JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sharp-shinned hawk just now smashed into the window here where I'm working at home. Beautiful animal. Work of art. Definitely worth getting mounted.
I'll wait a couple of hours. Birds often revive after a hit. This one looks dubious. Gently tried to find a heart beat. Nothing.
If you know a good taxidermist, please share. Also, how best to keep him? In the refrigerator or freezer? I don't want to damage to body.

Would be a drive but …. Natures Way Taxidermy in Spanaway Wa is amazing however, you're going to be waiting. Worth a call to see if he's taking customers or willing to even do it.

Sharp-shinned hawk just now smashed into the window here where I'm working at home. Beautiful animal. Work of art. Definitely worth getting mounted.
I'll wait a couple of hours. Birds often revive after a hit. This one looks dubious. Gently tried to find a heart beat. Nothing.
If you know a good taxidermist, please share. Also, how best to keep him? In the refrigerator or freezer? I don't want to damage to body.
You might wanna be careful......just saying

It's possible that if you contact usfws and had a very good reason, like donating to a school for educational purposes or even donate to a museum they might give you a permit to have it mounted. But for personal use I highly doubt it

You might wanna be careful......just saying
Good advice. I've made several calls to groups that (I thought) might be interested in a donation. I soon found myself hearing stern lectures about the Migratory Bird Treaty making it illegal for me to have the bird in possession. This from desk jockeys who clearly knew less about the MBT than I do. (I did MBT work in Alaska.) Just as the old saying goes, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. LOL One more example of the over-the-top bureaucratization of America. This bird is as much a work of art as anything hanging in a museum. Tossing it into the dumpster would be the real crime. Anyway, thanks.

My wife's cousin hit a owl and did the taxidermy himself. It actually turned out really good for being a dentist and not a taxidermist. I told him just don't let anyone you don't trust see it 😉

My wife's cousin hit a owl and did the taxidermy himself. It actually turned out really good for being a dentist and not a taxidermist. I told him just don't let anyone you don't trust see it 😉
Just as an aside, the Fish and Wildlife Service informed me that I had to turn it in to them. They'll then donate it to an Indian tribe so they can use the eagle feathers. The woman was surprised when I explained that a Sharp-shinned hawk isn't an eagle.

Isn't everything these days? Perfectly okay to provide the means whereby to slaughter 20,000 women and children but if some dumbo gets a hawk stuffed it's the firing squad for him. Sorry, don't mean to be feisty. You're totally right, though. Thanks for sharing.
I'm with ya.....all drugs are legal (decriminalised) but picking up a dead bird for peoples enjoyment and helping educate children you'll have the feds kicking your door in! Is it just me or is something terribly wrong with that picture?....i know what the feds are afra of, if it was legal to mount them people would take advantage of the rules and start killing them just to mount....ok I'm done ranting 🤨

Just got a call from an educational institution. They're thrilled to get the specimen and will come by my house to pick it up. Problem solved.

Thanks to all you guys for the feedback. It's kind of a big deal for me as a matter of respect. I hunted much of my adult life, and I also lived with Native folks in Alaska and northern Canada. I share their view that we owe proper respect for the creatures whose lives we take. Sometimes after a hunt, I'd sit for a long time looking at the animals...and wish them well on their journey. Same with this hawk. I've seen him before in the backyard. Touched me that now he's dead.

Just got a call from an educational institution. They're thrilled to get the specimen and will come by my house to pick it up. Problem solved.

Thanks to all you guys for the feedback. It's kind of a big deal for me as a matter of respect. I hunted much of my adult life, and I also lived with Native folks in Alaska and northern Canada. I share their view that we owe proper respect for the creatures whose lives we take. Sometimes after a hunt, I'd sit for a long time looking at the animals...and wish them well on their journey. Same with this hawk. I've seen him before in the backyard. Touched me that now he's dead.
Good on you for putting in the effort and locating a group that can make good use of the animal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top