JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay so disclaimer I have never hunted anything before. My buddy and me thought it could be a fun experience to try our hand at hunting coyote but I wanted to make sure we do our research first.

Aside from the firearms (which neither of us are new to) from what I have read so far we really only need a small game license since they are "unregulated" and possibly an electronic lure.

I also have no idea where we might go for our first time after getting all our gear. Would it just be on any non private land and no parks outside city limits?

If anyone has done this before and can provide a quick "to-do" list that would be awesome! I'm also doing my research online but hearing from people who have done it is always better.

I will pick up my special ordered Hornady Varmint 12 gauge number four buck tomorrow at the Bimart in Woodburn. They received mine plus four additional boxes. This stuff is designed for coyote hunting. A shotgun and a rifle are necessary. There are many videos on YouTube. Also varmint hunter magazine. You will need patience to sit still while you hear the excruciating noise of the call. I had a bear come in and a crazy mama deer.

Okay so disclaimer I have never hunted anything before. My buddy and me thought it could be a fun experience to try our hand at hunting coyote but I wanted to make sure we do our research first.

Aside from the firearms (which neither of us are new to) from what I have read so far we really only need a small game license since they are "unregulated" and possibly an electronic lure.

I also have no idea where we might go for our first time after getting all our gear. Would it just be on any non private land and no parks outside city limits?

If anyone has done this before and can provide a quick "to-do" list that would be awesome! I'm also doing my research online but hearing from people who have done it is always better.

Good start!

Any rifle will do, depends on what you already have and what kind of terrain you will hunt.

Where to go: Take the MAX, being sure to open carry your rifles so you don't get in trouble. Get off somewhere near 3rd Street. Walk to Pioneer Square where you will find an abundant supply of coyotes. Edit: usually some mules too! ;););)

Last Edited:
Never heard of a "small game license". All you should need is a resident or non-resident hunting license.

When hunting in area with cover, you can use either a mouth call or an electronic call. If you come east and hunt in more open country, say with sagebrush, IMO an electronic call is best. Get a good speaker horn, place the call away from you at a good angle for your concealment. Tie a white rag, hankie, whatever, to a bush at the location of the call. Even better if there is a breeze or a wind, towards you, that will move the rag. This will keep the 'yote's attention while he attempts to put the sneak on his dinner. Wait for a good shot.

If wanting a pelt, FMJ bullets. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Last Edited:
All you need...
upload_2017-11-8_23-4-25.jpeg

Never heard of a "small game license". All you should need is a resident or non-resident hunting license.

When hunting in area with cover, you can use either a mouth call or an electronic call. If you come east and hunt in more open country, say with sagebrush, IMO an electronic call is best. Get a good speaker horn, place the call away from you at a good angle for your concealment. Tie a white rag, hankie, whatever, to a bush at the location of the call. Even better if there is a breeze or a wind, towards you, that will move the rag. This will keep the 'yote's attention while he attempts to put the sneak on his dinner. Wait for a good shot.

I wanting a pelt, FMJ bullets. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

I used a tail off of a stuffed animal as my lure. I strung some 6lb monofilament fishing line to it and would tug on it from time to time.

You need some hate in your heart like a balled up fist.

Please return your shopping carts to the proper cage.

lol?

good luck, it ain't magich

I once got on to a Montana ranch on a private road. The rancher came out to investigate. When he saw my rifle he was slightly confused. He asked what do I shoot them with ? I replied my hunting rifle. He said don't that leave big holes in 'em ? I said yes but I was shooting for practice. He got out of the truck and shook my hand saying " I hate coyotes".

A Farm or Ranch is a good place to start.

If you ask an owner for permission. Be sure to also ask about where the animals are moving throughout the day.
And where they are pined up in certain locations. Also the location of the houses and out buildings . So you can avoid sending rounds in any direction that may cause the owner anxiety.

In other words go over the rules first. And show concern for the Ranchers property and animals up front.

Many will be more than happy for you to kill there coyotes. Even give you tips and locations to do so on the ranch.
Or make call to other Rancher friends and get you on to there property. ;)

My last post about coyote hunting took place on an interesting day. I put on 225 miles leaving from East Glacier, Montana on a cold day with fresh snow. A guy might stop and ask permission on a small place under 4000 acres but I never did unless I was out of state. North Dakota for example. No time to socialize as stopping on a remote ranch is likely lead to an invite for a two hour lunch. Of course hunting game that requires a license deserves a stop to ask permission but that would not be any kind of varmint hunt.
And of course that meant shooting from the vehicle which on occasion might be a super cub. I was east bound out of Sweet Grass on a county road covered with three or four inches of snow in high range doing fifty mph. Two of the finest silver bellied dogs I have ever seen crossed the road ahead at high speed. Except for some little dips the land was very open. No cows ,houses or any thing else that isn't to be shot. I hit the skids while rolling down the window. As a lefty the set up was excellent. I peered through the scope. Wow I could see them and they were moving straight away. They dropped into a dip and disappeared. I knew my chance had passed. I looked up and saw a road marker. It was Canadian. I still have never hunted in Canada. The centerline of that road was the border. I headed back south toward the Sweet Grass Hills.

I've never done this but I know....

Wind direction is everything.
Stay downwind so they can't wind you.
Ignore that and you are wasting your time. You are on an armed nature hike.

Quietness (no slamming car doors), stealth (super good blind) and a good vantage point to view "customers" coming in.
Keep movement to a minimum....they have good eyes.
Move your eyes not your head when scanning.

A good rabbit squealer call and learn how to use it.

Give a set-up 20-30 minutes and then move on ( 400 - 500 yards).

Last Edited:
Be prepared for failure.

I've tried a lot of public land close to Portland with out any luck since February. Thought I found a nice place way out east, but that turned out to be surrounded my windmills and inaccessible.

An unfortunate side effect of the new Amazon and FedEx hubs in troutdale is that since they were built on ideal coyote habitat (grass wetlands) it displaced a lot of the local yote population to wherever they can hide. A few weeks back, about 10 pm, I saw a big male yote running down halsey near 181st.

1) They're everywhere.

2) NEVER engage in calling unless you go one hundred percent serious, covering all the bases, taking all the precautions for success. Doing otherwise, you are merely a Coyote educator, not a killer.

3) Be ready the very second you open up on the call: most recently I had a dog on top of the electronic call inside of 30 seconds.

4) If no response in 20 minutes or so, go to greener pastures. Away from the zone where your call reached on first attempt.

5) Watch 360. Bears and bobcats almost always come from behind. Coyotes are borrowing from their playbook too.

6) Mouth operated calls work at least as well as electronic: advantages are instant modification of sounds (volume, "drama" added, etc.) Electronic calls offer the advantage of remote sourcing: directing the dog to a location other than yours.

7) Gun you are comfortable with (and can shoot well fast), camo clothing, call, patience and perseverance: all you need.

8) See #2 above.

GIT 'EM!
PA120151.JPG

Last Edited:

I would start with a phone call to the Fish and Game for recommendations as to where to go..........The F&G guys ( (here in Idaho)are no fans of coyotes and would gladly help you out. I am sure they would like the dog population reduced in sage grouse areas for instance. My neighbor has had great success with one of the new recorded calls and a tail on a stick. Watch the wind direction. They have great eyes but there noses are incredible. I find a 5.56 AR with a good scope about the perfect smokepole to use.

@Spitpatch Familiar handle! Welcome back.

I don't hunt, way too lazy and don't like sitting in cold much/at all! I sure like reading these threads though, so keep us in the loop of your hunting endeavor, pictures, stories and all.

@Spitpatch Familiar handle! Welcome back.

I don't hunt, way too lazy and don't like sitting in cold much/at all! I sure like reading these threads though, so keep us in the loop of your hunting endeavor, pictures, stories and all.
We can get you a heated bunny suit and you can hop around in front of the blind.
When you hear "Hit the deck !" assume a low profile and plug you ears.

:)

A call and a gun.

I have yet to blast one, I have all the supplies from a nice IcoTec 550, a Mojo decoy, good shooting rifle, camo and many places to go.

My buddy on the other hand, borrows my stuff, my shotgun and shoots one in less than an hour with 00BK.

WTF?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top