JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will continue to shoot at cans and the like that I have brought or found on site...and I will continue to pack out my shooting trash and leftovers from other folks...Just 'cause others do not do so...is no reason not to bring shootable items and picking up after yourself and others...
As always do as you wish...and leave me alone as I am harming no one.

actually there is a reason, because its illegal and encouraging the public, on this public forum, many of which do not know its illegal and even more do leave their trash behind... to continue to do so. And exactly that is getting our public lands closed to shooting, something I enjoy.

I will respond. Shooting at cans and bottles is not illegal. In fact when the fire danger is up, it's probably safer than steel or binary explosive targets. Leaving trash in the woods like an bubblegum is illegal.

Like others have said, take a garbage bag in your range pack. You want to talk about setting an example? Let me say this very clearly. Picking up a bag of trash at the end of the shooting day and packing out more than you brought in IS the example we should be setting.

At the end of the day, there will always be bubblegums who leave crap in the woods. Some of them likely frequent this site. By setting the example of packing out more than you bring in, guys like @AndyinEverson are making sure public lands stay open way more than people simply going on about not shooting cans and bottles on public lands.

Get this thread back on point or a moderator is going to close it, and this is a worthwhile topic to be discussing...

Last word on the matter for me at least...
I pick up after myself and pack out my trash and the trash of others...do not lecture me on what and how to shoot.
Andy

nobodies lecturing you about shooting cans, do what you want. I don't have a problem with what you do, I have a problem with what this thread is representing to the public at large. This is a public forum for gun owners that isn't supposed to promote illegal gun activities and I have a problem with promoting illegal activities with guns... which should be for obvious reasons. This forum should not be promoting illegal activities with firearms.

I will respond. Shooting at cans and bottles is not illegal.
its against the law
State of Oregon: Recreation - Target Shooting

Don't understand the question...
If I bring a can to shoot at , I pack it out , in a trash bag that I have in my shooting bag...the same as I pack out other peoples trash.

Frankly I find it insulting to lectured about shooting at cans etc...since I am not the problem....and I clean up after myself and others...
Andy
I'm just simply stating that the items you choose to shoot at would be placed into a garbage bin if not brought out to be shot at before heading to the garbage bin.

In other words your showing others that it is acceptable to shoot at these things. Some of these folks see this and unlike you, do not pick up after themselves.

I'm not grouping you into those that are the problem.

I am however against shooting items that are for the most part garbage.

I am for investing in targets. Where the item is not seen as waste in the first place therefor more value is attributed to it giving the person more motivation to bring it back.

The fact alone that there are folks against my type of thought shows the hobby needs a serious look at the direction it is heading in.

I unlike many, actually work with public entities to keep public lands open for future generations of recreational shooting. So please lecture me on why starting a conversation on this is considered bad?

nobodies lecturing you about shooting cans, do what you want. I don't have a problem with what you do, I have a problem with what this thread is representing to the public at large. This is a public forum for gun owners that isn't supposed to promote illegal gun activities and I have a problem with promoting illegal activities with guns... which should be for obvious reasons. This forum should not be promoting illegal activities with firearms.

its against the law

Checked your link to state public lands, and I'm not sure I see where shooting cans and plastic bottles is illegal. Send us a better link, and while your at it, you might want to check the USFS and BLM regulations, as those people who don't live in the Portlandia/Salem area aren't likely to be shooting in a state forest.

Potatoes are fun to shoot, fairly cheap and you don't have to worry about the clean up.
If you've got a target stand you can tie a string hanging from a horizontal support, then tie a nail to the other end of the string. Stick the nail through a potato and now you've got a hanging potato (or many) to shoot at.

Checked your link to state public lands, and I'm not sure I see where shooting cans and plastic bottles is illegal. Send us a better link, and while your at it, you might want to check the USFS and BLM regulations, as those people who don't live in the Portlandia/Salem area aren't likely to be shooting in a state forest.

It's under the "Rules & Regulation" link.
  • argets must be either commercially manufactured or home manufactured paper targets.
  • A solid backstop such as an earth embankment is required.
  • Shooting at garbage and glass is prohibited.
  • Target shooting is prohibited between dusk and dawn.
  • Exploding targets such as tannerite are prohibited.
  • You are responsible for removing all of your targets, shells and related debris.

Unfortunately.

It's under the "Rules & Regulation" link.
  • argets must be either commercially manufactured or home manufactured paper targets.
  • A solid backstop such as an earth embankment is required.
  • Shooting at garbage and glass is prohibited.
  • Target shooting is prohibited between dusk and dawn.
  • Exploding targets such as tannerite are prohibited.
  • You are responsible for removing all of your targets, shells and related debris.

Unfortunately.

Good enough. On the off-chance I ever decide to shoot on the Tillamook State Forest, I shall endeavor to shoot only at approved paper targets...

Now I'm done.

you have to expand the Rules and Regulations link by clicking on it.

here are some more links to the laws for federal lands.
Mt. Hood National Forest - Recreation
Programs: Recreation: Recreation Programs: Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

I'm so glad that I only shoot on private land. If I ever shoot on Federal land, I will remember not to use Tannerite. I don't intend to be shooting any old major appliances, cars, & such. Can't afford $20 per commercial reactive target. So...

:s0088:

I will not retract any of my statements and I will not be held responsible the the actions of others.

I will not be told to do so (or not do so).

Perfectly fun thread damaged by a tangent.

:confused:

I'm going to chime in with what I think the OP was looking for:

I too was feeling the bullseye paper blues. Some short-term suggestions are closely related to what's been suggested; I use liquid creamer in my coffee and the quart jugs they come in make fun targets, especially lined up on a barrel. Another thing I've come across recently are bowling pins. Bowling alleys sell their used worn out pins but don't tell them what your going to do with them. There's even a warning on the box "do not use for firearms target." You know there's a lawsuit somewhere that made them sqirrely about it. Like steel targets, to avoid that unpopular Irishman Rick O'Shay, you need to stay back at least 10 yards.

In the long term, my solution was to get into competition shooting. I'm too old and slow to win any awards but I love the challenge of each stage. There's not only a variety of targets and configurations but reloading strategies and other problems to solve that make it more interesting.

Hope this brings the thread a little more back on track.

I like a mix that includes resetting gongs, a case of clays, paper or reactive paper and we always have a couple of 12 packs of diet grapefruit sodas!
I don't really believe that the diet grapefruit actually erupts better!
It's just that it deserves to die more than other sodas!!! :D

When the DIL or grandkids are shooting it's a standing rule that they have to shoot a few decent groups on paper with grandpa or dad coaching!

Last Edited:
When I take out new shooters...and particularly women...I try to make it more of a social event. Now it helps that my shooting spot is up in our local mountains. So we start the trip by stopping for coffee before we leave the city. Then we've got about an hour's drive to the breakfast place. Who doesn't like yummy breakfast?

Then it's about 30 minutes to the spot...all of this is through the local mountains which is a very pretty drive. Chicks dig pretty drives. The last three miles are on dirt so that's a new experience for people who have never been off road. And adds to the spirit of adventure.

Then we shoot for two to four hours. With lots of breaks in between for socializing. There's a balance to be struck here but 4-6 people seems about right so that there's enough variety in interacting with people and it's not too many. I'm also sure to pack water and snacks and at times have even brought a full picnic. So shoot for a couple hours, then bust out the NOM's, then shoot a bit more and leave. Chicks dig picnics! You can even bring a nice bottle of wine or something but obviously that should be reserved for when the shooting is done. Drink responsibly and all that.

As for the shooting portion and as others have said, there is no substitute for steel targets. They're a ton more fun than paper. And it always escapes me why people won't/don't buy steel targets. We'll spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on guns and ammo but not invest a bit in some good steel targets. Good quality ones will last damn near forever and they're so much more fun to shoot than paper. The next time you're thinking of buying a new gun, put that money toward some steel targets. I promise you that you won't regret it and you'll kick yourself for waiting so long.

Then it's time to head home. Did I mention that our local mountains are famous for apples? You know what that means...APPLE PIE! Woohoo! You can bet we're stopping for that on the way home!

I have yet to take anyone shooting who doesn't have an absolute blast. Even if they didn't enjoy the shooting (hasn't happened yet) they still have a great time.

Last Edited:
I shoot at my own private land and gun club and many many here participate in clean ups of OTHERS trash on public lands ....we are gun enthusiasts not John Q Public ....so not really interested in the morally superior lectures thanks...

stay tuned ......more laws to follow

My plan was to unwatch. I couldn't figure out how. Kinda glad I didn't I guess.

OP, sorry about the thread derailment. All applicable laws apply blah blah blah to all my previous posts. Have a great time with the suggestions. I'm gonna try the poker thing too!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top