JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Consider this. That last hoard/shortage came about due to the "Sandy Hook" massacre. The one before that (which I wasn't in on), was Obama's gun control threats. Manufacturers were being blasted for not stepping up production, new, mo' betta' machinery and manufacturing capabilities. As I remember, manufacturers weren't going to put a bunch of money into upgrading/expanding because when things settled down, demand would subside. They would be left with a bunch of unneeded/unused , equipment.

All the new gun owners and reloaders. Are manufacturers expanding capabilities this time? If not, the pipe-line ain't going to fill for a long long time.

On a separate note. We had been in Tigard for a dental appointment yesterday. We thought we'd head to Cabela's and see about some deals, and let wifey get me a shirt I wanted for Christmas. We were there about 15 m before opening and there were six guys standing waiting. We walked up 2 m before open, there ended up being about 15 people by the time the doors opened. Pretty funny watching every person go in, and beeline (I mean quick-walking, moving in and out through the aisles) straight for the gun stuff. Once we got back there everyone was just standing. Because there was nothing! Like opening the barn and all the dumbass cows rush to the troughs, and just stand there. Surreal.
My buddy and I experienced the same thing at Cabela's just after the election, there was a line up of people by the shelves of ammo. We asked a clerk what was going on and he replied: they are club members waiting to get ammo-but there probably won't be any available"

Consider this. That last hoard/shortage came about due to the "Sandy Hook" massacre. The one before that (which I wasn't in on), was Obama's gun control threats. Manufacturers were being blasted for not stepping up production, new, mo' betta' machinery and manufacturing capabilities. As I remember, manufacturers weren't going to put a bunch of money into upgrading/expanding because when things settled down, demand would subside. They would be left with a bunch of unneeded/unused , equipment.

All the new gun owners and reloaders. Are manufacturers expanding capabilities this time? If not, the pipe-line ain't going to fill for a long long time.

On a separate note. We had been in Tigard for a dental appointment yesterday. We thought we'd head to Cabela's and see about some deals, and let wifey get me a shirt I wanted for Christmas. We were there about 15 m before opening and there were six guys standing waiting. We walked up 2 m before open, there ended up being about 15 people by the time the doors opened. Pretty funny watching every person go in, and beeline (I mean quick-walking, moving in and out through the aisles) straight for the gun stuff. Once we got back there everyone was just standing. Because there was nothing! Like opening the barn and all the dumbass cows rush to the troughs, and just stand there. Surreal.

Yep, remember what happened to firearm prices when the last one broke down? Damn! I was seeing some nice 1911's cheaper than the ones I have now were when I bought them over 15 and 20 years ago. I had a really hard time not buying a couple more they were just too damn cheap.
A certain part of the gun market is VERY skittish. AR's are a prime example. People were cranking them out because of fear they would end them. The guy who owns Kel-Tec gave an interview about this when suddenly the market was flooded with his fairly new shotgun all of a sudden. He said he put on hold most other stuff because he wanted to get enough of the shotguns out the door to pay for the start up costs he had tied up in them. Tooling, development, testing, all that is a HUGE investment when something new or even new machinery is brought on line. If a short time after someone makes that kind of investment the law makers shut off their guns they are just out of pocket.
Unless there is another mass incident the ammo, primers, and such always come back. Last one lasted years. This one has not been going on for even 1 year yet. Hence people standing at the door waiting to rush in and find nothing. This time just like last time there is TONS of this stuff sitting in places that are watching the price and selling at whatever the market will take. When things break free it always causes a massive rush to sell. When the price starts to drop a lot of people holding the stuff try to get it to market before the price drops. The signs of this have been there to see for a while. My favorite place has 9mm ammo all the time now. Have for many weeks. Price is still too high to interest me but, it's there. That means a lot of people are not buying. As they get more shipments in and less going out the price will drop more. At some point many sitting on a load will want to offer it up. Then once it breaks most can go back to sleep and forget this ever happened, again. :s0092:

When the people quit buying then like they are going out of style? I can't understand why people didn't stock up when they were abundant.
I went to range with my buddy a couple of weeks ago. He took his 2 ARs, 5.56 and 300BLK. I took my 7mm Mag and my .270. We spent about 2 hours there, during which I shot about 40 rounds. HE shot over 300 rounds, all the while complaining that he couldn't find primers to reload and what each round was costing him. When people shoot like that a stockpile doesn't last very long. Unless this goes on for a VERY long time, I will be in fine shape. He on the other hand, has gone through his stock of both primers and ammo, and is driving as far as Bellevue and Lacey to try and find them.

I this year have gone through 4,000 rounds. I still have 30,000 primers, powder and bullets waiting to be reloaded. When there is an abundance put away extra for for lean times as the bible says.

I will guess for most things years. I predict supplies will return to somewhat normal late next year when panic buying slows because most will have all they want. Pricing will never return to pre- pandemic levels, but will level off . IMHO.

My LGS actually had primers today. Something I haven't seen since August. Both SPP and LPP. But, they limited purchases to 200 total. I bought my 200. Still no powder or cases, however.

It will end in 4 years, 8 years, 12 years etc etc. Depending on the outcome.
(I don't mean to get political but it was politics that created the problem and politics that will end the problem.)

Last Edited:
100 bucks says if I go out and buy all the primers in the world and I try to sell them on this website for a reasonable price no one will want them just like my AR-15 and my ammo that is all reasonably priced they're supposedly a shortage of ammo but it has to magically be on the shelf at Cabela's or people apparently don't want it.

People love being Elmer fudd's and drama queens spend their lives moaning about things that aren't real. They ignore ammo reasonably priced on the forums but will drive insane amount of miles for their rationed out Cabela's crap range ammo.

Word

100 bucks says if I go out and buy all the primers in the world and I try to sell them on this website for a reasonable price no one will want them just like my AR-15 and my ammo that is all reasonably priced they're supposedly a shortage of ammo but it has to magically be on the shelf at Cabela's or people apparently don't want it.

People love being Elmer fudd's and drama queens spend their lives moaning about things that aren't real. They ignore ammo reasonably priced on the forums but will drive insane amount of miles for their rationed out Cabela's crap range ammo.
Location has alot to do with it, not really a ton of members in your area, just sayin.

In general people would prefer to purchase supplies through established retail outlets for security reasons unless you're at a gun show. I hesitate to meet people in strange locations I don't know and I also don't know how old the items are.

Word
I've stopped in Cabelas a few times recently and nothing is there. Perhaps you got lucky. And, what's reasonable? $150/1000 for primers is not what I am willing to pay but if I put in a little effort and drive a little, I can get them for retail at $50/1000 or trade them with members here for much less than $150/1000

You complain about drama queens but are kind of being one yourself.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews