JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were those your Christmas ornaments and blue aliens at the range a couple weeks ago? If they were, we finished shooting them for you.

Somewhere I read the regs for target shooting on public land. If I remember right, it was limited to commercially manufactured targets or homemade paper targets only. It appeared that one could get in trouble for shooting tin cans or water bottles even if you clean up after yourself.

My wife saves empty soup and vegetable cans for us to shoot (at the range). We just have to be careful not to get cut on sharp edges when we pick them up to throw away. Clay targets are great too.

I save up a bunch of plastic jugs from tea, orange juice, etc.

I fill them with water then put green food coloring in some and red food coloring in some. Green are Zombies and red are human.:D

I also save up old pots and pans to shoot.

Some biodegradable targets are fun and explode. For shooting a 22, any fruit with a pit will explode when hit. Plums, peaches etc. Eggs are good also. Charcoal briquettes in the snow explode and make a black puff of smoke. Melons work well for larger calibers. Balloons are cheap and kids like popping them. Heck, I like popping them too!
I also buy stuffed animals at Good Will for cheap and hang them off a line or tree. Stuffing flies out the back when you hit them and they swing around making for a good fun reactive target. Once after shooting up 'Barney' we taped some tanarite to him and kaboom, good by Barney.

Some biodegradable targets are fun and explode. For shooting a 22, any fruit with a pit will explode when hit. Plums, peaches etc. Eggs are good also. Charcoal briquettes in the snow explode and make a black puff of smoke. Melons work well for larger calibers. Balloons are cheap and kids like popping them. Heck, I like popping them too!
I also buy stuffed animals at Good Will for cheap and hang them off a line or tree. Stuffing flies out the back when you hit them and they swing around making for a good fun reactive target. Once after shooting up 'Barney' we taped some tanarite to him and kaboom, good by Barney.
I hear a lot of teenagers do this with their Furbies once they grow out of the phase. I'm sure that one day today's kids will be doing this with Hatchimals.

Big Blast Caps can be fun too. Turns used bottles into reactive targets. Fill with 80 lbs of air, water and a little food coloring for a good show.

For when tannerite is not appropriate.

I save up a bunch of plastic jugs from tea, orange juice, etc.

I fill them with water then put green food coloring in some and red food coloring in some. Green are Zombies and red are human.:D

I also save up old pots and pans to shoot.

The empty plastic jugs...Gaterade, Powerade type. Get your shooters to make them jump by hitting just barely under them. And of course they are easy to pick up and recycle in you're bin at home. It should be illegal to leave garbage at the range, not shooting plastic jugs.

I'm sorry to have to be that guy.

I'm reading a lot of the replies and realizing why there is so much garbage left out in public lands.

Seriously guys. Everything that is mentioned here, I have seen left behind at shooting lanes.

I think the culture has gotten too accepting of using inappropriate targets.

If your shooting this stuff on your own land that's fine. If on public land, please for the love of the hobby, think of the message your sending.

If this pisses you off or stirs you up that I'm saying to stop being an idiot and buy better targets.

Good!

Ive been biting my tongue on this thread too. I know that everyone here is responsible and cleans up after themselves but the fact is that half the targets suggested here in this thread are illegal to use year round and are the kind thats getting our public lands closed to target shooting. This is a forum open to the public and we should not be encouraging the public to use illegal targets.

For those worried 'bout trash and "illegal" targets...ice is a great target.
Freeze water in tupperware or the like containers...take to the range...pop 'em out of the container...and shoot away.... just be sure to remember to bring back your containers...:rolleyes:

I will continue to shoot at cans and the like that I have brought or found on site...and I will continue to pack out my shooting trash and leftovers from other folks...Just 'cause others do not do so...is no reason not to bring shootable items and picking up after yourself and others...
As always do as you wish...and leave me alone as I am harming no one.

No one here has encouraged folks to leave trash behind in this thread...
There is a world of difference in suggesting items to shoot at ...and saying "shoot at these items...but don't bother cleaning up afterwards"...
Andy

Last Edited:
@AndyinEverson where do you place an empty soda can or various items you bring to the woods to shoot at if you didn't bring them to the woods to shoot at?

@AndyinEverson where do you place an empty soda can or various items you bring to the woods to shoot at if you didn't bring them to the woods to shoot at?
Don't understand the question...
If I bring a can to shoot at , I pack it out , in a trash bag that I have in my shooting bag...the same as I pack out other peoples trash.

Frankly I find it insulting to lectured about shooting at cans etc...since I am not the problem....and I clean up after myself and others...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR