JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That doesn't make it hunting anymore than walking up to a steer in the pasture and shooting it in the head. No hunting skill at all. Getting into bow range of a wild animal usually takes hunting skills.

And zero shooting skill. Dumbazzes buy a bow or rifle the week before the season, dont practice, blow the guts out of some poor animal to leak over three counties before they die somewhere its unrecoverable.

Thats huntin' right thar!

Last Edited:
I do my very best hunting at a local butcher shop.

Some things you can't buy...

721FC414-8487-4263-A210-2506D0DEE972.jpeg

F47158C6-C02E-4A20-86A1-001BFDA2A098.jpeg

960AF44B-AE12-4CA3-BD98-977E2E9C9454.jpeg

P

Yup, sounds reasonable to me. Why not? :)

There is a big canyon I hunt where Nothing grows higher than your shins. The only way to stalk is by using the folds in the land. I'd get closer if there wasnt a very deeply cut creekbed that is difficult, if not impossible to cross. We could come up the other side, but it puts us at odds with the landowners nephews who hunt the same area. So, we started to shoot from further out and then hike out and around the creek bed, which is miles, to get our animal out. I color code my flags for yard markers when I can.

There is a big canyon I hunt where Nothing grows higher than your shins. The only way to stalk is by using the folds in the land. I'd get closer if there wasnt a very deeply cut creekbed that is difficult, if not impossible to cross. We could come up the other side, but it puts us at odds with the landowners nephews who hunt the same area. So, we started to shoot from further out and then hike out and around the creek bed, which is miles, to get our animal out. I color code my flags for yard markers when I can.
So you really do?
That's tits.

Any shot past 60 feet is rediculous!!!

If you can't get as close as 60 feet from an animal you have no business hunting:p:rolleyes:.

What a bunch of judgmental folks on this thread (if the shoe don't fit then I ain't talking to you so don't get your undies in a wad;)).

Either you can make the shot or you can't - done.

My ethics may not line up with your ethics - all the jibber jabbering that is done about I am right and your wrong is pointless....

Glad I didn't waste my time reading more the 5-6 posts:confused:

Last mule deer I shot over east was offhand at 430 yards. Dropped where he stood. No magic involved, no bipod or shooting sticks
I've practiced allot and always have.
Lots of wide open spaces and not allot of spots to get in close.

I think it would be un-ethical to prevent a big-game animal from getting as close as they want.
It's really not my place to project my belief system onto another species. They can get as close as they want...it's their right. If that Elk self-identifies as a house cat and wants a tummy rub, I'll shoot it at arms length.

Last mule deer I shot over east was offhand at 430 yards. Dropped where he stood. No magic involved, no bipod or shooting sticks
I've practiced allot and always have.
Lots of wide open spaces and not allot of spots to get in close.

430 yards offhand. I've seen some pretty fair shooting but nothing like that. Check out the last line of the full poem in Ura-Ki's sig line. That's you.

P

It has made for very fond hunting stories.
Both my father and father in law saw it all go down. My dad said hey there is horns, father in law piped up and said oh geeze that's to far away. The buck was crossing in front of us, I whistled at him and he stopped and looked right at me. Father in law continued to talk in his loud everyday voice. Saying it's to far, I said maybe for you... he was just starting to say are you gunna shoot?
Just then the 7mm STW barked and down he went..

• 430 yards offhand. I've seen some pretty fair shooting but nothing like that. Check out the last line of the full poem in Ura-Ki's sig line. That's you.

I think that this is a hard topic.

In my opinion, mostly because of a different issue.

I don't see this as ethical vs unethical.

I see this as those that do it and understand what they are doing and those that don't.

Those that actually hunt with a rifle out to 1000+ yards know what they are doing. I know a couple from when I lived in NV and up here in OR.

Then there are those that don't hunt or even have shot at these distance and see it as, well, how ever they see it. Unethical, unneeded, maybe stupid or dangerous. Or whatnot.

I think that's the issue really.

If you really want to debate eithics in hunting, lots of other legal weapons that produce less lethal hits all the time and I don't see them getting brought up. One specific legal weapon I have witness twice in my life not ethically kill an animal right away that comes to mind is the compound bow.

To be upfront, I'm not a long range shooter nor hunter. I did put in a lot of time and money when I wanted to do the whole 1000 yard shot with a 308. I know what goes into shooting at those distances. So when I see hunters spend loads of time and money perfecting their skills to do so. I don't question their ethics.

I'm glad you brought up Nevada, because that's where I grew up. I also agree with what you said. I'm also of the opinion that a person has to know his or her own limits and when I hunt, I focus completely on making that 1 shot count. No matter the distance..... ;). I'll also add that those that say, "you just need to learn to sneak up closer" have obviously never hunted some of the places I have or put themselves in my moccasins. Until they do, they have no business telling me how far I can "ethically" shoot at a game animal...
VeelQX5.jpg

How far are the flags planted from the salt licks? :D

Har Har Har....

There is no guarantee the deer will show up and its a b!tch of a hillside to get to. Its about 1500 feet of elevation change from the top of the ridge to the bottom of the creek bottom. I've glassed each finger and draw. During the summer, I will put a few flags out so I'm not wasting time if a decent buck makes an appearance.

I'm glad you brought up Nevada, because that's where I grew up. I also agree with what you said. I'm also of the opinion that a person has to know his or her own limits and when I hunt, I focus completely on making that 1 shot count. No matter the distance..... ;). I'll also add that those that say, "you just need to learn to sneak up closer" have obviously never hunted some of the places I have or put themselves in my moccasins. Until they do, they have no business telling me how far I can "ethically" shoot at a game animal...
View attachment 565320

Same kinda country I hunt.

95F87D48-FFD4-4583-A4B1-3CB3744ECEA6.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads