.png

Last Edited:
I received "uniformers" with case prep machine and wondering when they apply.
I tried it a little on this run of 9mm, 5.56 cases but didn't really feel a bite, maybe a dozen or so. I assume it was more outside friction on shaft (debris/shavings) and not pocket depth cutting edges.

I'm assuming it's for more precise loads.
-Is it ideal to use once initially on precision cartridge?
-What difference between reamer (I use for pocket crimp)?

Picture just in case I don't know what I'm looking at.

View attachment 1380145
I have only used that head when reloading crimped military brass. It isn't as quick as a swager but it did the job for me.

Ron gave a good example why. I'm more familiar with using them for consistency in primer seating depth. Consistent ignition is a key to long range accuracy. Consistent primer depth is one thing precision shooters look at.

For 9mm and other similar platforms it's probably not going to be an issue.

I rarely use it, some people I've heard do it on new brass. I have a 223 box of Lapua and of Nosler, the first loading I did use it on them. Did it make a difference, hell I don't know. But I'll probably do the next batch too.

There are several issues when discussing primer pockets.
Uniform for :
Flash hole uniforming?
Pocket size diameter?
Pocket depth?
Chamfer?

Forgive me but, I was figuring that you're talking about getting that crimp.

So then, my reamer.......
I use to use them only for "crimped primer pockets". Military rifle rounds were notorious.

Note the edge cutting capability (to get that chamfer) and it'll also uniform the width of the pocket too.

1678426124739.png

But lately, I've been using them for regular 9mm cases too. Seems that they have smaller pockets than in the past (or maybe a crimp). At any rate, the primer pockets have become more of a problem for me. I use to use only a reamer (exclusively). Though that doesn't work as well as in the past. Maybe my tools are dull?

Anyway.....
Now a days, I use a Dillon 600 to swage primer pockets. The Dillon start at 07:11.

Aloha, Mark

PS......you might also want to consider.....

Last Edited:
There are several issues when discussing primer pockets.
Uniform for :
Flash hole uniforming?
Pocket size diameter?
Pocket depth?
Chamfer?

Forgive me but, I was figuring that you're talking about getting that crimp.

So then, my reamer.......
I use to use them only for "crimped primer pockets". Military rifle rounds were notorious.

Note the edge cutting capability (to get that chamfer) and it'll also uniform the width of the pocket too.

View attachment 1380638

But lately, I've been using them for regular 9mm cases too. Seems that they have smaller pockets than in the past (or maybe a crimp). At any rate, the primer pockets have become more of a problem for me. I use to use only a reamer (exclusively). Though that doesn't work as well as in the past. Maybe my tools are dull?

Anyway.....
Now a days, I use a Dillon 600 to swage primer pockets. The Dillon start at 07:11.

Aloha, Mark

PS......you might also want to consider.....
Looks like a lot can go into a little pocket.
So I've got a depth cutting uniformer. It Actually cut the Anderson and Starline Beowulf brass I dropped on the cutter yesterday…. Just to try.
I'll just stick to reamer on these crimps.
Thank you for your post. It's a deep rabbit hole.

If you have an automated case prep (I have a Layman Case Prep system) why not just ream out the crimps and hit it on the pocket depth too? It takes maybe an extra 3-5 seconds when prepping cases. Then everything is uniform from that point going forward. Just do it once and be done.

YMMV

:s0090:

If you have an automated case prep (I have a Layman Case Prep system) why not just ream out the crimps and hit it on the pocket depth too? It takes maybe an extra 3-5 seconds when prepping cases. Then everything is uniform from that point going forward. Just do it once and be done.

YMMV

:s0090:
That's what (pocket depth) I was doing recently, after reamer. Just when I was running these 9mm cases…. I didn't see a result so maybe it wasn't necessary. It did produce a result with other cartridges…… I was just wondering at what point the depth cutter was used.
Thx

That's what (pocket depth) I was doing recently, after reamer. Just when I was running these 9mm cases…. I didn't see a result so maybe it wasn't necessary. It did produce a result with other cartridges…… I was just wondering at what point the depth cutter was used.
Thx
I don't think many people mess with 9mm cases? I don't clean primer pockets on any handgun rounds. One thing I noticed is, in seating primers in uncleaned pockets, is that carbon in the pocket is loosened in that seating. I tap all cases, open end down, on the table before setting in holder for charging.

Military Semi auto rifles have no firing pin spring such as AR-15, M-1 and M-14. A high primer
can cause a "Slam Fire" that can destroy a rifle. A rifle fires out of battery can destroy the rifle.
This is why special harder and thicker cup primers are recommended for use in AR rifles. Also it
is highly recommended to use a SLED (Single Loading Enhancement Device) when single
loading a M-1 Garand. I use the primer pocket uniformer when reloading cases the first time.
Make sure all your primers are seated slightly below the case rim.

View attachment 1380176
Slam Fire!
View attachment 1380178
Absolutely!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show