JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that this is a hard topic.

In my opinion, mostly because of a different issue.

I don't see this as ethical vs unethical.

I see this as those that do it and understand what they are doing and those that don't.

Those that actually hunt with a rifle out to 1000+ yards know what they are doing. I know a couple from when I lived in NV and up here in OR.

Then there are those that don't hunt or even have shot at these distance and see it as, well, how ever they see it. Unethical, unneeded, maybe stupid or dangerous. Or whatnot.

I think that's the issue really.

If you really want to debate eithics in hunting, lots of other legal weapons that produce less lethal hits all the time and I don't see them getting brought up. One specific legal weapon I have witness twice in my life not ethically kill an animal right away that comes to mind is the compound bow.

To be upfront, I'm not a long range shooter nor hunter. I did put in a lot of time and money when I wanted to do the whole 1000 yard shot with a 308. I know what goes into shooting at those distances. So when I see hunters spend loads of time and money perfecting their skills to do so. I don't question their ethics.

Your skill level & the ballistic performance of the bullet you are using.

Different for everyone. Some need the target species to be no more than 50 yards while some can stretch out to 1300+ and drop with one shot.

The nice thing is I have the option of shooting game at whatever distance I choose.
I've shot big game from 10' away to half a mile. All dropped where they stood.

This is a topic that gets derailed quickly because of personal opinions/feelings.

In another thread regarding the 6.5 Creedmoor vs. the .308 in a rifle, I brought up the point that at the distances where the 6.5 starts to really outshine the .308 in performance, it was a moot point since trying to take big game at those distances was unethical.

My point was that the goal of every hunter should be quick, efficient, and humane kills. Most of my deer, elk, antelope, etc. have been at 300yds or less.

At least that's my opinion.

Thoughts?
Totally agree. Although range depends GREATLY on the hunter. I have seen some that I would never set foot in the back county with again. The thread No_regerts started on this a while back was a great example. People heading off to "hunt" who could not make a competent kill at 20 yards. I have known a few over the years who would talk about "taking shots at" game. Meaning they had no idea whether they could hit what they shot at but would send lead at the animal. Have seen some head off, tag in pocket, with a rifle they had never sighted in! Would say something like "well I bore sighted it". To me if you are not willing to spend the time and money to know where the damn gun hits you have no business hunting with it.

Speaking only for myself...
I do my best to get within 100 yards or less...with my favorite rifle and load.
While I can make hits out to 200 yards with this load and rifle...I do not practice enough at that distance to take a hunting shot at that range.

If one wants to hunt ...
One needs to know their rifle and load intimately...When in the game fields that is not the time or place for guessing or wishing.
We owe it to the animals we hunt , to give them the quickest and cleanest death that we can...
Andy

Hunting: The legal pursuit of wild game for food and/or sport.

All of our skill levels are different with our chosen equipment. I won't bad mouth another hunter if they hunt within the envelope of their tool and skillset. If we expect to continue having the privilege of hunting, we should be more focused on supporting each other and not being divisive.

Hunting: The legal pursuit of wild game for food and/or sport.

All of our skill levels are different with out chosen equipment. I won't bad mouth another hunter if they hunt within the envelope of their tool and skillset. If we expect to contine having the privilege of hunting, we should be more focused on supporting each other and not being divisive.
Beautiful, hang tight for butchered quote :D

As a native to Oregon having hunted here more than 60 yrs, you just don't know what/who you'll run into out there.
Had a co-worker tell me not to kill a baby possum because in Alabama it was considered a Big Game animal.
Young hunter in Brown Carharts head to toe, adult with him (during a doe hunt,many hunters lots of does)interrupted me by saying yeah we already had that talk this morning in camp. I was going to tell him had I been less experienced I would have shot him. Many stupid things out there; gaging distance for most hunters is never perfect, shooting at what they think is an animal could be deadly for some hunter.

Thoughts on long range varmint hunting ?
Same as long range big game hunting?

Rat shooters that take shots from 400-600 yards.
That to me at least is different. Still would not want to wound one but for some reason it would bother me far less. The big game seems so majestic to me for some reason. Would kill me to wound one and take a while to track down and finish. Not sure why things like sage rats really would not. Still would want to be able to clean kill but would be likely to take long shots at one.

LOL I been deer hunting for 50 years now. Never has this been a problem. I guess I don't hunt in open enough country. The one time I would have taken a shot over 200 yards was Antelope hunting Juniper unit. I had a nice buck at an easy 500yds the .270 I was hunting with was sighted in for 3" high at 200 yards I knew the ballistic path for my load. But with nothing but sage brush for miles and no way to even kneel and keep view of the beast I didn't even try. 2 hours of stalking and he out paced me.

I think the distance for an ethical shot is the one in which the animal can be killed in the most humane way possible and retrieved. For me, my eyes and a .308, that keeps shots under 250 yards. A friend of mine is an avid shooter and hunter and 1000 yard kills are not uncommon for him. Some people say long distance shooting isn't hunting. I challenge them to hit a 12" plate at 600 yards. It takes skill, just a different kind.

I completely agree.

When I was an avid hunter, I 'always' shot at distances I knew I was competent.

Just like the other recent questions in the hunting threads, there is no RIGHT answer.

Okay. But I'll take a stab at it... what I consider an "ethical" distance is that where the competency of the rifleman, and the performance of the rifle, scope, cartridge, bullet, exterior conditions, and animal, all align to provide a humane kill.

Right? :D

Totally agree. Although range depends GREATLY on the hunter. I have seen some that I would never set foot in the back county with again. The thread No_regerts started on this a while back was a great example. People heading off to "hunt" who could not make a competent kill at 20 yards. I have known a few over the years who would talk about "taking shots at" game. Meaning they had no idea whether they could hit what they shot at but would send lead at the animal. Have seen some head off, tag in pocket, with a rifle they had never sighted in! Would say something like "well I bore sighted it". To me if you are not willing to spend the time and money to know where the damn gun hits you have no business hunting with it.
I see it every year. I hate hearing, I got a shot. For every shooter there are way more than come here to the east side that aint shot there rifle in years. I hear it. Well I bore sighted it . Right

Yeah but your competent distance isn't the same as the next guys and what is extremely long distance for you may be ho hum for him.

My BIL shoots with a guy who dropped an elk at over 1600 yds last year. It never took a step. For him, on that day, under those circumstances, that was an ethical shot.
The first part had me on board in agreement but the 1600 yards in my mind, is just pure conceit. None of my personal acquaintances will exonerate that shot as as ethical.

Practice to know your limits.

Place a tennis ball out at a known distance and shoot at it in various field positions like you would experience while hunting.
The distance you stop hitting the tennis ball minus 50 yards or so is pretty close to your personal limit using that rifle/ammo.

A tennis ball is much smaller than the vital zone on most any big game animal, aim small, miss small. Confidence kills.

Go practice, it is how you buy confidence.

The first part had me on board in agreement but the 1600 yards in my mind, is just pure conceit. None of my personal acquaintances will exonerate that shot as as ethical.

Those guys are ELD match shooters. Some matches, they start at a mile, and go out from there. My BIL has the funds to hang with those guys, but sadly, most of my $$ goes to kids sports and college tuition, so I can only dabble. I have watched some of them though and they are next level shooters. I really dont think they would take shots on animals that they weren't sure where the bullet would go.

Maybe they could get closer, maybe not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads