JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's funny that the average person buys into the whole idea of being told they are helpless victims, and only the 'professionals' are able to really help you. They tell you that only as an absolutely last resort should you even consider using any kind of weapon to defend yourself. Be a good little victim, just like they want you to be. Perhaps it should be called 'Fear, cower and sh!t your pants'. Perhaps they could take a more active role in training people how to defend themselves. I'm not against running and hiding if you can do that, but they give you very little, if any, actual useful information for actually defending your own life if you're backed into a corner. You're essentially defenseless against a more well-armed attacker. Well, at least the good little sheep will see this video as a great idea and go about their lives never bothering learning how to actually defend themselves, instead relying on the government to show up just in time to clean up the mess after they've already been shot.

Reminds me of a fire in our home 2 years ago - flames on the floor and ceiling and climbing up the wall. We could have just run out of the house, but I first grabbed the fire extinguisher (I'm not even a trained firefighter) and quickly knocked down the flames while my wife and daughter evacuated - I joined them shortly after. After the fire dept. arrived, about 5 minutes later, they told me the fire would have been much worse if I hadn't done what I did. No finger wagging for not leaving it to the professionals, and our house was spared. I see self-defense very much the same way.

I think your being a little unreasonable, Fighting should always be the last thing you do, if there is a choice in the matter. You first must have some safety and security before you can engage an assailant. Unless you are one of the first he attacks, then you simply respond. If you know what is unfolding, you need a plan. You develop a plan by establishing a safe zone between you and the attacker and using surprise and diversion to engage. Just because you run, does not mean your a victim. It means you have the persistence of thought to determine the best course of action. Charging into a unknown situation to be a hero often does nothing more than provide an easy target

I actually think they did a pretty good job, They encourage unarmed folks to try and overpower the gunman. What more could you ask of them? (other than to be armed of course)

I think your being a little unreasonable, Fighting should always be the last thing you do, if there is a choice in the matter. You first must have some safety and security before you can engage an assailant. Unless you are one of the first he attacks, then you simply respond. If you know what is unfolding, you need a plan. You develop a plan by establishing a safe zone between you and the attacker and using surprise and diversion to engage. Just because you run, does not mean your a victim. It means you have the persistence of thought to determine the best course of action. Charging into a unknown situation to be a hero often does nothing more than provide an easy target

I actually think they did a pretty good job, They encourage unarmed folks to try and overpower the gunman. What more could you ask of them? (other than to be armed of course)

First, I never said fighting should be the first thing you do, nor do I think my comment even implies that. As I stated in my comment above, I'm not against running and hiding - it's the first thing I'd do if I have a chance to do that. I'm not advocating for people running out an confronting the assailant. Rather, I'm against the idea conveyed in these kinds of videos that your only choice is to be a victim. That is what bothers me. They don't encourage in any way, taking an active role in planning ahead for self defense. And that encourages people to put their reliance on someone else for their own protection - someone that may not be able to protect you. Yes run and hide, if you can, but don't let your last resort for defense be a last-second grab for anything you can find, hoping you can find a way to turn it into a weapon. Be prepared for the worst and hope you never have to use it.

"(other than to be armed of course)"
And that's the crux of the matter isn't it Iron Monster.:(

All of this "How to avoid becoming a victim" BS would be unnecessary,
if the people would finally wake up and realize how the government
has made them so dependent, they aren't even able to defend themselves
AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ! :mad:

Fighting should always be the last thing you do, if there is a choice in the matter.

I agree 100%. If gunfire is heard at Public Location on floor #2 and CHL holder is on floor #1, CHL holder should try & escape the building immediately without drawing their firearm. DON'T go searching for the shooter -- that isn't your job.

Charging into a unknown situation to be a hero often does nothing more than provide an easy target

Well said.

I agree 100%. If gunfire is heard at Public Location on floor #2 and CHL holder is on floor #1, CHL holder should try & escape the building immediately without drawing their firearm. DON'T go searching for the shooter -- that isn't your job.

It boils down to training and experience. While your example may be right for some people, it's not for everyone. I can guarantee that myself and others on this board have far more CQC and/or combat experience than the VAST majority of LEOs in the Portland Metro area. Not advocating trying to be Superman or a hero, but with power comes responsibility. Ultimately, it's a personal decision that you have to be very realistic with yourself and make in the moment.

This. Even with your weapon holstered, any lone, non-uniformed male not running for the exits will be assumed to be the active shooter.

At best, you will get brained with a fire extinguisher. At worst, you will engage mistakenly with another CC'er and shoot him. Or get dropped by the local SWAT ninjas.

Wander around with your weapon visible? Multiple that risk 10x.

Run for the exits, act like a victim, and only draw if you need to. This video wants to reduce the chance of an altercation between innocents and first responders. Since most shooters only take 1-2 select victims, that is paramount.

When I was going to PSU back in the day I thought about these issues as well. What would I do if something happened? If I heard gunfire and I was in my classroom or in a lab?

If I'm not on a ground-level and the shots close I would pray, thanking the lord'all'mighty for taking all my firearms away in a tragic boating accident, leaving me defenseless. ;)

PSU already has a plan in place to deal with an active shooter.

They have an unarmed, Wiccan, transgender security guard on the premises who will proceed directly to the shooter's location in a Prius and attempt to de-escalate the situation by lighting a candle and honoring the shooter's diversity.

The shooter will then be offered a gluten-free, sustainable, free-range vegan granola bar and a group hug in the hopes that this will cause him to embrace his inner child and begin the healing process for all the trauma he must have suffered as a child.

As an additional precaution, the little "no guns allowed" signs on each door have been replaced with larger, multi-lingual versions that are printed with soy-based ink on eco-friendly recycled hemp paper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top