JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wind! It can be your best friend or the ugly overweight ex wife!

Drake(1).jpg

Break in those shoes!
Visit the area you are going to hunt throughout the year in different weather (to check your gear and scout the area)
- if you plan on packing out your game. bring a pack tray and throw a log or rock of similar weight and walk back to your vehicle.

have a plan if Mr Bear gets to your game first.

Public land:
Conflict resolution know when to walk away
Just because you are an ethical hunter, the majority are not
How are you going to handle the situation when someone walks up to the same downed animal and claims they shot it too (had this happen twice)

When you have a target in your crosshairs, take a moment to assess where it is standing and facing. It's either going to fall or take off running (usually in the direction its facing) Don't shoot an animal in an area you are not prepared or willing to retrieve it from... ie. a ravine, bottom of a hill, a body of water, field of devil's club....

I've packed a deer out of a deep ravine and will not make that mistake again.

I have also shot a moose standing in knee high water. Problem with that, it was the moose's knees, which turned out to be my chest so I will not make that mistake again either. That was a long two days....😁

Spend time glassing where you'll be hunting, get to know the land and habits of what you're hunting. Every time I've failed to do this my hunting trip was nothing more than a long walk in the woods with my gun.

Always hunt with an old timer. Old timers tell better stories and bring finer whiskey.
But when that old timer gets his Chevy Tracker stuck with one front tire over the edge of a steep bank, held in place by the tree to keep it from sliding over the hill, remember that you too are over 60 and shouldn't be trying to push a Tracker back onto the road because you might just hurt your back. Don't worry about the fact the old timer is on heart medication. Go ahead and just spend a cool night in February 2024 in said Tracker, then in the morning walk the six miles down to a Forest Service road where you might possibly flag down another vehicle. That six-mile hike is a lot more miserable with a bad back, and getting out of bed for the next week or two will bring its own form of torture. Seems like a lot of bother just to check some game cameras and maybe pick up a shed or two. All hypothetical of course. :oops: :(

"Thanks" by the way to Ryan from Lowell for the ride to the Oakridge DQ. And to the stout lads from Oakridge that helped by bucking a huge tree out of the road and winching the Tracker back to solid ground a couple of days later. A reminder that there are still a lot of good folks out and about in the mountains, despite a few stories you might hear to the contrary.

Need to know hunting advice: (I'm probably not getting this exactly right, but from a story I read in RMEF's Bugle magazine a few years back)

"Swirling winds, fading light and thundering hooves, reminded me once again - you don't always get what you think you deserve when elk hunting. You get what you get."

That has always stuck with me. You can do everything right and still have the situation blow up on you. You can do it wrong and still get lucky. Preparation, hard work, the right equipment, etc., all play a part. But in the end, you do indeed "get what you get".

But when that old timer gets his Chevy Tracker stuck with one front tire over the edge of a steep bank, held in place by the tree to keep it from sliding over the hill, remember that you too are over 60 and shouldn't be trying to push a Tracker back onto the road because you might just hurt your back. Don't worry about the fact the old timer is on heart medication. Go ahead and just spend a cool night in February 2024 in said Tracker, then in the morning walk the six miles down to a Forest Service road where you might possibly flag down another vehicle. That six-mile hike is a lot more miserable with a bad back, and getting out of bed for the next week or two will bring its own form of torture. Seems like a lot of bother just to check some game cameras and maybe pick up a shed or two. All hypothetical of course. :oops: :(

"Thanks" by the way to Ryan from Lowell for the ride to the Oakridge DQ. And to the stout lads from Oakridge that helped by bucking a huge tree out of the road and winching the Tracker back to solid ground a couple of days later. A reminder that there are still a lot of good folks out and about in the mountains, despite a few stories you might hear to the contrary.
Chevy tracker? You mean like those old small Suzuki/geo rigs?

Chevy tracker? You mean like those old small Suzuki/geo rigs?
If it wasn't small, I wouldn't have been foolish enough to even try. When I was younger (in my 50's) he drove a lifted Subaru Loyale. A couple of times a year I would shove him off of a high center in the snow, or out of a ditch. I learned my lesson the other day. Use your brain not your back. I'm doing much better now, but probably won't be pulling my bow back or swinging a golf club for another week or two.

If it wasn't small, I wouldn't have been foolish enough to even try. When I was younger (in my 50's) he drove a lifted Subaru Loyale. A couple of times a year I would shove him off of a high center in the snow, or out of a ditch. I learned my lesson the other day. Use your brain not your back. I'm doing much better now, but probably won't be pulling my bow back or swinging a golf club for another week or two.
I loved those old subys

Spend time glassing where you'll be hunting, get to know the land and habits of what you're hunting. Every time I've failed to do this my hunting trip was nothing more than a long walk in the woods with my gun.
This the best advice of all.

I've always ALWAYS been very familiar with the land to be hunted. Visit the prospective hunting ground regularly for months, if not years, before hunting day. Using that method, I've never gone home empty-handed, and have usually been on my way back home in short order. In most cases, it is not the first time I've seen the game that has been taken.

Always hunt with an old timer. Old timers tell better stories and bring finer whiskey.
Most people are at least middle-aged before they can afford to drink fine whiskey let alone bring enough to share with youngsters who are used to cheap rotgut and want to drink a single-malt scotch like it's soda pop. Or--oh the horror--mix it with water!!! (Shudder.) More than a drop or two to bring out the aroma.

Most people are at least middle-aged before they can afford to drink fine whiskey let alone bring enough to share with youngsters who are used to cheap rotgut and want to drink a single-malt scotch like it's soda pop. Or--oh the horror--mix it with water!!! (Shudder.) More than a drop or two to bring out the aroma.
Oh, I LOVE a good single malt scotch. Just a little bit in my glass, neat, and I'm a very happy man.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top