JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wonder if people are giving up altogether on hand loading, given the scarcity and sky high prices of primers (and powder)?
If I were running the companies that make hand loading equipment (RCBS, Dillon, Hornady etc.) I'd be trying like hell to get primers to consumers at reasonable prices.
Maybe starting new production lines or importing primers from overseas makers.
I'm guessing they've thought of this.

Anyway, I've been at it for more than 40 years, no plans to quit, but I am not encouraged by the current supply trends.

I am not buying until prices go down and that may be a long long time in coming. Stop the demand and prices go down but with three wars going on the demand for powder and primers is growing.

I have been loading for 44 years and have no plans to quit now. I started for economic reasons but continue mostly for other reasons, and I truly enjoy the process. The shortages and high prices have caused me to be more resourceful and creative, but I soldier on. Having loaded this long I have endured many market disruptions and have mostly learned what to stock up on and when to do it. Of course I have been caught flat footed here and there but so far adequate solutions have been found.

I have been loading for 44 years and have no plans to quit now. I started for economic reasons but continue mostly for other reasons, and I truly enjoy the process. The shortages and high prices have caused me to be more resourceful and creative, but I soldier on. Having loaded this long I have endured many market disruptions and have mostly learned what to stock up on and when to do it. Of course I have been caught flat footed here and there but so far adequate solutions have been found.
Like you, I started when we had membership at The Johnson Creek Gun Club and I realized the wife and I could go through $45.00 or so in a 1-2 hour session. That was back in Nov 2011. After Sandy Hook everything dried up for a period. When stuff came back I stocked up. Had to start loading for long guns too. Kept stocking up. At the rate we shoot now, it would take a long time to use up what I have. I like reloading ammo just for process.

If I gave up handloading there would be several rifles I would need to get rid of - the price of the loaded ammunition is too exspensive or non existant. When was the last time you saw 9.3x74r or 338-06 at walmart.

Been loading for about 48 years no and no plans on stopping - just modifying my shooting habits a bit.

Not ever having been a 'bulk' shooter I shouldn't be affected too much and I am pretty well stocked up still from a couple years ago.

You should all give it up and I will help repatriate your primers and powder. I would do this out of the goodness of my heart and for the kids you know! :cool:

It would sure be hard to get into it right now for volume cartridges like 9mm or 223. The big payoff in both cost and flexibility is in rifle cartridges. I agree that it is likely a difficult time for companies that are manufacturing reloading equipment. Hopefully, all the new shooters joining the fray over the past few years will help.

I wonder if people are giving up altogether on hand loading, given the scarcity and sky high prices of primers (and powder)?
If I were running the companies that make hand loading equipment (RCBS, Dillon, Hornady etc.) I'd be trying like hell to get primers to consumers at reasonable prices.
Maybe starting new production lines or importing primers from overseas makers.
I'm guessing they've thought of this.

Anyway, I've been at it for more than 40 years, no plans to quit, but I am not encouraged by the current supply trends.
Washingtonians will likely be paying a Governor "tribute" of 11% for ammo. Given that, anyone who reloads should continue. 😡

I haven't given up on reloading, but I save my primers for cartridges that cost a lot over the counter. While I have plenty of supplies (other than primers) for 9mm, .40 S&W, .380 acp, .45 acp, etc., I've been buying loaded ammunition instead of using up what little primers I've stocked up on. Now .300 Wby mag, .218 Bee, .222 Rem mag, etc., I couldn't afford to shoot unless I reloaded for them.

Been reloading for 55 years. I have ample supplies. I wish I had more supplies, I shoot less then I would like to as a way to stretch my supplies. I have one caliber yet to buy Dies, Cases, and bullets for but as that rifle is not completed yet I am in no hurry. Most of what I load for are Rifles that rarely get shot more then 20 times at a throw. So things last a while.

FB_IMG_1706729216602.jpg

No plans because of prices but will be doing some major reduction as I get closer to retirement in the next year or two.....

I've been reloading for a long time too. I have no plans to quit. Prices have gone up and down like everything else.

At today's prices for powder, primer, and bullet, I'm estimating that it's costing me 20¢ per round of 9mm. Not counting brass or my time, still a little cheaper than store prices.

Most importantly, I can shoot pretty much anytime I want. Either I have some reloads sitting on the bench or I can crank some out pretty quick.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews