JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many people over rate the condition of their fire arms and ask to high of price, and a lot of people pay way to much. A low ball offer is what a pawn shop would offer.

You use the term good/great condition, that can be a 2-300 dollar difference in value from good to great.

If I am not embarresd by the offer I make to someone, then I offered too much. I can always go up but never back down. If you are pissed off when someone offers a low (to you offer) why? Its up to the seller to say yes or no. Everyone wants the best deal they can get buyer or seller.
Its only an insult if you take it that way:p

This thread proves value is subjective and based on a variety of factors. Some are willing to pay a premium for FTF, others would rather support a local shop if they are paying near retail price anyways.

I think the more detail in the ad the better, including why you're selling, whether or not quick sale is needed, etc. Try and preempt lowball offers. On the other hand, if you're open to negotiating, say so.

I don't think there are too many people here looking to gouge other forum members, just people trying to stretch a dollar (buyer and seller). Our hobby isn't always cheap. And often times the subjective value of an item is very different between the two parties.

When I buy a gun I want it for as cheap as I can get it.

When I sell a gun I want to get as much out of it as I can.

That being said, I have no problem with people giving me a "lowball" offer. I cant blame a guy for trying.

When I post a gun for sale, My price is normally a little high. I do this for 2 reasons, 1rst is "wiggle room" 2nd is, I don't like to sell guns.
When I get money for a gun My wife ALWAYS has a different idea of what the money should be spent on. TRADING, this is where my heart is.

Lowballing is just part of the game, some people take personal offence to it & some don't.

When you see a gun for sale from me, feel free to "lowball" me. But remember You will probably get a better deal with a trade than with cash.

For example, yesterday I did a trade with a guy, shotgun for shotgun. If you where to have both guns appraised, I would say I took about a $200-$250 loss, but I got something I wanted & he got something he wanted. You may have called his offer a "lowball" offer, I called it "SOLD"

I was car shopping last year, looking for a very specific and rar-ish car.

I found one locally that looked good on craigslist, except that it had a salvage title. Blue-book was something like $9k, but I expected to pay more than that for a nice/clean car, however, this guy was asking something like $8k. Remember, salvage title.

So I went and looked at it, figuring if it looked good maybe we could meet in the middle (I was figuring 50% of high blue book would be a fair price).
When I got there, I saw some dings in the bumpers and a little rash on the tires. The car was rare enough and what I wanted, so I offered $6k, which is more than it was worth, but I figured I could waste a . He said no, end of story.

A few days later, the sellers wife e-mailed me, wondering if the offer still stood. I had come to my senses and declined. That car was still for sale months later and the last I saw, he was asking $6200.

I guess the point is, some people ask way too much and a "lowball" offer might be "fair market value" or even higher...

Many people over rate the condition of their fire arms and ask to high of price, and a lot of people pay way to much. A low ball offer is what a pawn shop would offer.

You use the term good/great condition, that can be a 2-300 dollar difference in value from good to great.

Great is a subjective term. I use the word "great" to describe an item that is not too beat up to show your friends, but not so nice you're afraid to actually use it. i.e. "this gun is in great condition, well broken in, all bugs worked out, already has holster marks so you don't have to worry about that." If I said excellent, I'd be lying.

Great is a subjective term. I use the word "great" to describe an item that is not too beat up to show your friends, but not so nice you're afraid to actually use it. i.e. "this gun is in great condition, well broken in, all bugs worked out, already has holster marks so you don't have to worry about that." If I said excellent, I'd be lying.

:s0155:

Negotiating price is not something that most people are comfortable with . The problem is that most people get emotionally involved when haggling and get angry inappropriately .
Many times that "ridiculous" offer is simply a person not really interested in purchasing , but they don't want to appear cheap or stupid by declining the item outright , so they make an offer so low that they know it won't be accepted . I negotiate for a living , so it's not emotional , just business . There are any number of opinions regarding an item and it's worth - buyers never feel that an item is priced too low - sellers always feel that they cheap sold their item regardless of the price . When someone makes a statement about the value of an items that is obviously way off , I simply smile and invite them to keep looking if that is their budget . Value or perceived value is in the eyes of the buyer - only by comparing prices for like items can they truly form an accurate opinion .

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top