JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First time I heard about Bitcoin, it was about $1k. If I had the gift of foresight, I'd be putting every single rusty penny I could scrape off the pavement into Bitcoin. But I don't and I missed the boat. So I punch the clock.
The problem with early Bitcoin prospects is, no one was explaining its value or potential. I heard about it too early and it didn't make sense.

As far as my gun advice. Buy earlier and move from California. Don't bother with cheap guns. Some of your best (most trusted) friends will be related through guns.

Well, I can only offer the best piece of advice I wish I'd had that my 17yo nephew figured out.

My Sister (his Mom) and I were sitting in her kitchen having a beverage when Nate stormed in, threw his truck keys on the kitchen table, and stomped by, "Mom!"

Sis looked up, "What?"

"GIRLS!! They're like...BARELY worth it!!"

The boy was light-years ahead of my sorry arse at that point in life.
If you're talking about genetic survival, that is successfuly passing along your genes, the boy has it approximately right. Over the last several hundred thousand years our female ancestors managed to reproduce successfully at just slightly above the replacement rate. Likewise for our average male ancestor. But, interestingly, nearly every human-lineage female reproduces, where only about half of the males do. So your nephew, viewing any particular girl, would be statistically correct figuring the girl is "like...BARELY worth it". But your niece, if you have one, viewing any prospect boyfriend, could legitimately say, "The odds are only 50% that you are worth anything at all." (But on the other hand the odds are also 50% that any prospective boyfriend will be worth twice as much as barely worth it.)

Last Edited:
I didn't read through all of the post so...
Being fairly new to this hobby/obsession/habit/ etc.. I still remember back in 2010 when I first took my grandpas gun that dad had given me to the Beaver Dam Pit to shoot it. I also had a Ruger 10/22 I'd had for some years and never really shot it much. We didn't take ear protection. A couple of nice guys there offered up some foam plugs. I was going to use cigarette butts.

Pouring too much information on someone just getting in to firearms will make it difficult to remember everything. So all I would tell them is:
1: Treat ALL guns as if they are loaded.

2: Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

3: NEVER aim your gun at someone or something you do not wish to kill or destroy.

4: ALWAYS be sure of your target and anything behind it.

That's is really THE most important thing to learn first. After those four rules become completely natural the new shooter will naturally learn all kinds of other good stuff on his own.
Oh yeah.
#5: Don't be a Dick.

A buddy of mine years ago wanted to buy a few thousand dollars worth of Mosin Nagants back when you could get them at big 5 around $40 dollars each. I told him it would be a foolish investment because way too many of them were made. I thought pre64 model 70's would be better. Of course I was buying only the nicest hex receiver Nagants at the time… but I only kept one to this day. Wish I could have a do-over 😂
Trying to guess which surplus guns will be in high demand and/or go way up in price a decade or two later is like investing in the stock market - it is a gamble.

Buying guns, ammo, mags before the gun grabbers make it illegal or at least enact gun registration is a sure bet.

Stick to a few calibers and load up.

15 years ago, I started buying twice what I shot, even in the leaner years...it turned out to be a good decision. I wish I would have told myself that 30 years ago.

The first time I went shooting getting into the hobby, I took a introduction class, about 3-4 hours for $120. When I get into something, I typically do a good amount of at least surface-level research. So I didn't learn anything new from that training that I didn't already learn from online videos or reading.

Sometimes, I question if I would have been better off not spending that money on a basic training. But then I also remember that, although I knew range etiquette in theory, it was good (and safe) to go through the motions in a tailored class with an instructor.

In the end, I spent way more on this hobby than I did on that training, so it's a wash 🙂.

Your friend is going to give you the opportunity to get in a group buy for some HK P7M13's for $400 each, as many as you want, around 2004ish. Dont turn him down and buy as many as you possibly can.

Be more responsible with guns, and read the warning signs when it comes to befriending crazy people. I almost got sent to prison when I was 21 in 2004 because I failed this basic test. Thankfully, the guy I was friends with got the charge and a 10 year prison sentence instead. Never saw him again, and I'm much better off because of it. My only charge ended up being a reduced charge of Unlawful Discharge in Washington and a 1 year deferred sentence, with no jail time and a $650 court fine.

Life changing event, and a good lesson learned that needed learning.

Don't buy that Mini-14 Ranch from Big-5. You will lose your ar$e trying to fix it before giving up and losing another big chunk of cash in a fire sale.

Don't sell that pristine Yugo SKS to that guy in Portland. It's worth twice that much.

Don't sell that pristine 1938 91/30 Tula to that kid from Salem. You don't need the money. One day it will be worth 5x that.

Even thought it looks "weird", do buy a Nagant Revolver for $100.

Do not buy a Springfield XD - you will hate it.

Do not buy cheap optics, they will never make you happy.

How much did you pay?
Well into the 6 digits on her credit card expenditures alone.
And then there was buying her out of the equity in the home and recreational property.
And then there was 8 years of private school for the kids.

There's more, but I think that's enough advice to give a younger me.
Coulda saved a $½-million with those three things right there... :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads